DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2019 Ram 1500 won't start, lights ect work just clicks when I push the start button. Fuse?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Maybe.
Could also be a loose battery terminal, loose or bad ground strap, dodgy relay, bad ignition switch or defective starter, inadequately charged battery and a few other things.
I'd start by checking the battery and its connections if you have the means to do it. By all means check fuses too. Not sure what you have in the way of tools and equipment or wrenching experience to get into things any deeper.
It's a 2019 though, and I imagine it's still under warranty, so if push comes to shove it could be towed to the dealer for repair and not cost you anything but some time.

·
Registered
3,492 Posts
Jump it and see if it starts.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Might be brake switch, brake has to be pushed to start if switch is not working that will stop it. What happens if you remote start it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have a 2019 Rebel. Retired so I don't drive it every day. At times she sits for 3,4 days or longer. When I jump in to start her, I have to push the button 4 times before she turns over? Everything works she just won't start? If I drive on consecutive days, no issues whatsoever ever?

·
Registered
2,393 Posts
I have a 2019 Rebel. Retired so I don't drive it every day. At times she sits for 3,4 days or longer. When I jump in to start her, I have to push the button 4 times before she turns over? Everything works she just won't start? If I drive on consecutive days, no issues whatsoever ever?
We certainly understand why this would be concerning, Dj91. If you are not able to determine a solution based on suggestions provided here, we kindly recommend following up with your local Ram dealer for further assistance on this.

Mark
RamCares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the same problem. Oout of warranty. Did you get it figured out?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I'm having the same problem with same truck. Did you get a resolution?
Hi Toakes, and welcome.
Unforutunatly the member who asked the original question hasn't returned to say if they solved the problem or not, and hasn't visited the forum in more than a year. We all wish everyone would report whatever the solution to their problem was, but sometimes they don't.

Anyway, in your situation, if the starter just clicks instead of turning the engine over, the first thing I would check is the battery voltage. These trucks need a full battery charge and clean battery terminals to work right, and if they don't get it, all kinds of oddball problems can result.
You should have a minimum of 12.6 volts at the battery with everything turned off.
You also need to know that the battery voltage doesn't drop off a cliff when things get turned on, and the only way to do that is to have the battery load tested. An autoparts store can do this for you if you can get the battery to them.

There are other things that can cause the issue you're having, but knowing for sure that it's not a battery problem is the place to start.

You don't say what tools you have available, or how much do-it-yourself wrenching you're comfortable with. That kind of info will help folks share their ideas with you too.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi Toakes, and welcome.
Unforutunatly the member who asked the original question hasn't returned to say if they solved the problem or not, and hasn't visited the forum in more than a year. We all wish everyone would report whatever the solution to their problem was, but sometimes they don't.

Anyway, in your situation, if the starter just clicks instead of turning the engine over, the first thing I would check is the battery voltage. These trucks need a full battery charge and clean battery terminals to work right, and if they don't get it, all kinds of oddball problems can result.
You should have a minimum of 12.6 volts at the battery with everything turned off.
You also need to know that the battery voltage doesn't drop off a cliff when things get turned on, and the only way to do that is to have the battery load tested. An autoparts store can do this for you if you can get the battery to them.

There are other things that can cause the issue you're having, but knowing for sure that it's not a battery problem is the place to start.

You don't say what tools you have available, or how much do-it-yourself wrenching you're comfortable with. That kind of info will help folks share their ideas with you too.
Thanks for the response. I actually work at a automotive assembly plant, so I'm pretty well versed in the subject matter. But don't really know how push button starters work.

I didn't have time to check anything this morning when I ran into the problem. Once I get home (luckily the truck is in my driveway) I'll check the battery and connections along with the voltage.

I was able to get the truck to click over to 'RUN' and all the lights and such turn on but never turned over. Auto start from the key fob doesn't turn the truck on either.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Battery is at or around 12.5v when I try to start the truck, still won't turn over. Tried to jump start it as well with no luck. Took the battery into an AutoZone and they said that its a good battery. At this point could it be the Starter??

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
12.5v isn't quite fully charged, but if you tried jumping with no luck, the issue probably isn't the battery.
Next thing to check is make sure the battery terminals are clean (you did that already I bet) and also follow the ground cable to where it connects to the engine/frame to make sure it's clean and secure.

Where we are now is knowing there is battery power available, but that power is either not getting to the starter when you press the button, or it is getting to the starter and the starter won't work.

The original poster said they have a "click" when you press the starter, but the starter doesn't engage.
If that's what's happening for you too, and if that "click" is coming from the starter, then yeah, it could be starter itself, or maybe the electric terminals on the starter are dirty or corroded.
You could check the terminals on the starter, and clean them if needed. If the "click" is definitely coming from the starter when you (or a helper) pushes the button, then maybe pull the starter and have it bench tested. Autozone can probably do that for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The click is definitely coming from the starter. I cleaned the terminals on the starter and tried again, no luck. I guess next step is take the starter off and have it tested. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well here's a follow up from my issue...

Had a tow truck driver come to my house to take it to the shop. He opened a latch that's underneath the parking brake lever and pulled the orange ribbon to take the truck out of park. Once he did that, we tried starting it again and it fired right up! It started in Neutral and in Park. I still took it into the shop and they said that there was a bit of corrosion on the starter due to all of the recent rain we've gotten in the Metro Detroit area. Lots of newer vehicles are having these problems I guess.

Sounds like it just needed to be shifted out of park and back into park or neutral to 'reset' something. Wish I new that ribbon was there from the beginning.

Hope this will help anybody else going through something similar.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Hey Toakes, many thanks for posting how it played out!!
Finishing the story is a major part of what makes forums like this such a useful resource, and we all wish everyone would do it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having the same issue (Ram 2019 1500 Larime 116K miles). Battery at 12.34v (I know low) but tried to jump it. I hear a click sometimes but seems under the dash or under the hood not the starter. No lights dim. Also weird I can not use the door lock buttons to lock the truck but can use the fob, I can unlock from the door? Remote start does not work from the fob either, just a horn on the second one. I can click through to ACC and start without putting my foot on the brake and everything seems to work. I will try the solution above and let you guys know. I don't have a lot of faith it will. Looking for other advice (will most likely get it towed today to a shop.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2019 Ram 1500 won't start, lights ect work just clicks when I push the start button. Fuse?
Just solved this problem. Its a combo battery/ starter problem. Gotta change em both. Changed the starter didn't fire up, got a new battery and first try good to go.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts