DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2001 W2500 5.9 auto. I went out to start my truck this morning and it will not run. The engine turns over just fine. I have 40-45 PSI of fuel pressure when cranking and it will hold this pressure after cranking. I pulled the plug wires off and am getting spark. The engine will not fire. I am in desperate need of assistance as this is our first big snowfall and I'm supposed to be out plowing.

Thanks,
-rob

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Fuel, Spark, Compression. Sounds like you checked fuel and spark, I'd check compression next. It's strange that it happened all the sudden though...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If it were compression it should still try to fire on at least a couple of cylinders. I can't even fathom that all eight would lose compression within the few days it was sitting.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I agree. If you have fuel, spark, and compression, my next guess would be timing? Have you done any work to it recently. Where did you check fuel pressure? Maybe the fuel isn't making it to the cylinders. Try a spray of wd40 or starting fluid in the TB and see if it tries to run.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No work done recently. It's been running like a champ. I tried starting fluid in the intake tube this morning, but nothing happened. I'm going to remove the filter and shoot direct in the TB now. Sure glad there's a foot of snow on the ground. :/

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Oh yeah any check engine lights at all?

You need to spray the fluid into the TB directly, spraying it before the air filter will have no effect...and I don't think it's good to spray fuel on a filter.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tracked down the phone number of an old-timer. He said, "hose the coil, distributor and plug wires down with a full large can of WD40." So I did, now it starts. Stupid Dodge. File this under, "should've bought a Ford".

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Tracked down the phone number of an old-timer. He said, "hose the coil, distributor and plug wires down with a full large can of WD40." So I did, now it starts. Stupid Dodge. File this under, "should've bought a Ford".
I don't understand where the problem is? And really? I've had so many problems with our fords....keep saying never again, but then somehow another ends up in the driveway lol. I've finally got away from them.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Remember fords are what's left over after dodge beats the hell out of them and dissapproves the design:LOL:

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Another point its not the falt of the truck.you have to remember hot truck, cold weather means condonsation in odd sports.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts