DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
My 2018 Laramie LongHorn Uconnect screen has big time delaminated approx half the screen. I'm a couple months past the 36 month factory warranty with only 17,779 miles..ok so I'm an old guy and don't drive that much. Took truck to Fowler Dodge in Oklahoma City, service advisor jumped in and verified screen was delaminated & messed up but no techs were working until next week to verify the screen is delaminated. Let's see now, the service advisor and myself see it's delaminated but need a technician to verify what we both see and I have to pay for the diagnosis of such as I'm a couple months past the 36 month factorywarranty. Ram Care's how about an updated newer replacement screen be replaced and covered under customer satisfaction concern. Attached are pics of current screen and current odometer reading.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Oh I fully agree, he even tried pushing some of the buttons and nothing worked. Guess he was afraid he'd be responsible for the charges if he did it without a techs sign off. I just retired as an aircraft master mechanic 40 years, and I know a delam screen when I see one. Anyone have a good replacement part number for screen?

·
Registered
17 Posts
So the replacement screens are practically non existent except for the OEM SL01's which will in all likelihood delaminate just as well. Sent RamCares a message 2 days ago along with pretty color pics of my delaminated screen, but haven't heard a word from them...so we'll see.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie LongHorn, 17,800 miles, 4 months past the 36/36 warranty. Just received a call from Chrysler, they verified the diagnosis of my delaminated uconnect screen with ghosting, and they are going to replace my uconnect radio free of charge through my local dealership :). Received fantastic assistance from RamCares in resolving this issue. I sent Pictures of my screen and odometer verifying all to RamCares, so that may have also helped, but not sure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
To be honest, I’m not really sure what worked in your case but I’m glad they’re going to help you out because there’s been a lot of people who’ve said they haven’t been that far out of their warranty like you yet are being told they’re SOL.

You don’t by any chance have any kind of extended warranty, do you? As I mentioned before, when I had to have my radio replaced, they still insisted on charging me the $100 deductible for my Mopar MVP maxcare lifetime warranty even though number one, this is a known issue that’s happening to a lot of people and number two, I still don’t even have 36,000 miles on my truck but I was about 5 months past the three-year part of the factory warranty. But then again, I guess I really can’t use my experience because who knows what would have been different if I didn’t have the lifetime warranty. I guess they could’ve worked with me and I suppose they also could’ve told me it would be on my dime. We’ll just never know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Don't have an extended warranty of any kind and I'm 5 months past the factory warranty of 36/36. I'm guessing it might have been the mileage as I only have right at 17,800 miles on the truck. Plus the service advisor I took it to at Fowler Dodge in Oklahoma knew exactly what the issue was with these uconnect screens, he looked at, said he's seen dozens like that, verified my vin and mileage and wrote a repair order. I also took pics of my radio screen and odometer and contacted RamCares, they also worked on their end and contacted Chrysler on my behalf. After a week and half, got a call from Chrysler advising they were going to replace my radio. A few days later, the service advisor called advising he just ordered the radio per direction from Chrysler and should arrive in about 2 weeks. My cost $0.0. You want to reach out to RamCares as well and maybe they'll work with you and on your behalf as well in getting a new radio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hmm. I wonder why they’re being nice to you and supposedly not to so many other people who also aren’t that far out of their factory warranty.

I'm purely speculating it depends on getting the right service advisor who actually knows what their looking at and have dealt with this issue before. I had been to the same dealership previously and met with a different service advisor who knew absolutely squat about the Uconnect screen issues and wouldn't even write a repair order on it unless I wanted to pay for a diagnosis which I politely declined. A week later I go back and met with a different service advisor who know all about the issues, he wrote a repair order and said he'd be in touch. In the end it worked out, plus I had also reached out through RamCares and sent color pics which I'm sure helped. But it also could have been my good looks....bald head, beer belly and gray mustache hahaha

·
Registered
17 Posts
I called FCS

i called FCA America and they said to call Uconnect. I called them and they said call FCA. FCA then put together a ticket and I never heard back. I probably should go to a dealer. I don’t like mine and I feel they’re all the same. Maybe I’m wrong..
Here's the best skinny I can provide on getting a new uconnect screen at no charge. I had to go to the dealership two times before I found a service advisor who knew anything about the uconnect screen delamination issues. The 1st service advisor knew absolutely diddly squat about uconnect and told me to call uconnect or I could pay for a diagnosis, I declined. Went back a week later to Fowler Dodge on I-240 in OKC and talked to a different service advisor (Fabian Munoz) who told me he had seen dozens of these and there's a goid chance Chrysler will replace it at no charge. He took a pic of my XM radio code, plugged in his OBD thingy and then and wrote up a repair order stating the screen is delaminated. He also advised me he would contact Chrysler and get back to me. In the mean time I contacted RamCares on here and sent them details of what my uconnect was doing ie ghosting, locking up etc along with the delamination over half the screen. I also sent them color pics of my screen and current odometer reading. Now to be upfront, my truck is 4 months past the 36/36 warranty and mileage is very low at 17,800 approx. I also called Chrysler who initially told me to go to a dealership. RamCares contacted me and advised they were going to advocate on my behalf to get this resolved. And after approx a week, RamCares contacted me and stated they had escalated my case to a rep with Chrysler and provided a case # as well. A week after that Chrysler called me and stated they were going to replace my uconnect with no charge to me. 3 days later the service advisor who knew all about uconnect delamination issues called me and stated that Chrysler contacted him has approved replacing my uconnect at no cost and the new uconnect has been order and should arrive in approx 5 to 7 days. A couple days later,
Uconnect sent me an email stating the new Uconnect radio had been ordered and should arrive in a few days.. All in all I believe it was finding the RIGHT SERVICE ADVISOR who knows what the hell their actually looking at, contacting RamCares along with sending photos and also contacting Chrysler. Also keep in mind the service advisor and mechs at the dealership make absolutely zero on this type of repair/replacement so most will not want to deal with this, just like the first service advisor I talked to who said to call Uconnect.

·
Registered
17 Posts
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie LongHorn...delaminated Uconnect screen, ghosting & locking up etc. 6 months past the 36/36 factory warranty, 17,800 miles. Just got a new Uconnect system installed yesterday under warranty from Chrysler with assistance from RamCares. Had to get the RIGHT Service Advisor who knew all about Uconnect screen issues to get the ball rolling & I also contacted Chrysler & RamCares and sent colored pics. I can only assume they considered the low mileage a factor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Try a different dealer because if Ram Trucks decides to help you even though you are outside of warranty, it’s not your dealer who’s going to be paying for it so for them to just basically tell you you’re screwed is just sheer laziness on their part. I don’t want to get your hopes up but being that you’re outside of warranty, they probably just assumed Ram would say no so they didn’t even bother to try. I don’t like telling you this because unfortunately out of warranty means out if warranty but since this is a big issue, there was a member here who actually got his radio replaced free of charge even though he only had like 17, 18,000 miles and was past the three years. How his dealer was able to swing that is beyond me but who knows, that could’ve been chalked up to having less than 20k miles on a truck that’s over three years old.

I concur with "corneileous", I was the lucky one who received a new updated Uconnect radio under warranty from Chrysler even though I was past the factory 36/36 but only had 17,779 miles when I took it in to the dealership. The 1st service advisor told me what everyone else's is hearing "sorry past warranty" blah blah. Went in a 2nd time and got different service advisor (younger fella) who knew all about the uconnect issues. He did the following, wrote a repair order "delaminated uconnect" and he then contacted Chrysler. I also in the mean time contacted RamCares. Chrysler and RamCares & Uconnect contacted me and in short replaced my Uconnect radio with a newer updated version and it's been working like perfect. So don't take just persons no for an answer, try again at another dealership. Good luck!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'll try a different dealer or even call ram directly if I can find a contact. I have some good video of this screen going haywire. I don't want to waste my time, but IMO they should recall these screens as it is 100% a safety issue. We pulled over to mess with it before re rearended someone. Not being able to shut it off or control it is just a mess.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Excellent!!! I did the same thing when contacting Chrysler & RamCares, i sent both color pics and a video as well...don't give up the ship !!!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have 41k and just put 4k on it going on a cross country trip. I'm not 100% sure, but if it's a safety issue I don't think your miles/years on the truck really matter. This was the most distracting thing I've ever seen on a truck and then it beeping for 8 hours straight randomly like 100 times a minute. The screen off button not working, etc.
I don’t know, I and I’m not trying to dissuade anybody from trying by saying this but sometimes I really think the only reason why Chrysler worked with you is because even though your truck was older than three years old, you still had so little miles on it is why you got a new radio even still considering that no matter what, for most people, out of warranty means out of warranty. Unless they decide to officially extend the warranty on these radios, they’re not obligated to replace it if you’ve had your truck longer than three years or if it’s under three years old and you’ve got more than 36,000 miles on it.

I fully agree with you on this one, they were under no obligation as technically I was over the 36/36. Plus the service advisor & mech make absolutely squat on warranty replacements and service is their bread & butter so to speak. The service advisor that helped me out knew all about the Uconnect issues and even stated most likely Chrysler would replace it based on the low miles I had. Once Chrysler called me, that demonstrated he (service advisor) was willing to go the extra mile knowing he wouldn't make a dime, but saved me $1500.00 on a new one. The day they installed my new updated version of Uconnect and we verified it was fully operational, I made sure he was let's just appreciated.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine looks the same. Curious if you reached out to Ram about the issue and if they gave any replacement?
I reached out to RamCares along with Chrysler and my uconnect radio was ultimately replaced under warranty. Be advised, you'll be ask if you've taken it to a dealership yet? which I had done. In short the service advisor I used wrote up a repair order on the radio as being delaminated and then he contacted Chrysler as I was already past the 36/36 warranty period.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I'm having the same issue in a 2018 Ram. I noticed a bubble a few months back and it has just kept growing. It started changing the radio stations or other settings a couple weeks ago. I made an appointment with the dealer after I could no longer use the radio or go to the climate control because the heat would turn on full blast. I went to the appointment and was told before it being looked at that they couldn't fix it and I would have to pay $800-1200 plus install fees. I found this forum when looking for what the issue actually is and how to repair it. I guess I'll have to pay soon as most of the features are unusable and the backup camera is getting hard to see in the delaminated places.
Now here this !!!! I have a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie LongHorn (5 months past the 36/36 factory warranty) milage was 17, 600, (OK so I don't drive much anymore) and also had the dreaded Uconnect screen delamination causing the system to go haywire and batsh!t crazy on it's own. I went to the dealership and got a service writer who didn't know crap and so I left. Went back a week later and got a diff service writer a bit younger who knew all about the Uconnect issues. It goes as follows, he looked at the screen, yep its delaminated!! He writes up a repair order and contacts Chrysler for authorization to replace under warranty. I also had contacted Chrysler and also Ram Care's on this board. Ram Cares bent over backwards and talked to Chrysler to address my concern. 2 weeks after the RO was written, Chrysler calls me direct and advised their going to replace my Uconnect system under warranty. 2 weeks after that the replacement Uconnect arrived at dealership, they called and I dropped off the truck. Had them do and oil & filter change and rotate my tires as well on my dime. 2 days later truck was ready and the new Uconnect is better than the original, new screen and icons way better etc. So don't give up and find a younger service writer that knows about this whiz bang new stuff. Being an old geezer myself and the original service writer was also an old geezer and didn't know squat, so reaching out to the younger whipper snapper paid off big time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts