DODGE RAM FORUM banner
381 - 400 of 529 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
166 Posts
Yea. I tried th

Yea I watched that video and tried it. Ended up breaking the LCD. So as corneileous advises be very careful when separating. I was trying to pry the wrong junction apart. That goo in between the digitizer and lcd is a real mess. I used a lot of paper towels and denatured alcohol to clean it out. I figured I had nothing to loose as the normal process is to replace those two parts as a unit anyway. I've sent mine in to Infotainment who charges $650 to replace the screen and run it thru tests and update as necessary. I couldn't find what looked to be a reputable place that had the part in stock to replace myself. Dealer said the same thing about either a new or rebuilt one being on backorder. As I've said on my prior soapbox post...obviously Ram/Dodge put a lot of these with this manufacturing defect out there. My neighbor told me this morning he just received a letter from Ford on his truck to come in about about a similar issue. Sounds like Ford is going down the path of doing the right thing. Anyway...good luck !
How did you break your screen? Or are you talking about the outer digitizer? I dunno, if $650 is what that place you sent your radio to is charging you to fix it then I would’ve just bought the screen myself and replaced it in my own home rather than pay someone else to do it since it seems like it’s rather easy to replace the screen with a new one.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don’t mean to butt in but if you’re still within your warranty period then just go to your local dealer and set up a replacement because if you’re out of your 3-year/36,000 mile manufacturer warranty, I don’t think Ram Cares is going to be able to be much help unless Ram trucks authorizes an extension of warranty coverage on these faulty radio screens.

They have helped two of my customers get their screens replaced even after they were out of warranty. I believe that this should be a recall, but if I can get them to facilitate the replacement through my dealer and I don’t have to pay $1600 to get it replaced then it is worth the time and effort to see if they will help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
They have help two of my customers get their screens replaced even after they were out of warranty. I believe that this should be a recall, but if I can get them to facilitate the replacement through my dealer and I don’t have to pay $1600 to get it replaced then it is worth the time and effort to see if they will help.
Well, that’s good. It’s not like only a few people are having this problem, there’s a whole bunch of people having this problem so it’s good that some places are offering to help out. But one thing about recalls though, unless it’s a safety recall, no manufacturer is going to create a recall over a faulty radio, or anything else that isn’t an a safety concern which yes I know, being that this radio controls a lot of stuff, it should be considered a safety recall because how distracting it is when your screen gets bad enough to the point to where it’s turning the volume up and down, constantly changing the fan settings and doing all kinds of other glitchy stuff.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Went to the dealer, out of warranty... pretty disappointing it made it only 38,800 miles before it messed up, and an upgrade I specifically picked the truck for off the lot.

Suggested I call customer care. Any one else get this?
Same thing happened to me. I was 3 days past my warranty. The dealer wouldn’t do anything. I called dodge…spoke with a women who said she heard of this problem and it shouldn’t be a problem having the radio swapped out. Someone will call you back in a week. I waited the week….no call…I call them back and another women tells me to hold on..she said they looked into it and they will not do anything. She said it out of warranty. Not happy at all. Worst part is dodge knows about this problem the dealer knew about the problem but nothing is getting done.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Same thing happened to me. I was 3 days past my warranty. The dealer wouldn’t do anything. I called dodge…spoke with a women who said she heard of this problem and it shouldn’t be a problem having the radio swapped out. Someone will call you back in a week. I waited the week….no call…I call them back and another women tells me to hold on..she said they looked into it and they will not do anything. She said it out of warranty. Not happy at all. Worst part is dodge knows about this problem the dealer knew about the problem but nothing is getting done.
I hate to say it but again, unless you can talk your dealer or another dealer into somehow helping you out but if they say sorry, it’s out of warranty then quite frankly, out of warranty means out warranty so, I don’t know what more to tell you guys other than to threaten to seek legal action because pretty much the only leg that you would have to stand on is the fact that number one, you’re not alone because there’s a lot of people who have had this problem and it’s not just exclusive to Ram trucks as it’s pretty much affecting everything in Chrysler’s lineup that uses the same 8.4 Uconnect radio and two, the fact that Chrysler is aware of this issue by going to a better adhesive that glues the digitizer on to the screen that’s supposedly a lot more resistant to heat.

At this point, that’s all you’ve got or you go on Amazon or eBay and try to find you a new screen and change it out yourself or go to that YouTube video I posted a couple posts back and try to reattach your digitizer after you clean off all the old adhesive.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hello @ramcares if you could please send me a message so that I can talk with you I am having the same problems with my 2018 Ram 2500 Bog Horn. The system will not let me send you a message because I am a new member? Not sure why that is the case but I cannot do anything about that. My truck is basically useless at the moment. My Uconnect is going haywire because of the delimitation and it keeps turning my air conditioning, radio, and other items on and off. Thanks
Hey Scott,

We just sent you a private message! Please check your inbox.

Hey there,

We're sorry to hear about the experience you've had while trying to get your Uconnect system replaced. If you'd like us to check into your previous cases or see if there's any way we can help, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

·
Registered
166 Posts
I know you guys are new here but you really need to read through the thread.

Supposedly some dealerships apparently will work with you if you’re outside of warranty but for the most part, if you’re out of warranty and don’t have any kind of extended warranty then your only option is to replace the screen yourself or very carefully detach and reglue the digitizer on the outer face of the screen.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're sorry to hear that some of you have recently noticed signs of delamination in your Uconnect touchscreens. If anyone would like us to look into additional support alongside your dealership visits, please feel free to let us know! We can certainly look into it for you.

Courtney
Ram Cares

·
Registered
6 Posts
Same here as others at 42K miles. 2nd owner on a recently bought 2018 Ram Harvest Edition. Nice truck. When I bought truck I paid closed attention to engine, transmission, body, etc.... In all my experience I would never expected a radio to go wrong. Despite all the frustration with the delaminated screen as it has been discussed, I see this issue as an accident waiting to happen when radio goes on its own to dial, constant map voice commands, radio changing on its own, calling SOS, etc., etc. You constantly need to take your eyes off the road to try to control radio. Extremely frustrating and more frustrating when a radio replacement is $1400.
I’m sure FCA is doing the same thing Ford did with the Pinto issue. Calculating cost of fatality cases vs cost of recall. The only way to fight this is through revenue. We as consumers these days have social media to help spread the word. Stop buying vehicles from this manufacturer. A company that doesn’t stand behind their brand. I’m curious if the new 12” screen will have the same problem. It seems to me FCA tried to cut cost when changing to the new 8.4 and all of us are paying for it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're sorry to hear that some of you have recently noticed signs of delamination in your Uconnect touchscreens. If anyone would like us to look into additional support alongside your dealership visits, please feel free to let us know! We can certainly look into it for you.

Courtney
Ram Cares
Similar to many others here, I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, and the same issue with the 8.4” touch screen delaminating and malfunctioning. Most of the time now, it has constant random touches to the screen and hangs up phone calls, constantly changes the HVAC, radio, etc. It has become a big problem and a hazard to drive and operate the truck as it constantly beeps and changes something. I am the original owner and have only had this truck a little over 3 years. The blue tooth function is inoperable, as it will just hang up most calls. I am reaching out for help with this issue from RAM. I see Dodge/RAM is helping some owners with this problem, even out of warranty. This is not a wear and tear item, this is a manufacturer defect and safety issue and it should be addressed.
This site will not let me send you a direct message, since I am a new member. Please help.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Similar to many others here, I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, and the same issue with the 8.4” touch screen delaminating and malfunctioning. Most of the time now, it has constant random touches to the screen and hangs up phone calls, constantly changes the HVAC, radio, etc. It has become a big problem and a hazard to drive and operate the truck as it constantly beeps and changes something. I am the original owner and have only had this truck a little over 3 years. The blue tooth function is inoperable, as it will just hang up most calls. I am reaching out for help with this issue from RAM. I see Dodge/RAM is helping some owners with this problem, even out of warranty. This is not a wear and tear item, this is a manufacturer defect and safety issue and it should be addressed.
This site will not let me send you a direct message, since I am a new member. Please help.
Have you gone to a dealer first with your concern? Even if you Google Ram Cares number and call them, they’re probably going to tell you to go to a dealership first.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Similar issues as @GregMorris19, I have a 2018 Ram 3500 Limited with 30,500 miles; however started noticing the delamination with the 8.4” touch screen nearly 6 months ago and reached out to a dealer while in FL for help. At the time, I only had 26K miles and 3 months past the 36 month warranty period. The dealer mentioned there has been a lot of similar issues with these screens and would not be covered under warranty since it has expired. The quote they gave me to replace the screen and labor cost was $1200. It was very disappointing, and just chose to live with the bubble for the time being. Fast forward to now, the screen has worsened and has started malfunctioning with random touches to the screen, constantly changes the HVAC, radio, etc. I’ve had to disconnect Bluetooth with my phone due to the continuous calls it would randomly make. It’s very frustrating and a safety hazard to drive and operate the truck as it constantly beeps and changes something. I noticed that I’m not alone with this issue and wanted to seek help from RAM through this forum. I’ve been a Dodge Ram owner since 2009, and this is my third truck over the past 12 years. I would hope RAM would be able to cover the cost for me to replace this manufacturer defect on their 8.4” touch screen. I’m not sure how/who to send a PM to… I greatly appreciate your assistance.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I’m not sure how/who to send a PM to… I greatly appreciate your assistance.
Welcome to the forum BenJamin,

Comment #390 in this thread is from "ramcares", which is a RAM customer support account.

If you send them a private message with your concerns they may be able to help you work with a dealer of your choice, though from the reports I've read here on the forum, if the truck is out of warranty, only a very few people have had "goodwill" replacement screens installed at no cost from their dealer.

To send a private message to ramcares, hover over the ramcares avatar and a popup will appear. In the bottom right hand corner of that popup is a "message" tab. Click on that and you'll be taken to where you can begin a private "conversation" with ramcares.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey Scott,

We just sent you a private message! Please check your inbox.

Hey there,

We're sorry to hear about the experience you've had while trying to get your Uconnect system replaced. If you'd like us to check into your previous cases or see if there's any way we can help, please don't hesitate to reach out!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
I also recently started to have this same issue. It started small in the upper left corner and every week it seems to be getting bigger and bigger. I have a 2018 Ram Big Horn and I would like to get this fixed. Any help would be greatly apprecieated.
Thanks,
Mike

·
Registered
16 Posts
My 2018 Laramie LongHorn Uconnect screen has big time delaminated approx half the screen. I'm a couple months past the 36 month factory warranty with only 17,779 miles..ok so I'm an old guy and don't drive that much. Took truck to Fowler Dodge in Oklahoma City, service advisor jumped in and verified screen was delaminated & messed up but no techs were working until next week to verify the screen is delaminated. Let's see now, the service advisor and myself see it's delaminated but need a technician to verify what we both see and I have to pay for the diagnosis of such as I'm a couple months past the 36 month factorywarranty. Ram Care's how about an updated newer replacement screen be replaced and covered under customer satisfaction concern. Attached are pics of current screen and current odometer reading.

·
Registered
166 Posts
My 2018 Laramie LongHorn Uconnect screen has big time delaminated approx half the screen. I'm a couple months past the 36 month factory warranty with only 17,779 miles..ok so I'm an old guy and don't drive that much. Took truck to Fowler Dodge in Oklahoma City, service advisor jumped in and verified screen was delaminated & messed up but no techs were working until next week to verify the screen is delaminated. Let's see now, the service advisor and myself see it's delaminated but need a technician to verify what we both see and I have to pay for the diagnosis of such as I'm a couple months past the 36 month factorywarranty. Ram Care's how about an updated newer replacement screen be replaced and covered under customer satisfaction concern. Attached are pics of current screen and current odometer reading.
View attachment 139684 View attachment 139685 View attachment 139686
That dealer told you a tech was needed to verify your screen was delaminated? That’s a crock of shit. And they charged you for that tech “diagnosis”? A tech wasn’t even needed when I took mine in to start the claim and it wasn’t even as bad as yours. The service writer looked at it and said yep, your screen is delaminating, let’s go start the claim and get you a new one on its way.

381 - 400 of 529 Posts