DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I turn left, my turn signal doesn’t turn off when I straighten back up. Anyone else had this issue?

I have a 2017 Ram Big Horn with just over 10,000 miles, and this will be my second warranty claim. Not ideal.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Haven't experienced it in 80,000 miles and 5 years with my truck, and dad hasn't with his in 9 years and 116,000 miles either

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Haven't experienced it in 80,000 miles and 5 years with my truck, and dad hasn't with his in 9 years and 116,000 miles either
Thanks for the reply anyway. Today it started working again. Strange, but at least I didn’t have to make a trip to the dealer...yet.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I wouldn't take it to the dealer for something like that. Next time it doesn't turn itself off, just turn it off. Problem solved. Like when you change lanes on the highway, you have to turn it on and off all the time. Pretty soon, you'll just do it automatically.

Makes me nostalgic for my '71 Javelin which had a simple turn signal lever only controlled the turn signal, and you had to turn it off after the turn (something they actually taught us in Driver's Ed).

Manual controls keeps you engaged in the driving experience, and not distracted by other stuff.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I wouldn't take it to the dealer for something like that. Next time it doesn't turn itself off, just turn it off. Problem solved. Like when you change lanes on the highway, you have to turn it on and off all the time. Pretty soon, you'll just do it automatically.

Makes me nostalgic for my '71 Javelin which had a simple turn signal lever only controlled the turn signal, and you had to turn it off after the turn (something they actually taught us in Driver's Ed).

Manual controls keeps you engaged in the driving experience, and not distracted by other stuff.
Well that’s exactly what I did, but do you realize how hard it will be to remember (after driving 30+ years with turn signals turning themselves off) that I have to turn it off manually (but only when I turn left)? Failing to turn it off could also cause an accident because an oncoming driver might turn left in front of me thinking I’m turning left when I’m not.

Appreciate your opinion, but if the problem starts back, I’ll definitely be taking it in to get that fixed.

And my first car was a 1966 Pontiac Tempest without an A/C and with no power steering. It’s 2018...things change.

·
Registered
771 Posts
I was just suggesting that you adapt/improvise/overcome. My truck may or may no have automatic headlights or daytime running lights. I'll never know because I turn my headlights on every time I drive it and turn them off when I turn the engine off. This way I don't drive at night or in the rain with only DRLs like the morons I saw on my recent road trip.

Saw 1/2 dozen, at least, where their light sensors failed to turn their headlights on, but because they were in a group of cars on the interstate, and the highway was lighted by other headlights as well as their dimly running DRLs, they're running in the pitch dark, with no tail-lights on. People became dependent on some automatic function, that failed, and then created a dangerous situation by running in the dark with no tail lights.

Same in rain. Pouring down rain, fog/mist all over the highway, and I drive up on the back of people with no tail lights on.

AND.....people using their turn signal to change lanes, and then leave it on a drive for 20 miles with it on.

Automatic functions make people lazy and when they don't work and people who've become accustomed to them, then dangerous conditions can arise......Check out T-Pony's soap-box on how lazy people can't maintain constant speed without cruise control.

I like my cruise control, but I've criss-crossed this country in cars without it, and even drove 1500 miles in a Chevette with a broken speedometer cable (no cruise) and somehow managed not to get ploughed over by truckers.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was just suggesting that you adapt/improvise/overcome. My truck may or may no have automatic headlights or daytime running lights. I'll never know because I turn my headlights on every time I drive it and turn them off when I turn the engine off. This way I don't drive at night or in the rain with only DRLs like the morons I saw on my recent road trip.

Saw 1/2 dozen, at least, where their light sensors failed to turn their headlights on, but because they were in a group of cars on the interstate, and the highway was lighted by other headlights as well as their dimly running DRLs, they're running in the pitch dark, with no tail-lights on. People became dependent on some automatic function, that failed, and then created a dangerous situation by running in the dark with no tail lights.

Same in rain. Pouring down rain, fog/mist all over the highway, and I drive up on the back of people with no tail lights on.

AND.....people using their turn signal to change lanes, and then leave it on a drive for 20 miles with it on.

Automatic functions make people lazy and when they don't work and people who've become accustomed to them, then dangerous conditions can arise......Check out T-Pony's soap-box on how lazy people can't maintain constant speed without cruise control.

I like my cruise control, but I've criss-crossed this country in cars without it, and even drove 1500 miles in a Chevette with a broken speedometer cable (no cruise) and somehow managed not to get ploughed over by truckers.
I definitely agree about the dependence on automatic headlights. I also think the back up cameras and parking sensors create dependence that can cause problems as well.

But man, I expect my blinker to turn itself off. Lol.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts

My 2010 has lane changing signals, three flashes then turns off. Don't the later models have this feature?

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
My 2010 has lane changing signals, three flashes then turns off. Don't the later models have this feature?
I was about to ask this as well. My dad's 2009 Ram has it, my 2013 Ram has it, my 2015 Durango has it, and my mom's 2017 Durango has it-so I imagine a 2016 Ram would as well

·
Registered
771 Posts
Yeah, mine does and I imagine many cars do....assuming the driver knows it, knows how to use it, and is inclined to signal lane change in the first place. However, based on the 18 other things the signal stalk does, this lane function, many times, causes a lane change indication, when all I'm attempting to do is spray the windshield or adjust the wiper delay.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
However, based on the 18 other things the signal stalk does, this lane function, many times, causes a lane change indication, when all I'm attempting to do is spray the windshield or adjust the wiper delay.
Have you ever played the game "bop it"?

·
Registered
771 Posts
Have you ever played the game "bop it"?
Oddly enough, I do recall that game. You had to twist, pull, smack all kinds of different things. Wonder if the people who made designed that game, also designed the old GM turn signal wand that had all the stuff our current vehicle have (turn signal, lane change, wipers, washers, wiper delay, high beams..... AND the cruise control functions. At least we have cruise control on the steering wheel.

Now if I could get all of the steering wheel controls/functions that Speed Racer had on the Mach 5, I'd be ok with that.

·
Registered
998 Posts
Well that’s exactly what I did, but do you realize how hard it will be to remember (after driving 30+ years with turn signals turning themselves off) that I have to turn it off manually (but only when I turn left)? Failing to turn it off could also cause an accident because an oncoming driver might turn left in front of me thinking I’m turning left when I’m not.

Appreciate your opinion, but if the problem starts back, I’ll definitely be taking it in to get that fixed.

And my first car was a 1966 Pontiac Tempest without an A/C and with no power steering. It’s 2018...things change.
Don't mind him. He just thinks you're distracted by using a feature of the truck that oddly enough is designed to do just the opposite. It's broken, and it should work. Get it fixed.

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Oddly enough, I do recall that game. You had to twist, pull, smack all kinds of different things. .
Not odd at all, it was very popular. If you are activating yoir turn signal when attempting to spray your windshield you're flicking it instad of bopping the end. Twist it for wipers

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a similar problem . Right turn blinker comes on and stays on. I have to place the signal lever for left turn and drive that way. And I don't get a left turn signal at all. When I'm done with a left turn and the level auto resets, the right blinker is back on

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have a similar problem . Right turn blinker comes on and stays on. I have to place the signal lever for left turn and drive that way. And I don't get a left turn signal at all. When I'm done with a left turn and the level auto resets, the right blinker is back on
Sorry to hear about your turn signal concerns! We understand if you would like to take some time to troubleshoot this matter with the rest of the forum community, but should you decide to schedule a dealer appointment let us know! We would offer additional support alongside your dealer. Send us a private message if interested.

Hannah
Ram Cares

1 - 18 of 18 Posts