DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
99 5.9L 24 valve cummings 6 cyl turbo diesel automatic

I bought the Superchips 3842 to get more power for pulling my 5th wheel.

I haven't tried it yet and still can return it. I had some friends tell me they're great but now I'm finding many issues with some internet searches. I called Superchips and they said they stopped support for my year and engine.

Any advice? I'm inclined to send it back and not risk it.

·
Registered
747 Posts
What issues are you finding?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I called superchips support last week, I was told they didn't support my engine for 98.5 - 02 models. I called again today to get specifics on why and was told the 3842 tuner will work fine but only adds 65hp.

I didn't want to try it until I understood it all a bit better. Mine is currently 215hp pulling a 5th wheel. The only towing issue is going over PNW mountain passes where it can cough and sputter on me a little when I reach steeper sections or nearing the top.

I'm hoping the extra 65hp will help enough and if anyone has had some thoughts

·
Registered
747 Posts
I'm not very familiar with your model year, but it looks like it adds just over 180ft ft/lbs of tq which is what will help with towing. If you're taking 90 to the east side, you should be good. Pulling Vantage is probably the only spot that'll slow you down, but that slows most pulling heavy.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the response and input though. I did run the towing tune yesterday and will be headed to Billings, Mt. in 3 weeks. I added another post to document my experiences on that trip.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
UPDATE - After talking to superchips support, I decided to give it a try. My Truck is now used primarily for towing the 5th wheel.

I'm headed to from Puyallup, WA to Billings Mt. at the end of the month; 6 mountain passes & 1 big long hill - Tiger Mt, Snoqualmie Pass, Vantage Hill (Columbia River), 4th July Pass, Lookout Pass, Homestake Pass and Bozeman Pass. Will be a good test since I've done this route 3x in the past.

1) I updated the 3842 F4 tuner data per instructions, got a "database 3 error, try again" message
2) Updated fine on 2nd try
3) Applied "Towing" Quick Tune with no issues.
4) Short test drive up a steep hill, seems like more power
5) Will report back my experience after the trip

1 - 6 of 6 Posts