DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was driving around 45 mph in his 2001, 1500 4x4 he heard a noise then the truck stopped moving. I removed the pan and observed clean fluid with little shavings on the magnet and no apparent broken parts of plates or clutches. When the engine is running I hear a whining noise, almost like a power steering pump makes, but the truck will not move. I checked the transfer case to see if the chain was broken however, it seems to be fine. Could it be the torque converter? Or is it more likely the transmission? My son is on a tight budget and can’t afford to experiment by randomly changing parts till we find it. I need to be accurate in diagnostics and fix it as inexpensively as possible. I was a diesel mechanic in my former life and retired from it 15 years ago and things have changed a lot since then and having never been real strong in transmission diagnostics anyway, I can use all the help I can get so any advise would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Try starting and moving to neutral. Does the noise change? (Neutral moves the trans to full flow. A change in noise here would be a telling clue.) First thought is the pump is bad. The noise could be the converter not getting fluid as a result of a bad pump, or noise from the pump itself.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It does not change at all. He did say it seemed to be shifting harder a day or so prior to the failure.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Whining is usually the torque converter not having enough fluid, which, in your case could be a bad pump. Proper service? Bands adjusted? Filter ok? Sounds like you have a transmission to pull.:doh:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I’ll be off tomorrow and start back up. Thank you for all the advise I now have a starting point. I’m sure I’ll be back for more advise. Again thank you and I’ll post the results.

·
Registered
142 Posts
If everything on the trans and torque converter check out, look at the u joints on the rear drive shaft. Its possible one of the failed and isnt allowing the driveshaft to turn the tires. A failing u joint can also cause the hard shifting and clunking noises when going into gear

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We decided to replace the transmission with a reman. My son had to save up the money first. Put it in last week, so far so good. I appreciate all the replies and help. Thank you.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts