DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have a 06 ram w/ a 5.7 hemi. A week ago I went to start the truck and all i could hear is clicking. Cleaned the conections at the batter, the starter and where the wire comes in at the side of the fuse box which did nothing. So i took the starter out and had it tested and it was bad. I bought a new one but it still wouldnt start. I also tried changing the battery with no luck. So then I bought a new starter relay. Still wont start. So I start checking voltage. I only have 10v on the small wire at the starter when the key is turned to start. At the relay I have 10v on the wire yellow/red stripe wire and 12v on the trigger wire.
i dont know what to check next. anyone else had this problem please help

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
A tech that use to come in here every day, once typed that Dodge charging systems are a bit different. a 1/2 charged battery won't completely work right, they need almost a full charge before use & the alternator won't do the job. The battery needs to be put on a battery charger & given a complete charge when ever it gets run down.
When you buy a battery at a shop, it really only has a surface charge.

So that may be the problem in your case

Good Luck

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've charged the factory battery and have put a different battery from my other truck with no luck. Right now I had to buy a remote start trigger which has two wires with alligator clips and a handheld trigger. I have the wires going from the small terimanl on the starter and the 12v side on the starter. I have to turn the truck ignition to the start position and hit the trigger which spins the starter and my truck starts.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same issue. Power supply to starter relay pulses while cranking preventing the truck from starting. I have a relay wired up to back feed the starter so it starts normally with the key. It's not the tipm, as I've swapped it with a known good one. Also at the same time as this problem occurred, my gauges all started reading inaccurately, my odometer went to metric and my power door locks won't lock but do unlock. Once I figure out what the cause is, I'll post it here

1 - 5 of 5 Posts