DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does your battery on your phone drain faster when it is connected to Uconnect?
i have a BB torch and it tends to drain twice as fast as when i am just connected to a regular bluetooth device.
is this just me ir is there some setting i need to adjust?

:4-dontknow:

·
Registered
168 Posts
My reg cab R/T has the 'power from usb' port on the HU, two 12 volt adapters and the actual dc/ac converter and if my iPod isn't attached that leaves one more 'power from usb' port in the storage box. So no battery powered device ever sits in my truck long without being on one of these lifelines.

That said all new devices are crap at keeping even a 6 hour charge once bt, wi-fi, 3g/4g, and gps are enabled.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have an iPhone that I leave the bluetooth on all the time, including in the truck. I only have to charge it about every other day. I don't talk a lot, bit the battery seems to hold up fine connected to the Uconnect system.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Yes, if you leave the bluetooth feature in the ON mode, it will drain the battery faster. On my Droid razr I can turn that off and extend the battery - check your phone to see if you can do the same. You may also be able to turn off the Wi-Fi feature.

·
Registered
168 Posts
does your battery on your phone drain faster when it is connected to Uconnect?
i have a BB torch and it tends to drain twice as fast as when i am just connected to a regular bluetooth device.
is this just me ir is there some setting i need to adjust?

:4-dontknow:
Seems there may be a faulty Bluetooth stack in these head units. I've experienced this on a number of phones, and the culprit seems to be Chrysler's(?) implementation of the PBAP (phonebook access) profile. It is constantly requesting access to the phonebook every few seconds.

Luckily with my android device, I can just kill the PBAP process... It's a pain, but cest la vie.

Their implementation of the Message Access Profile (MAP) for SMS over bluetooth is also poorly done. I've yet to find a device that works with it. Even their 'supported' device list doesn't show any devices compatible. I wonder what they 'tested' the feature with.

All in all I love this truck, but boy, things like this grate my nerves.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Not meaning to sound like an A%%, but::::

So here's a couple of notes for you to think about:
1) Uconnect does NOT keep asking for access to your PB. This will happen if you didn't select "always" & "accept" when you did the original pairing of the phone to Uconnect. Then UC will ask you up to 5 times for permission and then just forget about it till the next ignition cycle. If you didn't do it at the pairing process, then you can select the "always" & "accept" on the next ignition cycle.
2) Uconnect DOES download your pb each time that you get into the vehicle but DOES NOT ask for permission (as long as you have selected "always" & "accept"). The reason why UC will download the pb with each key cycle is in case that you have either deleted or added contacts while out of the vehicle.
3) On the key cycle, if you have made changes to the pb, then while you are driving, in the background Uconnect is comparing the contacts list of what was stored and the new list. If there have been changes made then the new downloaded list will be usable on the next ign cycle.
4) For your comment about MAP. This feature works just fine if your phone supports MAP. As you stated, you have to find a device that works with it. As of now there are a few phones that do support MAP and that # of phones will grow more this year as the phone manufacturers build phones that supports MAP.
5) MAP is only available on 2012 vehicles built after mid October 2011. (there should be an Uconnect update coming for the earlier built vehicles) Prior to that SMS texting was supported thru AT commands. There were very few phones that supported this feature but Uconnect works well with those that did.
6) The 2012 vehicles built after mid Oct 2011 with Uconnect will support both MAP & AT commands for SMS.
7) Now here, you are correct about the compatible list not being up to date, however that is being worked on.
8) Some of the phones that do support MAP are any of the newer BlackBerry phones with the 7.0 and 7.1 SW. Nokia N8, N9, Samsung has the new Focus S, HTC has the Sensation and more coming.
So NOW how are your nerves?:smileup:

Seems there may be a faulty Bluetooth stack in these head units. I've experienced this on a number of phones, and the culprit seems to be Chrysler's(?) implementation of the PBAP (phonebook access) profile. It is constantly requesting access to the phonebook every few seconds.

Luckily with my android device, I can just kill the PBAP process... It's a pain, but cest la vie.

Their implementation of the Message Access Profile (MAP) for SMS over bluetooth is also poorly done. I've yet to find a device that works with it. Even their 'supported' device list doesn't show any devices compatible. I wonder what they 'tested' the feature with.

All in all I love this truck, but boy, things like this grate my nerves.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm not taking it as sounding like an @ss, and I appreciate your response and insight

I'm not trying to sound like an @ss either (really), but here is my response: (I apologize for not being clear enough in my original response)

I am an avid Android developer, and I understand what you're saying about the PB download and permissions, and I do 'always allow' access to the phone book when initial syncing is done, however something is not right and that it is continually polling the PBAB service on a multitude of phones I've connected to it. I am watching this in the logcat of the android phones, and am seeing a poll and obex x-fer request every few seconds (with a successful OBEX x-fer of the PB - not a permissions issue).

I have tested four different phones that -do- fully support MAP: 2 androids (SGSII and Droid Razr) and 2 bberrys (New Bold v6 and I forget the second model off hand) (I have not yet tried a BB w/7.0v, but will now thanks to your info)

These four phones fully support MAP, however, the uConnect is saying that they don't. Also, in the android logs, I can see that there is no request for MAP access

As a side note, I can post OBEX polls to the MAP services on the android manually, and they respond as indicated by the BT profile specs.

Thanks for your info, and I'm hopeful you'll understand mine as well. There are many many issues with bluetooth implementations in car systems, and uConnect is by far one of the better I've seen. (esp when compared to the Ford Sync)

I'm just disappointed that the SMS feature is advertised so heavily by dealerships for 'compliance with Handsfree laws!' (esp. here in Maryland) yet, I've yet to see a phone work with the new MAP profiles on the 2012 (I have a 2012 430N RHB w/latest firmware)

If you can advise me of a specific phone with MAP that does work, I'd love to test it out on my device. I have access to any phone available, so please, let me know, and I'll grab one and test it on my 430N RHB. I really want to see it work.

It appears, and I haven't yet tested cause I'm awaiting a Sony Erickson that supports AT xfers) that the support for AT SMS over BT is no longer included as it's been replaced with MAP - (Others who had phones working on the earlier 2011's RERs that were upgraded are now no longer working) (Been confirming this with the service centers at two dodge dealers) 'Working' SMS phones quit working once they flashed the updates.

I'm curious if rcqreq's droid razr works with the SMS MAP feature, that phone does support MAP, but the one I tested doesn't work with the uConnect (it does work with the Ford sync, as well as the BB Bold and other BB, the SGS II did not work with the Sync though either (I tested all four with the Sync as well :) ))

Thanks! I'd like to brainstorm this further, so please chime in if there is more to offer.

Not meaning to sound like an A%%, but::::

So here's a couple of notes for you to think about:
1) Uconnect does NOT keep asking for access to your PB. This will happen if you didn't select "always" & "accept" when you did the original pairing of the phone to Uconnect. Then UC will ask you up to 5 times for permission and then just forget about it till the next ignition cycle. If you didn't do it at the pairing process, then you can select the "always" & "accept" on the next ignition cycle.
2) Uconnect DOES download your pb each time that you get into the vehicle but DOES NOT ask for permission (as long as you have selected "always" & "accept"). The reason why UC will download the pb with each key cycle is in case that you have either deleted or added contacts while out of the vehicle.
3) On the key cycle, if you have made changes to the pb, then while you are driving, in the background Uconnect is comparing the contacts list of what was stored and the new list. If there have been changes made then the new downloaded list will be usable on the next ign cycle.
4) For your comment about MAP. This feature works just fine if your phone supports MAP. As you stated, you have to find a device that works with it. As of now there are a few phones that do support MAP and that # of phones will grow more this year as the phone manufacturers build phones that supports MAP.
5) MAP is only available on 2012 vehicles built after mid October 2011. (there should be an Uconnect update coming for the earlier built vehicles) Prior to that SMS texting was supported thru AT commands. There were very few phones that supported this feature but Uconnect works well with those that did.
6) The 2012 vehicles built after mid Oct 2011 with Uconnect will support both MAP & AT commands for SMS.
7) Now here, you are correct about the compatible list not being up to date, however that is being worked on.
8) Some of the phones that do support MAP are any of the newer BlackBerry phones with the 7.0 and 7.1 SW. Nokia N8, N9, Samsung has the new Focus S, HTC has the Sensation and more coming.
So NOW how are your nerves?:smileup:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Well, this is cool. You sound like you have been schooled in wireless technology. I have only been involved for about a year and absolutely no training in the field but I am constantly learning as well to be the first to say "I don't know, but I'll find out".
No sir, you don't sound like an a$%, I must have taken your first post wrong and I apologize. So now on to this conversation.
I know more about the external Uconnect HFM that supports the REQ, RES, RHB & RBZ radios built by Mitsubishi. I do have contacts for the Harman radios (RER & RHR) but they don't communicate well (meaning they don't reply to emails well or return calls).
The early built 2012 Chrysler vehicles with the above mentioned radios were not fully supporting MAP when Chrysler started building the MY12 vehicles. There were still some enhancements that were being worked on and Chrysler decided that they would release an update when it became available. Those vehicles still only supported SMS AT commands. (I test with the Sony Ericsson W518i for SMS AT command). This is why the Uconnect system says the feature is not supported, Uconnect is actually looking for the AT command support. The mid year built 2012's (built after mid October 2011) support both SMS AT commands and MAP. I know that there are some of the BB phones that support MAP with the 6. SW bundles but have yet to retest with them. I have tested the BB phones with the 7.0 & 7.1, they do work well as do the Nokias. There are some phones that support MAP, they can receive messages and send a notification to Uconnect. However when it comes to sending a message, they fail there (the manufacturers are then notified and they work on the issue).
I am interested in talking more to you about the system but don't want to bore people here. May I pm you for an email address? :beerchug:

I'm not taking it as sounding like an @ss, and I appreciate your response and insight

I'm not trying to sound like an @ss either (really), but here is my response: (I apologize for not being clear enough in my original response)

I am an avid Android developer, and I understand what you're saying about the PB download and permissions, and I do 'always allow' access to the phone book when initial syncing is done, however something is not right and that it is continually polling the PBAB service on a multitude of phones I've connected to it. I am watching this in the logcat of the android phones, and am seeing a poll and obex x-fer request every few seconds (with a successful OBEX x-fer of the PB - not a permissions issue).

I have tested four different phones that -do- fully support MAP: 2 androids (SGSII and Droid Razr) and 2 bberrys (New Bold v6 and I forget the second model off hand) (I have not yet tried a BB w/7.0v, but will now thanks to your info)

These four phones fully support MAP, however, the uConnect is saying that they don't. Also, in the android logs, I can see that there is no request for MAP access

As a side note, I can post OBEX polls to the MAP services on the android manually, and they respond as indicated by the BT profile specs.

Thanks for your info, and I'm hopeful you'll understand mine as well. There are many many issues with bluetooth implementations in car systems, and uConnect is by far one of the better I've seen. (esp when compared to the Ford Sync)

I'm just disappointed that the SMS feature is advertised so heavily by dealerships for 'compliance with Handsfree laws!' (esp. here in Maryland) yet, I've yet to see a phone work with the new MAP profiles on the 2012 (I have a 2012 430N RHB w/latest firmware)

If you can advise me of a specific phone with MAP that does work, I'd love to test it out on my device. I have access to any phone available, so please, let me know, and I'll grab one and test it on my 430N RHB. I really want to see it work.

It appears, and I haven't yet tested cause I'm awaiting a Sony Erickson that supports AT xfers) that the support for AT SMS over BT is no longer included as it's been replaced with MAP - (Others who had phones working on the earlier 2011's RERs that were upgraded are now no longer working) (Been confirming this with the service centers at two dodge dealers) 'Working' SMS phones quit working once they flashed the updates.

I'm curious if rcqreq's droid razr works with the SMS MAP feature, that phone does support MAP, but the one I tested doesn't work with the uConnect (it does work with the Ford sync, as well as the BB Bold and other BB, the SGS II did not work with the Sync though either (I tested all four with the Sync as well :) ))

Thanks! I'd like to brainstorm this further, so please chime in if there is more to offer.

·
Premium Member
32,794 Posts
Well a bunch of that went over my head

I find that my Motorola RAZR V3 battery does go low fairly fast in the RAM
The reason is that i live right on the edge of DEAD ZONES & my phone is always hunting a signal.
I have to remember to plug it in when i go east or south, i can't go to far west, the Ram doesn't swim. Even going north 50 miles up on Camp Pendleton Marine Base, there are dead spots.
We need more repeaters on the hill tops around here

·
Registered
168 Posts
Certainly, hit me up. I can see this easily becoming a major bore fest, so we can take it offline. I've done quite a bit of extensive testing over the last day or so, and have some more notes on it. I can for certain say that Samsung devices are having major problems with their BT stack. Also, BB's are a hit and miss. I did figure out a way to stop the PBAB continuous x-fers though, but it's a pita.

:)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I spend a bit of time out there at Pendleton as well, and yes, you're right, it is a cell dead zone like crazy. Especially out by the water. :)

Tower/Signal searching will kill a battery fairly quickly, especially on bberry's.

Well a bunch of that went over my head

I find that my Motorola RAZR V3 battery does go low fairly fast in the RAM
The reason is that i live right on the edge of DEAD ZONES & my phone is always hunting a signal.
I have to remember to plug it in when i go east or south, i can't go to far west, the Ram doesn't swim. Even going north 50 miles up on Camp Pendleton Marine Base, there are dead spots.
We need more repeaters on the hill tops around here

1 - 11 of 11 Posts