DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So growing up with a single mother didn't quite made me learn many stuff MAN do, and I'm talking about messing around with automobiles, most of my uncles are very knowledgeable when it comes to do major mechanic work on their trucks, I however don't really fit into that category, yes I can disassemble something and mess with it but I might brake something... Well anyways what this post is about is that for the first time I did change the oil, oil filter, belt, spark plugs, and washed up the K&N air filter, it perhaps took me most of the day but hey I did it all by myself, not even my step dad helped me out, and I'm proud of myself :4-looney:

I am looking forward to many other things on my Ram in the near future as long money is available :)

Thanks for reading, enjoy your week!

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
That's awesome! There's something about a job well done (on your own) that makes it seem all that much better!

What usually gets me is time. I don't have time to tear apart my daily driver many times to fix a lot of things. Time, and sometimes, specialty tools.

E

·
0 Posts
Congrats on the achievement! I agree with Barnyard...there's nothing like a job well done when it's done personally.

So what's next, an engine swap? ;)

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,570 Posts
Nice job man, congrats! Thanks for sharing your story, and I agree, time and tools are my problem as well, but you always feel better when you do it yourself! :smileup:

- Cajun :pepper:

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys y'all rock!!! :smileup::smiley_thumbs_up::beerchug: :rockon: :w00t: :spinning::git:

·
Registered
6,640 Posts
:smileup:Hey man......i think thats awsome. We all got to start somewhere and somehow. nobody has it in them to just do it with out someone showing them or a incentive in there head that i can do this.Good for you and you should feel proud.:smileup:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Good stuff man. You learn a lot from doing things on your own, and if you break things, which'll happen, then you keep on going and keep on fixing. Far better than paying someone else to do it. Invest in some good tools and keep logging onto the forum and asking questions.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congratulations there . You do know that if ever you would need advice , were here to give you the guidance that's necessary .
Thanks, I'd need advice, well more like a walk through on changing the spark plugs...

:smileup:Hey man......i think thats awsome. We all got to start somewhere and somehow. nobody has it in them to just do it with out someone showing them or a incentive in there head that i can do this.Good for you and you should feel proud.:smileup:
Yes sir I do feel very proud =)

Good stuff man. You learn a lot from doing things on your own, and if you break things, which'll happen, then you keep on going and keep on fixing. Far better than paying someone else to do it. Invest in some good tools and keep logging onto the forum and asking questions.
Thanks buddy, what's the proper tool used to change the spark plugs on an 02 ram?

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
good job brutha!! nuttin like the satisfaction of doin it yourself...I was almost the same way when i first got my Ram in 05..I knew how to do the simplest stuff like that...then I started readin through the forums and started tinkerin more an more...now, guys are comin over to have me 'tinker' on their trucks..... that's me in the engine bay of the red truck..

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
Thanks, I'd need advice, well more like a walk through on changing the spark plugs...
Thanks buddy, what's the proper tool used to change the spark plugs on an 02 ram?
It's a special deep socket with a rubber insert so you don't snap the ceramic on the plug.

·
Banned
33 Posts

Yes sir I do feel very proud =)

You should know....1/2" or whatever...
Gap? any idea? Such a Virgin.

Sockets...

Read your manual...you do have one right?

"keep on going and keep on fixin'"...
Said well...

How about if I have had it with fix'. Just want to watch the work?

Listen Fred and Incog...
I have an old truck i'd like to see restored. On TV would be nice but. Not neccassary.

get my drift?

local pros ...all local and advertized.

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
Mr Cantu...can you tell us what motor you have in your 02? can't be a hemi cuz they dint start using them til 03+. So I think the motor choices are 3.7L, 4.7L or 5.9L...

·
Registered
6,250 Posts
You should know....1/2" or whatever...
Gap? any idea? Such a Virgin.
uh..try 5/8th's with the rubber boot....most used for spark plug changes are 3/8" drive sockets an wratchet's seein as spark plugs are mostly tq'ed to 7lbs which doesn't require any drive bigger then 3/8th's... AND, we were all virgins at one time or another...

·
Registered
852 Posts
You can pick up spark plug tool kits at your local hardware store, if not build your own kit with the following:

Spark Plug Sockets (5/8", 3/4", 13/16")
3/8" Drive Ratchet
4" Extension
6" Extension
3/8" Drive Universal Joint
Nose Picker*

* I don't know what these are normally called, but these are so handy to have around. Remerson knows what I'm talking about. It's a long, flexible tube around 80cm long with a prong at one end for you to pick up stuff from tight spaces you can't normally reach.

local pros ...all local and advertized.
I don't have the slightest idea what you're talking about.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
uh..try 5/8th's with the rubber boot....most used for spark plug changes are 3/8" drive sockets an wratchet's seein as spark plugs are mostly tq'ed to 7lbs which doesn't require any drive bigger then 3/8th's... AND, we were all virgins at one time or another...
My uncle said it's good to use one of those that have magnets so I won't drop the sprak plug...

I still haven't changed them, because of the holidays getting in the way but this weekend I plan to get it done!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts