DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Spoke to a customer today who does custom turbo's and turbo rebuilds. One of his suppliers (don't remember the company) has completed a single and twin kit for the 2012 5.7l chargers and challengers complete with TUNING! This will not be a PCM/ECM swap but will be a "bolt on" kit with a tuner to adjust the timing, fuel/air, and all of the other goodies. 5.7L Twin kit put down approximately 600hp through the wheels on the cars so the truck should be even more impressive! I'm just crossing my fingers that there won't be too much difficulty going from the cars to the truck on the tuning side.

Time line for production kits is late spring/early summer.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Spoke to a customer today who does custom turbo's and turbo rebuilds. One of his suppliers (don't remember the company) has completed a single and twin kit for the 2012 5.7l chargers and challengers complete with TUNING! This will not be a PCM/ECM swap but will be a "bolt on" kit with a tuner to adjust the timing, fuel/air, and all of the other goodies. 5.7L Twin kit put down approximately 600hp through the wheels on the cars so the truck should be even more impressive! I'm just crossing my fingers that there won't be too much difficulty going from the cars to the truck on the tuning side.

Time line for production kits is late spring/early summer.
YIKES!!!!!! Look out Eco-turd!

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I'm a bit skeptical but hope you are correct. Too much here say about "someone" being able to tune these and it always ends up as BS. 600 hp seems way high too. 400-500 hp seems more reasonable.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
But I have the lifetime warranty and do not want to loose it :(

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
From what I understand the lifetime warranty is a gimmick. It's not really a full warranty. Doesn't cover things that will actually break like timing chain, etc...(Sort of like saying "lifetime warranty.....on the valve covers"). Also must be dealer serviced or serviced at an approved shop to keep the warranty.

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
Maybe its like a motec or magnetti marelli piggy back system for tuning. Thats how they tun the Lambo's at UR when the TT em. LMR in Texas does it this way too... its expensive as all hell though... Id pay it for twins though :D

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Dont think the pcm for the chargers or challengers are the same as our rams could be wrong but ya if its the same then hes full of shit about tuning it sorry but no one has cracked the codes yet .

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm a bit skeptical but hope you are correct. Too much here say about "someone" being able to tune these and it always ends up as BS. 600 hp seems way high too. 400-500 hp seems more reasonable.
After thinking about this a bit more this would represent a 100% increase in power, he may have been pulling numbers from a twin'd up diesel (which would easily put down 600 with the proper tuning and injectors). This guy is a turbo rebuilder who normally works on diesels, specifically Cummins from the 4bt on up (including the ram and big rigs). I'll get up with him next week to see if he was really referring to a hemi on turbo's and tuning alone and that it wasn't bored over or running some juice. They are also installing a new dyno next week as a result of the increase in performance tuning he is seeing versus just rebuild work...either way he said he would get me a kit for cost plus labor once they are production ready which would be SAWEEET!!!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
After thinking about this a bit more this would represent a 100% increase in power, he may have been pulling numbers from a twin'd up diesel (which would easily put down 600 with the proper tuning and injectors). This guy is a turbo rebuilder who normally works on diesels, specifically Cummins from the 4bt on up (including the ram and big rigs). I'll get up with him next week to see if he was really referring to a hemi on turbo's and tuning alone and that it wasn't bored over or running some juice. They are also installing a new dyno next week as a result of the increase in performance tuning he is seeing versus just rebuild work...either way he said he would get me a kit for cost plus labor once they are production ready which would be SAWEEET!!!
Why get it if you cant tune it kinda seems pointless to me

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Why get it if you cant tune it kinda seems pointless to me
My understanding is that they broke the code on the challenger/charger and then the ram. The challenger/charger kits are about to roll into production and the truck kit is being finalized for production in late spring or early summer. Now, I'm not sure what the encryption is like on the cars, if any...but if it does come to fruition I'm definitely going to look into it. This is the first vehicle I've had that I haven't been able to go all out on the mods and it is driving me crazy!

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
My understanding is that they broke the code on the challenger/charger and then the ram. The challenger/charger kits are about to roll into production and the truck kit is being finalized for production in late spring or early summer. Now, I'm not sure what the encryption is like on the cars, if any...but if it does come to fruition I'm definitely going to look into it. This is the first vehicle I've had that I haven't been able to go all out on the mods and it is driving me crazy!
Well if thats true you think it would be all over the place i have not heard 1 word about the trucks being broke

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well if thats true you think it would be all over the place i have not heard 1 word about the trucks being broke
Yup, I asked which years on the trucks and he said 2011 and up "with the difficult encryption" so he knew what he was talking about.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Kit sounds nice! But what about the tranny? I would assume it would grenade with the kit installed in no time.
All depends on how you drive it, my 98 2500 put down 1200ft/lbs through the stock tranny with just an upgraded valve body. I did a 4x4 high boost launch at the track and literally cracked the bell housing from the torque. Up until that point it actually did fine as long as I was easy on it and used the upgrades for efficiency instead of go-fast. Torque does the most damage when it is being applied from a stand still (like what I did at the track) before the tires break loose.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Dave kasper at B&G has tuned my 2011 PCM/tcm... I don't know how true it is but he says he is the only one tuning them as far as he knows.

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Dave kasper at B&G has tuned my 2011 PCM/tcm... I don't know how true it is but he says he is the only one tuning them as far as he knows.
Sounds like a PCM swap? What else have you done in regards to modifications?
I am wondering how much the computer will compensate fueling on it's own with forced induction? I know it won't go outside of set parameters, but won't it attempt to match the fuel/air ratio on it's own? Essentially throw a charger on and let the computer correct it?

·
Registered
34 Posts
No I did not do a swap. It is my 2011 PCM for sure. Nothing big to the engine yet just a cai. Put 4.10 with and LSD on the (zf) rear end and just put a circle d 2800 stall tc. As far as the PCM i have noticed a higher Idle of 750 I shits at 6000k and in manual shifts up to 6500 rpm. And I have gone way above the limited 105 mph. ( I had an extra 2011 PCM flashed to my truck by the dodge dealer as a back up)

·
Registered
355 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
No I did not do a swap. It is my 2011 PCM for sure. Nothing big to the engine yet just a cai. Put 4.10 with and LSD on the (zf) rear end and just put a circle d 2800 stall tc. As far as the PCM i have noticed a higher Idle of 750 I shits at 6000k and in manual shifts up to 6500 rpm. And I have gone way above the limited 105 mph. ( I had an extra 2011 PCM flashed to my truck by the dodge dealer as a back up)
Sounds like you added high idle, removed the top speed limiter, and changed your shift point by reprogramming your PCM. Did the unit have to be removed or was he able to do this via the OBDII port?

Sounds like you've got a great build going on for a very quick truck!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts