DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all Please help, today I had a message on the EVIC come up saying I had a rear left turn bulb out. The indicators on that side started to flash quickly so I assumed the bulb had failed. I checked the bulbs and all are working fine. I've swapped the bulbs and holders from left to right but still the same problem. I disconnected the battery to reset the EVIC and remove the message, but it still comes on. any help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I would put new bulbs in both sides. Make sure the bulb connection is tight and there is no corrosion. I've heard that the message will come up if the bulb is starting to fail but is still working. If the message still comes up give it some time to clear by itself.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. Was going to try that . My other concern is that the lighting has to be changed to comply with UK regs. so I hope there no gremlins been added into the wiring

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
I had a turn signal out message on my Durango, it was doing the fast blink and everything. I pulled the bulb (which conveniently only involves opening the hood on that vehicle) and the filament looked fine so I put it back in. It worked fine for about a day and it happened again.

When I pulled the bulb the second time I noticed that the wire on the base of the bulb where it contacts the harness plug from the vehicle was burnt and broken. I replaced the bulb and its been fine since

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have ordered 2 replacement bulbs, I did think about fitting LED's but I recon that will open up a whole new can of worms. I'll let you know what happens

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Yeah, you'll probably need harnesses to run LEDs

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
UPDATE
I have replaced all the rear end bulbs but still the same problem. even if I remove the right hand bulbs completely I still get rear left hand turn signal bulb out and NO additional messages relating to the right hand side at all!!
getting frustrated now. I guess it may be the control module. any ideas where I might find it ????

thanks

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
Body Control Modules are quite expensive

I would check the fuses, some have dual functions, like signal light & marker light
Also check your trailer plugs both the 7 pin & 4 pin for corrosion & other things like frayed wiring & any wiring modifications that a shadetree mechanic may have done

electrical gremlins on an 2008 Ram, it is sort of long

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsInOdiLeE

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
All the lamps are working correctly. the only issue is the ECM thinks a bulb is out and puts the lights into hyperflash. (controlled by the ECM I guess). if I disconnect the battery, reconnect and put the turn signal on they operate correctly until the ECM has done its checks. for some reason it thinks there is a open circuit. this cannot be as they initially operate fine. I think its time to track down some circuit diagrams and dig out the test light and multi-meter. Anyone have full circuit diagrams for a 2010 Ram 1500 ?
Thanks for all your help:smileup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Body Control Modules are quite expensive

I would check the fuses, some have dual functions, like signal light & marker light
Also check your trailer plugs both the 7 pin & 4 pin for corrosion & other things like frayed wiring & any wiring modifications that a shadetree mechanic may have done

electrical gremlins on an 2008 Ram, it is sort of long

www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKsInOdiLeE

thanks. have watched this. fuses look good. will check the trailer plugs.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
all sorted

I traced the fault to a corroded ballast resistor fitted to the indicator circuits
when the truck had the lighting mods for the UK :smileup:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi I did try and reply to your PM a few weeks ago but the forum wont let me, not enough posts. yep I'm up for a meet

·
Premium Member
32,787 Posts
britplod has enough posts to PM you & give you a email address or something

·
Registered
1 Posts
all sorted

I traced the fault to a corroded ballast resistor fitted to the indicator circuits
when the truck had the lighting mods for the UK :smileup:
I know this is resurrecting an old thread, but I am having this same issue, and with the moisture problems I've had in this truck something being rusty just might be the culprit. In case OP isn't around any more, can anyone tell me where the "indicator circuits" are located?

Thanks in advance!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts