DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
176 Posts
I just had my 2018 Limited 1500 in the dealer for a new radio due to this delamination crap and my service advisor told me it’s due to the adhesive they used for the touchscreen not being very resistant to heat but supposedly the new radios have an updated glue. My new radio came with a two year, unlimited mileage warranty but so far, I’m so glad I opted for the lifetime warranty. Hundred bucks later, I had a new $1200 radio.

But for the folks that are out of warranty, here’s a good video that explains how to replace the screen with an aftermarket one if you can find it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
176 Posts
HI I have a 2018 Ram 2500...in So. Texas, I am having the same problem the screen is delamimating on the top left approx. 4"x1.5".
I have had all of my windows tintedb2 shades lighter than limo since day 1. Called the service dept. And they said that it's only covered 3 yes 36000 miles, so now I am going to open a request through Chrysler customer care.
This has to be a defect. I also have a 2016 Mercedes, windows tinted and that screen is just fine. Black on Black mind you
It is a defect and as a matter of fact it’s been mentioned at least once in this thread stating that it was.

But since it is a known defect due to a faulty glue that’s not all that heat resistant, it has been corrected so I would try another dealer and if not, I think it was it within this thread where somebody said that they were able to go to Uconnect and actually got a new radio from them.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Have a 2018 Ram Rebel 47K miles doing the same thing. It looks awful. I do have a Mopar extended warranty. Anyone know if it's covered under the EW?
Should be, mine was. Only had to pay the hundred dollar deductible.

·
Registered
176 Posts
2018 Dodge Ram with 40278 miles and just got in my truck and see this View attachment 138546
So know I have a ghost touch. Has anyone been able to find an aftermarket screen that won’t melt in north Alabama heat? If you did please share.
You’ll just have to look around on YouTube, on Amazon and possibly even eBay. There’s a video on YouTube where a guy went to Amazon and bought a replacement screen and has a very good instructional video on how he took his radio apart and replaced the screen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I have a 2018 RAM 1500 with the screen delaminating and now the “ghost touch“ issue that causes the unit to freak out as well. My truck only has 35,000 miles on it and is literally 1 month out of factory warranty. I took it to Chrysler dealer while still within factory warranty and they said it would not be covered and that the screen was “cracked”. This is clearly not the case as there are A LOT of people having this issue. I’m going to try taking this forum thread into the dealer to show them that this is not a one off scenario. Any help from anybody on this would be greatly appreciated. I would mind if I had to pay something to get it fixed as long as it’s not outrageous.
If your screen looks anything like all the others that has posted in this thread then how did they come to the conclusion that your screen was cracked? Now that you’re out of warranty, I’m not really sure what anybody’s gonna be able to do for you because out of warranty means out of warranty and you could try another dealer being that they know this is a really big issue but if that’s not gonna work, just like I told them other two people up there, you’ll just have to look around on YouTube, eBay and Amazon because they do sell replacement screens out there, I just don’t know how good of quality they are but it is easily doable to pull your radio out and take it apart in such a way to where you can replace the screen if you can find one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Looking at options and going to the dealer seems pretty much arm and leg to get it fixed. $800 for a refurbished system or $1500 for a new system.

Currently have inquires out to replace the screen.
I will also take a look at the YouTube video.

Just think it s almost mind blowing that dodge won’t cover this kind of “oops” for the amount people are spending on truck today. This has really become my only buyers remorse for a dodge vehicle and I have had two Ram trucks, a caravan and a Dodge Viper.
Yeah, it is. Since there’s such a large issue regarding this, they really oughta extend the warranty on that being that it’s not just a simple radio you can replace from Walmart or something similar.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hate to say this but it’s kind of starting to sound like buying a lifetime warranty every time you buy a new truck, no matter what the brand, is starting to become a very wise decision.

I would’ve been screwed when this problem happened to me but my lifetime warranty is what covered all but 100 bucks of my new radio.

I know this is a known problem that’s affecting a lot of people but you guys can’t expect the manufacturer to help out whenever it’s out of warranty. The best you could hope for is the dealer trying to help out as much as they can to maintain customer relations but, out of warranty means out of warranty… it is what it is.

·
Registered
176 Posts
My point wasn’t that they should do a repair that is out of warranty. My point is it’s a known defect and FCA should make good on it. It’s also a safety issue when it’s changing your HVAC controls while you drive. Mine is turning the defrost off and on, turning seat heat and air off and on. Changing GPS settings to random locations and it goes on. This, in my mind, is as serious as a wheel falls off.
I get your point but you’re contradicting yourself immediately after your first sentence when you say they should make good on a known defect after you just got done saying pretty much that you don’t expect them to repair something out of warranty.

I agree, it is a saftey concern but I guess they just have to have enough of an issue regarding it before they’ll treat the radio screen like the fuel tank straps on the older trucks and extend the warranty coverage on it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
The contradiction comes from doing what’s right even if nobody will know. I’m retired 42 years military. You don’t leave your people hung out to dry. If I was the only one having this problem, yes, too bad for me. But try Googling Uconnect Delaminating. You don’t need to filter by Dodge or Ram. Every single one of the FCA forums come up talking about this problem. It’s a known defect, it could cause safety problems and fixing it is the right thing to do. FCA doesn’t make radios, they contract it out. FCA can go after the vendor for putting out a crap product that damages their image. If I still sound like I’m contradicting myself so be it.
Again, I totally understand where you’re coming from but still, out of warranty is out of warranty. Even if this is a known issue and you I don’t have this issue until you’re out of warranty, the manufacturer isn’t going to pay for something that they’re not obligated to pay for. That’s just how it is. I know this doesn’t help all of us that’s had issues but at least the new radios have an upgraded adhesive that holds that touchscreen on is a lot more impervious to the heat so at least they’ve done that.

It’s just like with the air ride systems on these half-tons; they’ve upgraded a lot of stuff from what a lot of people was having problems with but just like with the radios, until they decide to treat this like the faulty fuel tank straps, if you don’t have any kind of extended warranty coverage if you have any of those problems, you’re screwed. I hate to say it and I know this doesn’t help matters but I’m so glad I bought my lifetime warranty when I bought my truck because I also hate to say it but, it sounds like I might be using a lot of it over the years which, I’m already $1100 in on what I paid for it when my radio was replaced.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hey everyone I just off the phone with Chrysler and they are saying if the vehicle is out of warranty you are on your own. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying a Ram….this was my first and last Ram.
I take it you just don’t understand why that is, do you? I hate to burst your bubble but if you really think about it, anything major whether it’s a known issue with a 1200-dollar radio or even an unknown issue such as with an engine, transmission, axle housing or whatever, if it breaks/fails after the warranty period is up, thats just how it is and it’s never a reason to get pissed off at the manufacturer but whatever, you’re free to react to it in any way you chose. But you know, since no manufacture is perfect and since every consumer is subject to the same treatment irregardless what it says on the grille, before selling your truck over a radio, go on YouTube and and search for a video of this guy who bought a new screen of either eBay or Amazon and literally took his radio apart and replaced his own screen for hundreds cheaper but if you wanna just stick a for-sale sign in your window over a faulty touch screen, that’s your business. Hopefully your next truck brand will treat you like a King.

Oh and PS…. I’ve been told that the part of that screen that’s bubbling from the heat is just a fancy screen protector and you might be able to take the screen off and scrape that part off of it. I think I’d do that before just getting rid of it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're disheartened to hear that you're experiencing similar concerns with your touchscreens delaminating. It's important to get your touchscreens properly inspected by your dealers. They may be willing to work with you on this once they perform a proper diagnosis and consider all of the necessary information. If you'd like additional assistance or have questions, please let us know via private message.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
But if it’s out of warranty, it’s out of warranty, correct? What more can be done because it doesn’t take much to look at somebody’s screen to see that it’s delaminating. When I took my truck into the dealer almost a couple months ago, I didn’t even have to take my truck into the actual shop area because the service center guy was just able to walk out there and take one look at my screen and say yup, it’s delaminating so then after that, he started the process on a warranty claim and put in the order to get me a new radio on its way.

On one hand, I totally get it that when warranty’s are out, they’re out and it’s no longer the manufacturers responsibility pay for that customers repair but then again, I can’t help but not side with everybody else who’s posted in this thread and the probably thousands of other customers that are having the same exact problem happening to them but this is a known issue because Uconnect chose to use a cheap and too weak of a glue on these radio screens and the heat is what’s causing them to separate. Even the dealership that I took my truck to said that the new updated radios have a much better quality adhesive that stands up better to the heat so you know, I think I’d be more worried about losing customers because warranty or not, this is unacceptable because without getting into too much into it, this is not a cheap little radio that you can just take out and throw in the trash and go buy you a much better new radio at Walmart to go back in there because this is a major radio that not only serves the function as the radio but it’s also your main screen for all your settings and for running your HVAC system so, you got a have it and there’s really no way to replace it with something else… Well, cheap anyways.

·
Registered
176 Posts
This is happening to me as well. It occurred right around the 37,000 mile mark. Impeccable timing. We'll see how the dealer handles.
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but if your truck is out of warranty and you don’t have any kind of extended warranty then you’re kind of up a creek without a paddle to get them to pay for it unless they just want to be nice and possibly preserve customer relations but if they don’t, your best bet is to go on either Amazon or eBay and try to find a replacement aftermarket screen for your radio and replace it yourself. There’s a very informative video floating around YouTube that does a really good job showing how to take that radio apart.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I also found this video that appears to me that if you’re very careful and successful at peeling the digitizer off the face of the screen… The part that is supposedly whats becoming delaminated and causing all the issues- that just simply using rubbing alcohol to clean all the old adhesive from the screen below it and the digitizer that you can supposedly somehow glue that piece back on and solve all your problems.

Also, I don’t know if it said it in the description of the video but supposedly you can order a new digitizer if you have to replace yours that’s a lot cheaper than buying a new screen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Hello @ramcares if you could please send me a message so that I can talk with you I am having the same problems with my 2018 Ram 2500 Bog Horn. The system will not let me send you a message because I am a new member? Not sure why that is the case but I cannot do anything about that. My truck is basically useless at the moment. My Uconnect is going haywire because of the delimitation and it keeps turning my air conditioning, radio, and other items on and off. Thanks
I don’t mean to butt in but if you’re still within your warranty period then just go to your local dealer and set up a replacement because if you’re out of your 3-year/36,000 mile manufacturer warranty, I don’t think Ram Cares is going to be able to be much help unless Ram trucks authorizes an extension of warranty coverage on these faulty radio screens.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Yea. I tried th

Yea I watched that video and tried it. Ended up breaking the LCD. So as corneileous advises be very careful when separating. I was trying to pry the wrong junction apart. That goo in between the digitizer and lcd is a real mess. I used a lot of paper towels and denatured alcohol to clean it out. I figured I had nothing to loose as the normal process is to replace those two parts as a unit anyway. I've sent mine in to Infotainment who charges $650 to replace the screen and run it thru tests and update as necessary. I couldn't find what looked to be a reputable place that had the part in stock to replace myself. Dealer said the same thing about either a new or rebuilt one being on backorder. As I've said on my prior soapbox post...obviously Ram/Dodge put a lot of these with this manufacturing defect out there. My neighbor told me this morning he just received a letter from Ford on his truck to come in about about a similar issue. Sounds like Ford is going down the path of doing the right thing. Anyway...good luck !
How did you break your screen? Or are you talking about the outer digitizer? I dunno, if $650 is what that place you sent your radio to is charging you to fix it then I would’ve just bought the screen myself and replaced it in my own home rather than pay someone else to do it since it seems like it’s rather easy to replace the screen with a new one.

·
Registered
176 Posts
They have help two of my customers get their screens replaced even after they were out of warranty. I believe that this should be a recall, but if I can get them to facilitate the replacement through my dealer and I don’t have to pay $1600 to get it replaced then it is worth the time and effort to see if they will help.
Well, that’s good. It’s not like only a few people are having this problem, there’s a whole bunch of people having this problem so it’s good that some places are offering to help out. But one thing about recalls though, unless it’s a safety recall, no manufacturer is going to create a recall over a faulty radio, or anything else that isn’t an a safety concern which yes I know, being that this radio controls a lot of stuff, it should be considered a safety recall because how distracting it is when your screen gets bad enough to the point to where it’s turning the volume up and down, constantly changing the fan settings and doing all kinds of other glitchy stuff.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was 3 days past my warranty. The dealer wouldn’t do anything. I called dodge…spoke with a women who said she heard of this problem and it shouldn’t be a problem having the radio swapped out. Someone will call you back in a week. I waited the week….no call…I call them back and another women tells me to hold on..she said they looked into it and they will not do anything. She said it out of warranty. Not happy at all. Worst part is dodge knows about this problem the dealer knew about the problem but nothing is getting done.
I hate to say it but again, unless you can talk your dealer or another dealer into somehow helping you out but if they say sorry, it’s out of warranty then quite frankly, out of warranty means out warranty so, I don’t know what more to tell you guys other than to threaten to seek legal action because pretty much the only leg that you would have to stand on is the fact that number one, you’re not alone because there’s a lot of people who have had this problem and it’s not just exclusive to Ram trucks as it’s pretty much affecting everything in Chrysler’s lineup that uses the same 8.4 Uconnect radio and two, the fact that Chrysler is aware of this issue by going to a better adhesive that glues the digitizer on to the screen that’s supposedly a lot more resistant to heat.

At this point, that’s all you’ve got or you go on Amazon or eBay and try to find you a new screen and change it out yourself or go to that YouTube video I posted a couple posts back and try to reattach your digitizer after you clean off all the old adhesive.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I know you guys are new here but you really need to read through the thread.

Supposedly some dealerships apparently will work with you if you’re outside of warranty but for the most part, if you’re out of warranty and don’t have any kind of extended warranty then your only option is to replace the screen yourself or very carefully detach and reglue the digitizer on the outer face of the screen.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Similar to many others here, I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, and the same issue with the 8.4” touch screen delaminating and malfunctioning. Most of the time now, it has constant random touches to the screen and hangs up phone calls, constantly changes the HVAC, radio, etc. It has become a big problem and a hazard to drive and operate the truck as it constantly beeps and changes something. I am the original owner and have only had this truck a little over 3 years. The blue tooth function is inoperable, as it will just hang up most calls. I am reaching out for help with this issue from RAM. I see Dodge/RAM is helping some owners with this problem, even out of warranty. This is not a wear and tear item, this is a manufacturer defect and safety issue and it should be addressed.
This site will not let me send you a direct message, since I am a new member. Please help.
Have you gone to a dealer first with your concern? Even if you Google Ram Cares number and call them, they’re probably going to tell you to go to a dealership first.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts