DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

Need some help.

I am so close to pulling the trigger on a 2015 PW Order. I am having some last minute reservations over MPG. I know that's not why you buy a PW, however, I don't want to be the worst MPG on the road either.

I will be ultimately towing a small travel trailer ~ 5000 lbs on weekends and essentially empty otherwise. Will I regret not getting the regular 2500 with the Cummins?

Any input would be very welcome!

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
#1: Mpg is NOT why you buy a PW.

#2: you won't tow enough to justify a 6.7.

Frankly, Theres NO justification for getting a PW. Youll never use it to its full potential, not even close. Its complete overkill. You buy it cause its a bad ass truck.

From your stated needs, the 6.7 is also overkill....and while its a nice truck... its not a PW. ;)

In this case I'd get the truck that trips your trigger...If you buy one over the other because of a few extra MPGs, which is a terrible reason to choose a Diesel 2500 over a PW, youll probably have regrets.

But get the diesel if it makes you feel better. If it was me, I'd get the HEMI powered PW.

Good luck.

·
8,063 Posts
A new 2500 Cummins will destroy a 6.4 Powerwagon mileage wise. Both unloaded and towing. However as stated above, you don't need either to tow 5000 pounds... You could do that with a 1500 no problem. An EcoDiesel may be another option to look at.

If you are going to go with a 2500 I'd opt for the Cummins for sure. If you're going to go big and overkill you might as well do it all the way :gy:

·
Registered
27 Posts
if you're posting in the PW forum it must mean you're leaning toward it already. I agree with what Ramajama said above. If you plan on doing some fun off road stuff the power wagon is the way to go.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I think Brandon has a good thought on looking at the Eco-Diesel. Perfect for your use and will get great mileage. PW is cool but so is the Laramie Eco IMO.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Many thanks for the inputs gentlemen. Fully agree that both options are overkill. But as most here would fully understand - it's not really about what one needs here - it seems it's more what one wants!

I really like the niche factor of the PW - and I hope to one day be able to engage at least of a few of its unique capabilities. Just wanted to confirm with you experts the advantages of both. Appreciate the time you have taken.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Many thanks for the inputs gentlemen. Fully agree that both options are overkill. But as most here would fully understand - it's not really about what one needs here - it seems it's more what one wants!
You are correct sir. Unless money is a limitation, or one has a very particular need, or one is a very practical person by nature, it's really about buying what you want in the end.

·
Registered
47 Posts
If price is a factor, this time last year when I bought my 1500, the local dealers were offering the cummins option at no charge on the 2500 line for the current year.

·
Registered
481 Posts
If price is a factor, this time last year when I bought my 1500, the local dealers were offering the cummins option at no charge on the 2500 line for the current year.
You lose all the cash back offers if you take this silly promotion. It is definitely not free.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
You lose all the cash back offers if you take this silly promotion. It is definitely not free.
I got 9k off MSRP for my truck in July. Very happy with the Cummins. Lot's of power and great mpg. On the back end, I expect to get most of the diesel premium back when I trade it in.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
What was the msrp before you started negotiating?
$60,400 - 9K = $51,400. My Duramax needed 4k in work, so I would have been happy with 14k tradein, but they offered 17.8k, so that sealed the deal with the extra 3.8k on the trade-in.

I went through the Internet dealer guy and 9k off MSRP was the selling price. I did great on the trade-in, so I didn't try to get a better deal. I could have done a little better probably at a dealer 40 miles away, but my dealer is only a couple of miles away.

Best part is I have a new truck and warranty. My Duramax was out of warranty and had the weak head gaskets, so I always babied it. I did spend 30 bucks getting a good wash and wax job before taking it to the dealer. He said it looked way better then he expected. It looked real good especially for living outside for 9 years.

·
Registered
11 Posts
If you are pulling only 5000#, why are you buying a 2500? A 1500 will pull that quite well, and get much better mpg. I have been pulling 8000# with a 1500 just fine. But, my wife wants a bigger trailer. So at 9000# I just bought a 2015 2500 with the 6.4L. I only have 280 miles on it, but so far I get 15 mpg overall (not pulling), and 19 mpg on the freeway (going 60).

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
derbeck - I hear ya. It's about having a bigger truck. 5000# is a non-issue for the 1500 for sure. Sometimes you let your wants get in front of your needs - and that's what's happened with this obsession I have with the 2500s.

I am impressed with your 6.4 mpg! Certainly higher than many accounts I was reading thus far. Please let me know what you come up with once you start pulling your trailer!

I am curious - what was your main motivation for gas over diesel?

Thanks.

·
Registered
42 Posts
IMO the only benefit to buying the diesel in your case would be trade in value later on down the road. I think anything you might save at the pump buy buying diesel you will spend in the beginning by buying the diesel engine over the gas. I think that diesel maintenance is also going to run you more than gas. Besides anyone can have a diesel but not everyone has a POWER WAGON!!!!!! Id go 6.4 PW. FWIW i have a 2011 PW with the 5.7 and in town i get at best 11 and that it 100% stop and go driving. Not sure about highway will check next time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just traded my 2014 PW in on a 2015 3500 6.7. I hadn't intended on using my PW for pulling but it ended up pulling a lot more often that I thought, and it didn't like it. I was not very impressed with the 6.4 even though I had 4.10 gears. So I went back to the diesel, we'll see what the mpg's will be

·
Registered
120 Posts
The PW is a bad ass truck and you will most likely be the only one in town with one but you sacrifice all that on MPG. The cummins is also an awesome option but I have just never been a diesel guy and couldn't justify jumping to diesel when my main concern was a tough truck that could handle anything I wanted to throw at it. The PW can more then handle my drunkest adventures out on the farm and lease and that is a amazing feat in its own. When you see your new shiny truck stuck in a deep mud hole and in the 3am whiskey haze you remember that hidden tow truck tucked nicely in the bumper to simply pull that fat pig right out of the hole you will justify pulling the trigger on the PW and forget all about that gas pump. Just my personal experience haha. Either way your driving a nice truck so its just what is gonna make you the happiest.

·
Banned
1,086 Posts
I don't think the Cummins does much if any better on fuel... I am getting 15-16 with my PW, 17 if it is all highway. I run it 80-90 mph up the pass... just because I can. I didn't buy it for towing or economy but so far it does both pretty well. If I wanted to tow something big around a lot going back to a Cummins would be the way to go for sure. Not buying a PW because the Cummins gets better mileage would be a mistake, it is a 1-2 mpg difference at best.

Yes you can recoup most of your investment in the diesel at sale time but the same is true of the $8000 PW option, they retain value MUCH better than a standard truck.

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
I don't think the Cummins does much if any better on fuel... I am getting 15-16 with my PW, 17 if it is all highway. I run it 80-90 mph up the pass... just because I can. I didn't buy it for towing or economy but so far it does both pretty well. If I wanted to tow something big around a lot going back to a Cummins would be the way to go for sure. Not buying a PW because the Cummins gets better mileage would be a mistake, it is a 1-2 mpg difference at best.

Yes you can recoup most of your investment in the diesel at sale time but the same is true of the $8000 PW option, they retain value MUCH better than a standard truck.
I get 21-23 mpg on the highway unloaded @ 70 mph. I verified by hand calculating several fill ups. Of course, I'm at 800-1000 feet above sea level which is pretty low. Mixed driving around town I'm at 19.1 or so. The best part is diesel is cheaper then gas where I live.

That said, I want a Laramie PW.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts