DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I’ve a 2015 express 5.7, what’s a good tuner for this year, I’ve been online . But found nothing really concrete. What’s out there?

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Most use diablosport, for your 15 you also need to unlock your pcm or get another pcm.

Are you modifying your truck, or staying fairly stock?

If you don't want to do the PCM thing and are staying stock there is the Edge Pulsar.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Add a k&n cold air intake on my 2015 express a few months ago, it sounds great along with flowmasters. But I notice when I get down on it I don’t get that get up and go. I was getting more from my stock. No codes everything seem to be right. Is there something I’m missing. Tuner? Maybe? Please point me in the right direction

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
First off, do you run 87 or 89 octane fuel?

It seems as if the newer models don't like a freer flowing intake and exhaust without doing a tune.
Both of those mods help with sound and maybe on high rpms, but not so much on the rpm range that you drive every day.

It really comes down to the PCM - powertrain control module.
You have to either get a second one and a tuner OR
have your stock pcm unlocked and a tuner - which will void your warranty on the pcm and possibly the drivetrain. OR
get the Edge pulsar - which is restricted as to what it can do right now BUT it will let you change tunes on the fly and doesn't require any PCM mods.

Many people are happy with the Edge Pulsar - the tricky part is the price, IMO it is a bit pricey for what you get.

So warranty or not?
Or go back to stock and enjoy the better driveability and power but no sound.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
I sent you a pm, some seem to like it even on 87 octane. It will help the lazy pedal syndrome you are experiencing - but I do not at what cost as far as mpg.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I've had the edge pulsar for 4ish months now, it makes a very noticeable difference on performance with 91 octane. I saw a vid where a guy gained 24rwhp and 27rwtq or something like that. The truck is way more responsive.

I don't notice any difference on "tow" with 89 octane, and you need to run 91 with the performance tune. Damn near every aftermarket part will take away your warranty, the dealer will always try and fight. Edge claims there's no foot print left in the PCM but I call BS, with todays technology you can't hide anything. Well worth it for $500 U.S though!

·
Registered
15 Posts
why not just get the diablo tuner for 500? according to diablos site,they will send you a pcmr unlocked with the tuner,then you send your stock one back.no down time!

·
Registered
20 Posts
ok so here is the deal with hand held tuners and canned tunes which I'm assuming the pulsar is, most restrict you on how many times you can add tunes and remove them. if you re map the fuel trim and advance the timing (hence 93 Octane tune) you can not go back to 87 or 91 until you change back to the factory tune. Now if you ever need warrantee work you'll need to take the tune off and put the factory tune back on, the dealership won't know the difference. if you keep the performance tune on and take the truck in then they will defiantly notice the map and trim have been changed and void your warrantee. the Diablo Sport tune sends you a new unlocked ECM.....there is no way to hide that from the dealer unless you remove the unlocked ECM and put the factory one back in and make sure the factory tune is mapped in. I hope that helps a little, tuning can be tricky, most people burn up their transmission buy tuning higher shift points on a 93 tune without beefing up the trans. just running a 93 tune won't hurt but remember to reset the tune back to factory (most hand held tuners will automatically save the factory tune) before taking it into the dealership even for an oil change. never know when they will want to update the firm ware for some bull &$ap recall.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I did a DiabloSport T-1000 with a Hemifever 93 octane tune. It made more of a difference than any of the other minor mods I did. I'm not sure what a bone stock '14 ram 1500 4x4 crew cab dynos at but mine made 320rwhp(mustang dyno) with a cold air intake, muffler delete, and tune. Seat of pants tells me the tune was the majority of it. I have to run premium all the time but I don't do a ton of driving so the extra $10 or so a fill-up doesn't bother me. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm starting to hear more about this pulsar product mentioned earlier. It seems a little too good to be true imo. I thought the new-age dilemma for the tuner industry is the fact that factory pcm's are not allowing a one time unlock so-to-speak, rather they re-scramble the code every time you turn the vehicle on/off. I may be off on the specifics there, but I think that's the gist of it. Like others have said, that's why companies require a new pcm or swap.

A plug-in module is nothing new, actually older technology, so I'm surprised to see this here. I used to have a Jet module on my '02 dakota.

So to compare the pulsar to a tuner, the main difference is tuneability.. at least for the moment. I noticed diablosport and Edge appear to offer the exact same product, and according to an Edge video, they are working on making it tuneable.

Based on my understanding, the pulsar makes the tuner obsolete. Because you can disable MDS (I've heard mixed reviews on that for '15 an ups), return it to true stock without the burden of keeping the original pcm, change tunes on the fly via the steering wheel controls, and the price is identical.

I mean unless for some reason the canned tunes in the pulsar are less effective, I don't know why anyone would go the tuner/pcm route now. Though, I assume when tunability is capable, it will require at a minimum, an OBD to usb cord and probably non-free software, but let's be honest, probably 85% of customers will never spend the money for custom tuning.

The only advantages I can think of for a tuner, outside of custom tuning, are additional gauges and the ability to adjust CANNED tunes for mods as you go, i.e. headers, cams, etc. (which I don't think is available). Needless to say I think about this stuff often.. anyone else have these thoughts? :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
5,834 Posts
I'm starting to hear more about this pulsar product mentioned earlier. It seems a little too good to be true imo. I thought the new-age dilemma for the tuner industry is the fact that factory pcm's are not allowing a one time unlock so-to-speak, rather they re-scramble the code every time you turn the vehicle on/off. I may be off on the specifics there, but I think that's the gist of it. Like others have said, that's why companies require a new pcm or swap.

A plug-in module is nothing new, actually older technology, so I'm surprised to see this here. I used to have a Jet module on my '02 dakota.

So to compare the pulsar to a tuner, the main difference is tuneability.. at least for the moment. I noticed diablosport and Edge appear to offer the exact same product, and according to an Edge video, they are working on making it tuneable.

Based on my understanding, the pulsar makes the tuner obsolete. Because you can disable MDS (I've heard mixed reviews on that for '15 an ups), return it to true stock without the burden of keeping the original pcm, change tunes on the fly via the steering wheel controls, and the price is identical.

I mean unless for some reason the canned tunes in the pulsar are less effective, I don't know why anyone would go the tuner/pcm route now. Though, I assume when tunability is capable, it will require at a minimum, an OBD to usb cord and probably non-free software, but let's be honest, probably 85% of customers will never spend the money for custom tuning.

The only advantages I can think of for a tuner, outside of custom tuning, are additional gauges and the ability to adjust CANNED tunes for mods as you go, i.e. headers, cams, etc. (which I don't think is available). Needless to say I think about this stuff often.. anyone else have these thoughts? :4-dontknow:
Yes. Custom tuning is the only version worth spending money on, the canned tunes are useless since the entire point of tuning a vehicle is to allow that individual engine to make the most power it can safely and without throwing a generic new spark/fuel map at it. If you throw a canned tune on it you will not see the kind of gains you would otherwise have for nearly the same money.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts