DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off what a great site you guys have got here. This is my first post and hopefully you will have an answer as the shop does not. The truck runs great up through the gears and rpm range until it hits OD. Once in OD it skips and can get a little jerky. Shop said #8 misfire so replaced wires, coil and injector. Problem did not go away. SO more money spent at the shop for an intake gasket and "transmission diagnostic". Shop says no problems with tranny but #'s 1 and 3 misfire this time. I told them I would take it from here, Im spent guys do ya'll have anything that might cold point me in the right direction?? Jordan

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
First off what a great site you guys have got here. This is my first post and hopefully you will have an answer as the shop does not. The truck runs great up through the gears and rpm range until it hits OD. Once in OD it skips and can get a little jerky. Shop said #8 misfire so replaced wires, coil and injector. Problem did not go away. SO more money spent at the shop for an intake gasket and "transmission diagnostic". Shop says no problems with tranny but #'s 1 and 3 misfire this time. I told them I would take it from here, Im spent guys do ya'll have anything that might cold point me in the right direction?? Jordan
Could be three things to cause the transmission issue.
1. TPS (Throttle Position Sensor - On Throttle Body)
2. OD Solenoid (In the transmission on the valve body)
3. 3-4 Shift Accumulator Piston Spring (Prone to breaking - causes delayed 3-4 shifts)

I would start with inspecting the spring if it needs replacing, then I would check the TPS sensor, if the TPS sensor is bad it can be the issue of your misfiring as well.
Lastly the OD Solenoid, the 4th gear is electronically controlled and if the OD solenoid is failing then it can cause this.

It is possible that the jerking feeling you are getting in 4th gear is due to constant shifts in and out of 4th gear, this can be caused by a faulty TPS sensor and a out of adjustment throttle valve cable as well however the throttle valve cable is the least likely. I would try to isolate if it's shifting in and out of 4th in this case by keeping an eye on the tach to see if the RPM's drop or increase by about 600 RPM when the jerking occurs.

Now back to the TPS, if the TPS is faulty it won't always throw a code because many TPS's develop a blind spot in the middle of the sensor which will cause a voltage spike and the ECM won't take it as a fault but as a WOT response. You can connect a ohm meter to the TPS to test it, if you are looking at the connector on the TPS their are 3 pins, you put the red led on the far right pin and the black led on the center pin then slowly push down on the accelerator and watch the resistance change, if the resistance drop while pushing down on the accelerator then their is a blind spot. You could also try getting a professional scan tool which will report sensor voltages etc...

The OD Solenoid should read about 36K Ohms, however try testing it with a 9 V battery to see if it clicks on and off, don't keep the 9V battery on the solenoid for too long because you will burn out the solenoid very quick, the OD solenoid is designed for a 5V PWM signal not a 9V DC signal so be quick about it.

Any problems or questions I am more than happy to help you

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ramvan, thanks for a great and well detailed response. You sound like you really know your stuff! I Have already replaced the TPS and that didnt fix the problem. Hopefully its narrowed down to one or the other that you mentioned. I will pull the truck in tomorrow and do the test's you provided and see what I come up with. Thank you very much and I will let you know what I come up with. Jordan

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
Ramvan, thanks for a great and well detailed response. You sound like you really know your stuff! I Have already replaced the TPS and that didnt fix the problem. Hopefully its narrowed down to one or the other that you mentioned. I will pull the truck in tomorrow and do the test's you provided and see what I come up with. Thank you very much and I will let you know what I come up with. Jordan
I rebuild these transmissions so I have to know my stuff :p
If you get stuck please hollar

1 - 4 of 4 Posts