DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Beloved Truck or MPG wonder

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we all know, gas prizes are rising by the minute. Now was I wondering what you guys are doing, would you guys stick with you beloved (gas guzzling) truck or change to a hybrid (or some other MPG wonder) I would have to start paying around $9,25 a gallon in a couple of months so I am going to enjoy the $4 a gallon for now

Dutch Dodge

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Well it all depends how much you drive among other things. The way I look at it is like this, my huge quad cab full size truck gets nearly 20mpg avg, where as my old mini truck s10 with 4 cylinder and manual got just over 20mpg avg. Basically no difference. Even if I got a car that gets 30mpg avg over my ~20mpg avg, it'd save me a say $1,000-$2,000 a year and I drive a lot. Yeah it's a lot of money, but it won't cause me to foreclose on my house. Besides, it's not that much anyway because I ride my bike to work often, and that get's about 50 mpg, and my wife has an aveo that gets 25-35 mpg and we drive that when possible.

I'd say buy a beater 4 cyl car for like $1,000 and that'd be your best bet.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
I do both!

For the most part when the family and I go out it's the truck. I also often use the truck when running around town, so I'd call my truck my daily driver.

That being said, I also own 3 other cars that I drive frequently (well 2 as the Challenger is her daily driver and I rarely drive it). I've got a 2007 PT Cruiser that I had originally purchased to use as my "out of town vehicle", but now that I'm working locally I use it to go back and forth to work. There is much debris and large pot holes in the rail yard where I work, I can see the hole better to avoid them while in the PT, and the 16s on it are a lot cheaper to replace than the the 20s on my truck if I pick up a spike or other nasty while dodging debris.

I've also got a Honda CR-Z (a hybrid) that gets about 33 MPG (I recently put in a little over 8 gallons of gas after 389 miles on a tank, it's got a 10 gallon tank) around town while driving it like I stole it. I use this mostly for around town driving, but not always. The Honda was purchased as a toy, and with the plan to give it to my son in a few years (he's currently 12 going on 30).

That being said. I didn't buy the truck with gas mileage in mind, nor did I buy any of the others, it just so happens that the Honda does well. I tend to fill up my truck about every 10-12 days, the PT about every 3 wks, and the Honda about once a month.

Exco

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
I wont stop driving my Ram. I like to be comfortable, at 6' 5" and 300 lbs. I want some room. My Ram gets avg. 18 to 20 all around, since I dont horse around. I dont see the extra 1000 or so I would save as a huge deal, to me its worth it. We do plan to get a new car for the wife and was hoping the Magnum would make a comeback this year, since we loved our 05 and traded it at 120,000 miles, on the 2010 Ram 2500 that I just traded for the 2012 1500. If the Magnum does not make a comeback this year sometime then probably a town&country van or grand caravan. Wife likes to cart kids everywhere. (ours, neighbors, relatives, strangers...lol..j/k)

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
^I love my ram, but I'd sell it way before my bike. Plus then with the money I made off the truck I could buy 2, 3, or maybe even 4 more buell's (could have one of all the models I like...firebolt, lightning, 1125, ulyssey...) :). Or maybe even one of the new EBR models coming out next year :).

·
Registered
868 Posts
When I can't afford to drive my Ram anymore I'll just stay home!!

·
Registered
717 Posts
My 2500 is not only my daily driver but my daily work truck too. I need this truck to work with and there is no way I'm spending $ on another vehicle just to putt around in. Not even a cheap $10,000 car. That will buy a lot of fuel for my truck mister! U can keep the gas miser, It won't haul chit for what I use my truck for. If we ever see $9.00 gasoline noone will be doing chit, let alone a hybrid. Diesel will be more which will stop all trucking of goods dead! My sugestion is vote R this fall, you'll thank me!:smileup:

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Unless they have fixed the LPG freeze up problem when the temperature is hot outside
I would not buy one. Also the LPG tank will take up a lot of the bed space & it will only have an 8 gallon gas tank
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The new Ram Hybrid
Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Hybrid that will hit the streets in 2012. Unfortunately you can’t have one! Chrysler are building a special batch of 140 plug-in pickups (they need to be charged at a power-point) which are being distributed across various climate zones throughout the US and will be used by government agencies, universities and utility companies – so I suppose you might get a chance to drive one if you work for one of them! The advantage of the 12-kWh lithium ion batteries is that they will enable the Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Hybrid to run like a normal vehicle, without the low-speed limiter – although as yet we don’t know how effectively they’ll pull. The disadvantage is range, which is only about 20 miles before the glorious 5.7 Hemi takes over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDkGyWO0Sp4

·
Registered
35,470 Posts
Love my RAM......I guess you can say that I didn't buy it for gas mileage.....LOL....I am very happy with it so far......

·
Registered
64 Posts
It's a tough call. I considered selling my Ram recently in exchange for something better on gas. I did it just to see what my options were, and to prepare myself for the hike in gas prices. My result was that it wouldn't save me much to trade it in. Since my truck is only 2 years old, it is not paid off and I had negative equity on it. Long story short, I was going to pay the same monthly for a Corolla that was 2 years older than my Ram, with 30,000km more. Not to mention that I had 3 years left to pay on the Ram vs. starting a new 5 year loan. Just didn't make sense. My situation has since changed and I don't do as much driving as I used to, so I've decided to keep the Ram.

If you work your truck the answer becomes clearer, you NEED your truck, and don't really have a choice (Civics don't haul lumber well!) and for the amount that you might actually save with a "beater" probably wouldn't offset the gas prices anyway.

I don't actually need a truck, however I do haul bikes and sleds from time to time, so a truck is useful to me. I've looked into many options; such as selling the truck for a beater and renting a truck when I need one. It's a surprisingly economical option(where I live anyway) but, its the random days when a truck has come in handy, and the hassles that come with other options, that have swayed me to deal with the extra costs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts