DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,713 Posts
The ones in the ebay link are chinese knock-off`s. I would pass on those if it were me.
If you do change out the mirrors, your dealer has to re-flash your truck to make them work.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
You can do that, but you'll need to go to the dealer to get those options flashed so they'll work.

I also suggest getting you're mirrors from www.rockauto.com

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
I would think they would but personally havent done it I already had puddles, turn signals and heat. I know some '10 model guys have had theirs flashed tho. Maybe its not the same for 12s!?!?

·
Registered
94 Posts
i have a 2010 that had heated power mirrors from factory. I wanted the puddle lights so i bought some mirrors that came off a 2011 that were heated,power, and had the puddle lights. Installed them then took truck to dealer to have them flashed. They could not make them work, they tried for about an hour, nothing they tried could get them to come on. I was told that it could not be done.

·
Banned
1,739 Posts
^ im gonna try to find the thread and pm the guy and get the needed info. I know its been done. Maybe you just have one of those "special" dealerships too. Luckily theres 5 to choose from here, just the closest one is special :(

G

·
I ordered my 2012 with the heated and turn signal mirrors....wouldn't it be more feasible to try to get those? I've replaced them on a previous Dodge 1 ton I had, and the critical factor was the bolt pattern...usually only three bolts, a triangular base that has to match the existing one in your truck, and the wiring loom. The loom has to tie in to a power source and switch that can handle the electrical adjustment of the in/out; up/down, the heat element, and the turn signal function....which in the factory unit is on the bottom of the mirror. Really kind of neat...but you don't see the yellow turn signal from your cab because it's UNDER the bottom side of the mirror, however it also has a white light that illuminates when you lock your truck to give you some light in the dark on the side of your truck....someone thought this one thru to accomplish a number of neat functions. To be able to do all this, you'll need the four way switch, the tie in to the windshield heater which activates the heated mirrors, the turn signals, and the locking mechanism that turns on the white lights when you lock the truck....quite a lot of different functions that go to different switches. Maybe it's more simple that I'm making it out to be....but I see four different functions for that factory mirror. Perhaps some aftermarket mirror that doesn't incorporate all these functions woudl be more feasible under the circumstances.???

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am a car audio installer and I figured out the wiring to the factory heated/power/turn signal mirrors. Could someone tell me when exactly does the puddle lights come on? Is it with the dome lights or the parking lights? I just upgraded a normal heated set to a turn signal/heated/ puddle light set on a 2012 Ram. Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
HI I just did the same thing and wired the puddle lights to the dome light which is the yellow/white on the wire harness behind the headlight switch. I also wire the signal lights to function as marking lights and signals. Its cool If you want the info how to do it let me know.

·
Registered
148 Posts
The tech I spoke to (reputable guy) says the puddle lamps are troublesome, can anyone concur? I haven't installed my full load trailer towing mirrors yet and gone the flash route but I believe it may be a waste of time. I would like to know the process you went through to splice the puddles and turn signals into the factory wiring! I have a 2012 and am installing a set from a 2010.

Thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
hi the dealership flash is a waste if 100$. I tried that route and wasted the time and money. It an easy wiring job took about 3 hours to instasll the lights and figure out the timing circuit to have the signals to work as marking at the same time. If you have the same mirrors that i have there is two wiring plugs coming from the mirror. The black plug has the 3 wires for glass movement, two black wires for heat and the two signal led lights. The white plug has the 2 wires for the puddle lights. All you need to do is cut the 4 wires use a ohm meter to find the grounds and the positive. These are led's and will only show resistance when the polarity is correct. Tie the grounds togeather and run 3 wires out to the cab. The grounds can go to any body ground there is a ground bolt under the kick pannels. Run the puddle positive to the yellow/white wire in the wiring harness behind the headlight switch. The left and right puddle light mirrors wires need to be tied togeather. the signals have to be run to the fron parking lights and tieded to the out side wire (not the groung). I also wanted the signals to work as marking lights but still work as signals. This takes a 2 12v dc spdt relays and 1200uf capicitor and a 2 amp diode. connect the wire from the mirror to the common connection. The park light wire to the normally open connection. connect the signal light to the normally closed connection. Ground one side of the coil. take the second relay and connect the normally closed connection to the other side of the coil of the first relay. connect the park wire to the common connection of the second relay. ground one side of the second relay coil. connect the blinker wire to the anode side of the diode then to the other side of the second relay coil. noe put the 1200 uf capacitor in parellel across the coil of the second relay, so the positive side of the capicitor the diode side of the coil and ground the other side of the capicitor. this allows the proper time for the relay to allow for the blinking of the signal. You hav to do this for both sides so double what you just did. Its cool when you're done the function just like the bulbs in the fron of the truck. It sound hard but very easy only about 3 hours and that with calculating the time delay. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Thanks 15medic... that's what I though might have to happen, and the route I'll go if the flash doesn't work... I can't help but think it should, unless it's tied in with another option... say remote start. I have a fortunate source and I will be able to have the flash attempted for free... I also have a remote start kit to install (factory). I will post any success (or failure) I experience!

·
Registered
8 Posts
could you please upload the instructions of how to do it ?, I just replaced my mirrors with the puddle and turn signal and I would like to make them work, I went to the dealer and they said that this can not be done because my truck wasn't equipped from factory with puddle and turn signal..

Please help.
Thank you..

·
Registered
163 Posts
There is a module that is needed that is not on the trucks that don't have this mirrors. You can look up the wiring on ram body builder and see the module model number.

·
Registered
3 Posts
HI I just did the same thing and wired the puddle lights to the dome light which is the yellow/white on the wire harness behind the headlight switch. I also wire the signal lights to function as marking lights and signals. Its cool If you want the info how to do it let me know.
I would love to know please

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would like the info on the wiring if the side mirrors.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts