DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all,im lookin for help got a 99 2500 with the 5.9 v8 was going down the road went to pass some one and couldnt do more than 25 mph, relpaced fuel pump, now it wont start so i replaced ect, crank, cam sensor, iac, map, cap and rotor, and spark plugs, used computer off a running turck, new timing chain and gears, new coil and still wont start, i have fuel pressure, compression and spark, all it will do is crank, every once and awhile when you put your foot to the floor and crank it will try to start, i have compresion anywhere from 100 to 120, blue spark, 50 psi of fuel pressure and it will hold it over night, it just wont run
any help is great

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Will try to start with eather? Have you looked in plenum for oil?

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
You have fuel, fire. So no computer issues. The only thing is air and if you have a blown plenum gasket there is little or no vacuum to draw air into intake.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Holding the throttle wide open during starting shuts off fuel to injectors,= 'clear engine mode' I am inclined to think that it's flooded, if it fires while mashing the motor. pull plugs, spin engine (holding the throttle wide open) and either replace plugs or dry them out with a propane torch. Just don't get carried away with the torch and screw the plugs up...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Will it start if you spray some artificial fuel down the throttle body , like carb cleaner etc...?
nope

Will try to start with eather? Have you looked in plenum for oil?
nope and no
You have fuel, fire. So no computer issues. The only thing is air and if you have a blown plenum gasket there is little or no vacuum to draw air into intake.
got fuel and fire, ill have to look at the plenum gasket

Holding the throttle wide open during starting shuts off fuel to injectors,= 'clear engine mode' I am inclined to think that it's flooded, if it fires while mashing the motor. pull plugs, spin engine (holding the throttle wide open) and either replace plugs or dry them out with a propane torch. Just don't get carried away with the torch and screw the plugs up...
when i hold the throttle wide open thats when it trys to run

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no the plenum gasket didnt work, im lost, i have had it for a little over two months and can not find a problem, still looking for any help

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
What's the ect that you mentioned? Engine coolant temp sensor?

Since you replaced just about every other sensor, I'd try the TPS as well.

Are you using oem replacement sensors or knock off's? Some aftermarket sensors will not work properly as they're not manufactured to the same tolerances as oem.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had an issue like that where is felt like it was suffocating..The engine wouldnt go past 40mph...Turns out it was the Cat converter...It was screwed..Take a quick look at that, is it in bad shape? While your at it, replace the oxygen sensor as well..Go online and get yourself an Innova OBD-1/2 diagnostic tool, I got one for 225$, comes in handy bigtime!! Once I replaced the Cat converter/ Y-pipe assy, she ran awesome! The Cat was bad and all the internals wwere broken up all inside it causing the engine to basically suffocate!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Yes good point, it is possible for the cat to cause this. Also possibility is bad fuel pump or clogged fuel filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Engine not starting

Ugh...The fuel pump, that would suck...I hate the fact that ya have to drop down the tank in order to get to the pump and filter...I wanted to check out mine as well but without a lift Im screwed.. I bought my Ram from an old man who used it on his farm only...Its a 95 but it only had 68K on it( the old man died and his son just wanted to sell it off, so I paid $1500 FOR IT, WHICH WAS A STEAL!!) Its now worth $4500 after all of the modifications Ive done to it since I bought it...Let me know how ya make out bro! A cool site I found was scottykilmer.com- dude is bad ass! Check it out..

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
IMO it's easier to lift the bed off the truck with a group of friends rather than work upside down over your head trying to drop the tank.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
An easy check for a bad cat is take the precat o2 sensor out and tie it off to the side and go for a drive. Yah it will make some extra noise but if it runs fine it will tell you that it is a bad cat. Removing the sensor releases backpressure that a bad cat can create. Try it with both side if you have a cat on each side.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
An easy check for a bad cat is take the precat o2 sensor out and tie it off to the side and go for a drive. Yah it will make some extra noise but if it runs fine it will tell you that it is a bad cat. Removing the sensor releases backpressure that a bad cat can create. Try it with both side if you have a cat on each side.
Have you actually done this?

The pre cat "upstream" O2 sensors are what primarily affect A/F ratios. I don't even think it would run without them properly in place. Also, I think exposing the O2 sensors to the fresh oxygen while running can ruin them (although maybe that's only when they're hot...not sure...).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts