DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, I'm new here and new to owning my truck. I have a 2005 Ram 2500 quad cab SLT short box with the 5.7 hemi auto trans 4WD. (That's a mouth full)
I replaced my radiator fan clutch two days ago. Now my fan won't stop turning and I can't even hear the radio over the fan, much less the glass pack exhaust. I've seen all over the internet where people say that it stops after a few minutes, but mine won't. I drove it for over an hour mostly on the highway going from town to town. Is there a break in period or do these new clutches all this way? Previously I almost never heard the fan but have never over heated. I need help because the wife can't stand it and neither can I. Any ideas and advice is welcome, especially from past experiences! The Autozone part number for the new clutch is 922789 and I could only get a close up picture of it. The old clutch I am holding in my hand.

Loud pipes, are better than loud fans...

·
Registered
'18 RAM 3500 4WD Tradesman 6.4
1,080 Posts
You say you rarely heard the fan but your truck never overheated. That made me wonder why you replaced the clutch.

But anyway, no, there's no break in period.
I will say that best I remember I've had maybe 4 bad, but brand new, fan clutches over the last 20 years, and I've only replaced maybe 12 or so.
I know I've had one bad one from autozone and at least 2 from napa.
So assuming the fan clutch doesn't release after just a short amount of time (less than a minute for sure) when the engine is cold, I'd take it back and ask for another one. You won't be the first customer to do that, I promise you.
If that doesn't fix it, then it's time to start looking deeper, but if the new fan keeps roaring even when the engine is cold, I'll bet that you got a bad one.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thermostatic fan clutches are pretty simple operation, so if the one you put on is staying engaged all the time, then it is BAD.
You know what they say, NEW stands for Never Ever Worked before...
Return it get another NEW one and see if it works.

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Have to agree. If you cant spin it without much effort by hand, feels stiff, it probably bad. Should maybe make the whirr sound when first start, but should quit within a few minutes when cold.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all this is actually the fastest I've ever gotten or play on any forum anywhere. 9thousandfeet, had to replace the clutch because the bearings went out and the whole clutch wobble back and forth but the water pump will still good. I am honestly surprised at how many times y'all have had to replace those clutches I'll probably look into collecting on the warranty today. DJH3, I can spin it but it does feel stiff almost like the putty that we used to play with in elementary school where have you pushed harder it would become a solid. This one does spend freely but is really stiff I can barely turn the clutch by hand without the fan on it at any decent speed. Oh, yes the clutch stays engaged all the time even when the engine is cold we just had a cold snap today. It is in the mid to lower 40s and the fan stayed engaged my whole drive to work I can't even hear my radio over it.
This is been very helpful and thank you to all who took the time to reply I will post updates as I work on the truck this evening after work.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Yeah, it really does sound like you got a defective new fan.
Please do come back and report on how it all plays out — reporting on a problem all the way to its resolution is what makes forums like this so useful.
Good luck.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I just got back inside and the news isn't good. I got another new fan clutch and the fan works great with much less noise. Down side it the sound we thought we fixed isn't. I'll start off by telling y'all what happened from the beginning.

I was out fishing and the power steering pump went out Saturday, sucker was louder than the truck(impressive). When we replaced that this new sound started happening(video included). So I started to go through what was rough and sounded bad on the truck. Both idler pulleys sounded like the toy hot wheels cars. We broke the tensioner in the process so we replaced the whole arm. When we put the belt back on the sound still existed. That is when we noticed the fan had significant wobble in the clutch but not the water pump pulley. Upon replacing that we had the problem that started this thread. Skip to current time, new clutch and the crazy sound that started after replacing the power steering pump is back.

There is a wine with engine speed from 2500 rpm to about 3300, at 3500 this bone chilling screech starts. I took the serpentine belt off and rev'd the engine and no sounds. With the belt off I noticed the water pump when spun by hand sounds like a crying baby. We wrapped some cord around the alternator and spun it as hard as we could and noticed it sounded dry and a hair rough but not something I would think to make the screech that sounds similar to running a chainsaw on a metal table. Cool part is that if I keep my RPM's down all is good. But I'm completely lost with what this sound is. I'm gonna see about ripping off the water pump unless someone else has a better idea.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
OK, well at least the fan clutch issue is resolved, so, onward!
Yeah, those kinds of noises can be tricky to locate. A mechanic's stethoscope is a fairly inexpensive and useful tool to have in a toolbox for occasions like this.

That said, if you don't have one, and taking things a step at a time;
I took the serpentine belt off and rev'd the engine and no sounds.
That's good, 'cos now you know it's something driven by the belt (or, indeed, the belt itself) and not internal to the engine.
With the belt off I noticed the water pump when spun by hand sounds like a crying baby.
That's not so good. A water pump shouldn't sound like anything at all when rotated by hand. And given that the old fan clutch had been wobbling around on there for who knows how long, it's not unlikely that the pump bearings suffered from the vibration and are now squealing at you. This can happen without feeling any play in the pump shaft, and without the pump leaking necessarily. This is where I would begin. I'd put on a new pump.
Both idler pulleys sounded like the toy hot wheels cars.
Idler pulleys shouldn't really make any noise to speak of either. I'd probably change those too, if they're making noise. A lot of this belt driven stuff is probably real close to the same age, so it's not at all uncommon , once one thing goes out, to find other components in various stages of approaching their service life too.
We wrapped some cord around the alternator and spun it as hard as we could and noticed it sounded dry and a hair rough but not something I would think to make the screech that sounds similar to running a chainsaw on a metal table.
Yeah, I'd go with your instinct on that one. Alternators can sound exactly like that when spun by hand and still run a long time problem free.

Also, I'm assuming the belt is in tip-top shape? If it's not fairly new and especially is it's showing any visible signs at all of glazing or cracking, I'd throw a new one on just because. Belts can squeal and make you crazy too. (Maybe, as a check, with the engine running, spritz the belt with a water spray bottle in a couple of places to see if that makes any (brief) difference to the noise at all. If it does, throw on a new belt and see where things stand at that point.)

My money's on the water pump at this point though, given your descriptions of what's happening. To be honest, given that the fan's been wobbling for who knows how long, I'd change that pump anyway, even if it's not making a racket.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Midday update while on break at work, I pulled into the parking lot and got curious so I brought the engine up to speed at which it was making the sound and then turn the wheels to full lock and at full lock it stopped making a sound. with the engine up to speed and no pressure on the wheel it contained to make the sound and even when I was turning the wheel continue to make the sound it only stopped when I had the wheel at full lock which makes me curious if it's not my belt or the power steering pump I bought was bad as well. To be honest the belt is slightly glazed and has a few cracks if not in bad shape but it is heavily used. I will probably go ahead and replace a belt today and if that doesn't solve my problem then I will collect on the warranty and replace the power steering pump again for money sake. If that does not solve the problem the water pump is the next step.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
That sounds logical enough.
Like I said, if the belt is glazed or cracked, throw a new one on just because.
That said, a water pump which makes noise when turned by hand is not really acceptable, and in my view leaving it on there is just asking for trouble. If it was my truck, I'd change that pump even if you end up discovering that it's the belt or the steering pump making the noise.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree and will definitely get to that before May. Especially since I'm driving halfway across the state of Missouri 5 hours one way on the 2nd. last thing I need is to be broken down on the side of road replacing a water pump.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Did some looking and probing with the stethoscope this evening after work. The sound is definitely coming from the new power steering pump. Got the new belt on it, will get the pumps exchanged tomorrow morning.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I didn't expect that, but if that's where the noise is coming from, so be it.
So you got a bad fan clutch AND a bad power steering pump - 2 for 2!
Impressive!!!
LOL

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
So update again took it to the dealer last Tuesday they said it was the power steering pump again. Had them replace it and I took the one back to the parts store to get my money back. Problem solved! They were also kind enough to pull a nail out of my tire for FREE. The Sunday before that I noticed that at 3500 RPM the pulley for the pump moves inwards towards the pump, when they happens you can hear the grinding sound. Hopes this helps somebody. I replaced everything except the A/C compressor. Turns out I just bought two bad pumps in a row. Both were MasterPro, lesson is that even if it cost 250 dollars doesn't mean it works. Current one came from Napa. Thanks for all the help. Btw I've spent almost 700 dollars all totaled after returns.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Thanks for reporting on how it all played out.
It's always helpful when problems are tracked down all the way to a conclusion.
It's maddening and time-consuming to buy a brand new part and find that it's defective, but it happens all the time.
It's even more maddening, and it can be confusing as all get out, to get two in a row.

·
Registered
3,480 Posts
What amazes me most is, that he got it off without cutting it off and buy a new water pump with it... Mine was like welded. As I finally had it off, I had to clamp it in a vise and hit it the hex nut with a chisel and after about 20 hefty hits it finally came loose- I just wanted to try when it's out, if it even comes loose.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts