DODGE RAM FORUM banner
341 - 360 of 361 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here as others at 42K miles. 2nd owner on a recently bought 2018 Ram Harvest Edition. Nice truck. When I bought truck I paid closed attention to engine, transmission, body, etc.... In all my experience I would never expected a radio to go wrong. Despite all the frustration with the delaminated screen as it has been discussed, I see this issue as an accident waiting to happen when radio goes on its own to dial, constant map voice commands, radio changing on its own, calling SOS, etc., etc. You constantly need to take your eyes off the road to try to control radio. Extremely frustrating and more frustrating when a radio replacement is $1400.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Same here as others at 42K miles. 2nd owner on a recently bought 2018 Ram Harvest Edition. Nice truck. When I bought truck I paid closed attention to engine, transmission, body, etc.... In all my experience I would never expected a radio to go wrong. Despite all the frustration with the delaminated screen as it has been discussed, I see this issue as an accident waiting to happen when radio goes on its own to dial, constant map voice commands, radio changing on its own, calling SOS, etc., etc. You constantly need to take your eyes off the road to try to control radio. Extremely frustrating and more frustrating when a radio replacement is $1400.
By the way, after 16 years I traded my very reliable 2005 Big Horn 1500 with 185,000 miles because I thought it was time for an upgrade. Buyer's remorse big time.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I looked in other Dodge forums and found where several people living in the south (mainly FL) have a problem with the screen "bubbling" due to delamination. I was surprised not to find anything on this forum. I have a 2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon. We're now done with winter here in FL, but I didn't notice it until about the end of Feb. It's very noticeable. If heat is the issue, I wonder why it didn't start until Feb, when it was still rather cool. Unless it was a matter of it being cool (45-55) in the mornings and warming into mid-70 or higher during the day, plus considering the humidity. I don't have my windows tinted.... yet.
When I clean my screen, I spray screen cleaner lightly on a rag and wipe the screen, the same as you would do a computer screen.
This seems to be a manufacturer defect. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Thanks!
What was mileage on your truck when you reached out to client care? My 2018 has about 115K and I contacted them and was told that they couldn't do anything and to just replace at dealer and keep my receipt in case a recall is issued.... I am highly unamused. Last 5 trucks we have purchased were Rams and this is borderline enough to steer me away next time. Clearly it's a faulty component. I'm not sure if I just received "help" from the crappiest rep possible or if there's some king of timing or mileage limit on when they care.....

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m afraid I currently own a 2017 Charger, I sold my 2010 Ram a few weeks ago but I am suffering the same problem. If you look at any of the Mopar forums they are all having the same problem. I’m in Shreveport LA and my screen is 1/3rd delaminating. GPS doesn’t work, radio bands and stations change constantly. Made the mistake of touching the HVAC. I’ve got a video of me playing wackamole trying to get it set right. If I was driving through Dallas and that crap started I’d crash in less than a mile. It was turning the heated seats on (95 degrees that day) and going through all the positions for the vents. It seems happy on defrost.
anyway, all that to say I think we need to get a head count on all the Mopar forums to see if we can leverage FCA to fix this at no charge. Oh, I contacted Dodge Cares. Their response was no, we won’t replace your radio because I’m the 2nd owner, I bought it with 5,000 miles currently 16,800 and because I’m out of warranty. I got this reply sent to me at 0200 hours in the morning from Monica. It’s from a do not reply email address. I’m thinking Monica is either a really dedicated troop to stay up until 2 or maybe Monica isn’t a real person.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 Big Horn and the dreaded screen issue arose this morning. 54,000 miles and I have owned it from day one. Guess I will call the dealer and see if they and Ram cares will correct the issue.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2018 Big Horn and the dreaded screen issue arose this morning. 54,000 miles and I have owned it from day one. Guess I will call the dealer and see if they and Ram cares will correct the issue.
I’m thinking we need to gang up on FCA! I contacted Dodge Cares and let me assure you, if you are out of warranty, Dodge Don’t Care! My ride is a 2017 Charger Daytona with 17,000 miles. My screen goes nuts if I touch it anywhere. I got a reply from Monica T 0157 AM and then at 0203 AM telling me to beat it. I’m thinking Monica is a really dedicated troop to be emailing me at that time of day. And sending the exact same message (I’m retired now and have time on my hands to send lots of emails. Just copy and paste. Getting back to Monica, could it be she is actually a “bot” and not a real person telling me too bad? Hate to think a computer is turning down my request. And I do have the emails to prove it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have a 2018 RAM 1500 with the screen delaminating and now the “ghost touch“ issue that causes the unit to freak out as well. My truck only has 35,000 miles on it and is literally 1 month out of factory warranty. I took it to Chrysler dealer while still within factory warranty and they said it would not be covered and that the screen was “cracked”. This is clearly not the case as there are A LOT of people having this issue. I’m going to try taking this forum thread into the dealer to show them that this is not a one off scenario. Any help from anybody on this would be greatly appreciated. I would mind if I had to pay something to get it fixed as long as it’s not outrageous.
I talked to my dealer service director. He didn’t even go look to confirm mine was delaminating. He said the deal with this every single day. Out of warranty will cost $1200. And Dodge Cares Does Not Care. How about Ram Cares?

·
Registered
1 Posts
My 2018 Ram Big Horn w/ 8.4 inch uconnect screen appears to have started the delaminating process this morning. Very small bubble that I mistaken for what I thought was about a one inch curved hair off someone’s head right at the top center of my screen. This appears to be a common problem for this 8.4 inch uconnect unit. This is disappointing to say the least. My truck only has 52k on it and I live in KY.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
87 Posts
I hate to say this but it’s kind of starting to sound like buying a lifetime warranty every time you buy a new truck, no matter what the brand, is starting to become a very wise decision.

I would’ve been screwed when this problem happened to me but my lifetime warranty is what covered all but 100 bucks of my new radio.

I know this is a known problem that’s affecting a lot of people but you guys can’t expect the manufacturer to help out whenever it’s out of warranty. The best you could hope for is the dealer trying to help out as much as they can to maintain customer relations but, out of warranty means out of warranty… it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
I hate to say this but it’s kind of starting to sound like buying a lifetime warranty every time you buy a new truck, no matter what the brand, is starting to become a very wise decision.

I would’ve been screwed when this problem happened to me but my lifetime warranty is what covered all but 100 bucks of my new radio.

I know this is a known problem that’s affecting a lot of people but you guys can’t expect the manufacturer to help out whenever it’s out of warranty. The best you could hope for is the dealer trying to help out as much as they can to maintain customer relations but, out of warranty means out of warranty… it is what it is.

My point wasn’t that they should do a repair that is out of warranty. My point is it’s a known defect and FCA should make good on it. It’s also a safety issue when it’s changing your HVAC controls while you drive. Mine is turning the defrost off and on, turning seat heat and air off and on. Changing GPS settings to random locations and it goes on. This, in my mind, is as serious as a wheel falls off.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My point wasn’t that they should do a repair that is out of warranty. My point is it’s a known defect and FCA should make good on it. It’s also a safety issue when it’s changing your HVAC controls while you drive. Mine is turning the defrost off and on, turning seat heat and air off and on. Changing GPS settings to random locations and it goes on. This, in my mind, is as serious as a wheel falls off.
I get your point but you’re contradicting yourself immediately after your first sentence when you say they should make good on a known defect after you just got done saying pretty much that you don’t expect them to repair something out of warranty.

I agree, it is a saftey concern but I guess they just have to have enough of an issue regarding it before they’ll treat the radio screen like the fuel tank straps on the older trucks and extend the warranty coverage on it.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I get your point but you’re contradicting yourself immediately after your first sentence when you say they should make good on a known defect after you just got done saying pretty much that you don’t expect them to repair something out of warranty.

I agree, it is a saftey concern but I guess they just have to have enough of an issue regarding it before they’ll treat the radio screen like the fuel tank straps on the older trucks and extend the warranty coverage on it.

The contradiction comes from doing what’s right even if nobody will know. I’m retired 42 years military. You don’t leave your people hung out to dry. If I was the only one having this problem, yes, too bad for me. But try Googling Uconnect Delaminating. You don’t need to filter by Dodge or Ram. Every single one of the FCA forums come up talking about this problem. It’s a known defect, it could cause safety problems and fixing it is the right thing to do. FCA doesn’t make radios, they contract it out. FCA can go after the vendor for putting out a crap product that damages their image. If I still sound like I’m contradicting myself so be it.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The contradiction comes from doing what’s right even if nobody will know. I’m retired 42 years military. You don’t leave your people hung out to dry. If I was the only one having this problem, yes, too bad for me. But try Googling Uconnect Delaminating. You don’t need to filter by Dodge or Ram. Every single one of the FCA forums come up talking about this problem. It’s a known defect, it could cause safety problems and fixing it is the right thing to do. FCA doesn’t make radios, they contract it out. FCA can go after the vendor for putting out a crap product that damages their image. If I still sound like I’m contradicting myself so be it.
Again, I totally understand where you’re coming from but still, out of warranty is out of warranty. Even if this is a known issue and you I don’t have this issue until you’re out of warranty, the manufacturer isn’t going to pay for something that they’re not obligated to pay for. That’s just how it is. I know this doesn’t help all of us that’s had issues but at least the new radios have an upgraded adhesive that holds that touchscreen on is a lot more impervious to the heat so at least they’ve done that.

It’s just like with the air ride systems on these half-tons; they’ve upgraded a lot of stuff from what a lot of people was having problems with but just like with the radios, until they decide to treat this like the faulty fuel tank straps, if you don’t have any kind of extended warranty coverage if you have any of those problems, you’re screwed. I hate to say it and I know this doesn’t help matters but I’m so glad I bought my lifetime warranty when I bought my truck because I also hate to say it but, it sounds like I might be using a lot of it over the years which, I’m already $1100 in on what I paid for it when my radio was replaced.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I looked in other Dodge forums and found where several people living in the south (mainly FL) have a problem with the screen "bubbling" due to delamination. I was surprised not to find anything on this forum. I have a 2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon. We're now done with winter here in FL, but I didn't notice it until about the end of Feb. It's very noticeable. If heat is the issue, I wonder why it didn't start until Feb, when it was still rather cool. Unless it was a matter of it being cool (45-55) in the mornings and warming into mid-70 or higher during the day, plus considering the humidity. I don't have my windows tinted.... yet.
When I clean my screen, I spray screen cleaner lightly on a rag and wipe the screen, the same as you would do a computer screen.
This seems to be a manufacturer defect. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Thanks!
How was this resolved? I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 and I’m having the same issue but mine is automatically changing the stations. Definitely seems to be a manufacturer defect (cutting corners on quality).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're super sorry to come across this thread and learn that some of you are experiencing similar concerns with your touchscreens showing signs of delamination and "ghost touching". If anyone is working with their dealers to get this properly inspected and would like additional support, please send our team a private message so we can look into it further for you.

I hope your dealers are able to resolve your concerns in a timely manner!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
Hello Courtney, I have met with Campbell Dodge in Benton Arkansas. I spoke with Ken Oswalt, he provided me with the inspection confirming the radio is delaminating. Ken said I just needed to reach out to Ramcares to get the replacement started. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Wayne D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey everyone I just off the phone with Chrysler and they are saying if the vehicle is out of warranty you are on your own. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying a Ram….this was my first and last Ram.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey everyone I just off the phone with Chrysler and they are saying if the vehicle is out of warranty you are on your own. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying a Ram….this was my first and last Ram.
I take it you just don’t understand why that is, do you? I hate to burst your bubble but if you really think about it, anything major whether it’s a known issue with a 1200-dollar radio or even an unknown issue such as with an engine, transmission, axle housing or whatever, if it breaks/fails after the warranty period is up, thats just how it is and it’s never a reason to get pissed off at the manufacturer but whatever, you’re free to react to it in any way you chose. But you know, since no manufacture is perfect and since every consumer is subject to the same treatment irregardless what it says on the grille, before selling your truck over a radio, go on YouTube and and search for a video of this guy who bought a new screen of either eBay or Amazon and literally took his radio apart and replaced his own screen for hundreds cheaper but if you wanna just stick a for-sale sign in your window over a faulty touch screen, that’s your business. Hopefully your next truck brand will treat you like a King.

Oh and PS…. I’ve been told that the part of that screen that’s bubbling from the heat is just a fancy screen protector and you might be able to take the screen off and scrape that part off of it. I think I’d do that before just getting rid of it.

·
Registered
2,242 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're disheartened to hear that you're experiencing similar concerns with your touchscreens delaminating. It's important to get your touchscreens properly inspected by your dealers. They may be willing to work with you on this once they perform a proper diagnosis and consider all of the necessary information. If you'd like additional assistance or have questions, please let us know via private message.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

341 - 360 of 361 Posts