DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2004 Ram Hemi 4X4 with 225,000 miles. I have never had a problem and runs great. Yesterday truck would not start. I have checked fuses and codes and no codes are detected and fuses appear to be okay. I sprayed starting fluid in throttle and engine will start and run for about 3 seconds. I beleive it is probably the fuel pump. Does anyone have any suggestions?

·
Registered
63 Posts
The first thing you can do is cycle the ignition switch on and off (3) times. (do not try and start). Leave the key in the on position, and if there are any codes(and i'm sure there will be) they will be shown in the odometer
display. If you don't have access to the codes, then do a search on-line for it. FYI: there is no external filter. There are (2) in the tank with the pump. I bought a scanner after my warranty ran out on my 03', and it has saved me a lot of money. Cost about $300.00.
I also bought the factory service manual on a CD for $30.00 and it is also a big help.
There are several things that the computer needs to start these engines, so I wouldn't just start replacing parts.
Good luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Get someone to turn the key on. If you listen near the gas tank you should be able to hear the fuel pump start up when they turn the key on.

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
It could be a bad fuel pump relay , but with the mileage you have on it and more than likely it's the original pump , I'm gonna go with a bad fuel pump . Have someone crank it over and with your hand , bang on the bottom of the fuel tank . It may start then . If it does put a pump in it .

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
no codes come up when fuel pump goes bad... easy way to find out.. on fuel injector rail there is a shrader valve, take it off..try to start (put rags around area)..if pump doesnt work, hardly any gas comes out..

1 - 6 of 6 Posts