DODGE RAM FORUM banner
421 - 440 of 494 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Ram Rebel - 34,080 miles.

No one can escape the dreaded screen bubble. Started about 8 months ago and has gotten progressively worse over time. Has Ram dressed this unilaterally or are we on our own?

Thanks,
Russ

@ramcares

Car Vehicle Motor vehicle Steering part Automotive design

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
147 Posts
2018 Ram Rebel - 34,080 miles.

No one can escape the dreaded screen bubble. Started about 8 months ago and has gotten progressively worse over time. Has Ram dressed this unilaterally or are we on our own?

Thanks,
Russ

@ramcares

View attachment 139855
I guess it just depends. The above poster before you was able to get the dealer to convince Ram to replace his radio for free. Just gotta go to your dealer and see what they say.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Sport
4 Posts
Has anyone heard of a recall or service bulletin for UConnect issues? I have a 2018 1500 Sport with 42,XXX miles and the screen is starting to delaminate. Dealer said since out of warranty, repair would be $1200. I am meticulous with my truck and the screen looks horrible. Besides the delamination, the whole system freezes up about once a day. The only way it resets is if I turn the vehicle off and on. I love my truck, but Ram’s quality control is atrocious.

@ramcares

·
Registered
147 Posts
has anyone heard of a recall or service bulletin for UConnect issues? I have an 2018 1500 Sport with 36,XXX miles and the screen is starting to delaminate. Dealer said since out of warranty, repair would be $1200. I am meticulous with my truck and the screen looks horrible. Besides the delamination, the whole system freezes up about once a day. The only way it resets is if I turn the vehicle off and on. I love my truck, but Ram’s quality control is atrocious.

@ramcares
No offense but just because of a faulty glue that they did address with the newer radios, their quality control is atrocious? If it takes generally three years for the screen delam to rear it’s ugly head then how can you say it’s a quality control issue?

But there is no service bulletin or a recall on this issue and if your dealer can’t somehow finagle Chrysler to buy you a new radio then your only options is to pay to have it replaced, go to infotainment.com and look into their repair service or look around on the net for a replacement screen and fix it yourself.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am having this same issue on our uconnect screen delaminating. I tried to PM you but I do not have 50 posts yet and I was hoping I could get another way to contact RamCares so we can try to get this issue resolved.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I am having this same issue on our uconnect screen delaminating. I tried to PM you but I do not have 50 posts yet and I was hoping I could get another way to contact RamCares so we can try to get this issue resolved.
Hello RokusRam18
Welcome to the forum.
If you take another shot at messaging ramcares, I think you'll find private messages (called conversations here on Ramforumz) are enabled for you now.
Do please let me know here if they are not.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi, I’m in North East Louisiana and the screen on my 2018 Ram 2500 has started to delaminate as well. Started as small bubbles in the upper corners and now nearly half the screen. Went to dealer to have them order a replacement under warranty as the truck is my daily driver. They said I would have to drop the truck off first to have their techs determine cause. So I lose my truck twice, one to determine the problem and again to replace as it’s clearly an issue covered under warranty. Extremely disappointing customer service.
Also in south Louisiana with a 2018. I called last year and they opened a case but nothing ever came of it. I don’t really like the options around here. What did you do?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Also in south Louisiana with a 2018. I called last year and they opened a case but nothing ever came of it. I don’t really like the options around here. What did you do?
Did you not go to the dealer first? Have you gone to a dealer?

·
Registered
3 Posts

I called FCS

i called FCA America and they said to call Uconnect. I called them and they said call FCA. FCA then put together a ticket and I never heard back. I probably should go to a dealer. I don’t like mine and I feel they’re all the same. Maybe I’m wrong..

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Sport
4 Posts
No offense but just because of a faulty glue that they did address with the newer radios, their quality control is atrocious? If it takes generally three years for the screen delam to rear it’s ugly head then how can you say it’s a quality control issue?

But there is no service bulletin or a recall on this issue and if your dealer can’t somehow finagle Chrysler to buy you a new radio then your only options is to pay to have it replaced, go to infotainment.com and look into their repair service or look around on the net for a replacement screen and fix it yourself.

The system locking up is more of an issue than the screen delam. They know it’s a very common issue, yet they don’t make good on it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I called FCS

i called FCA America and they said to call Uconnect. I called them and they said call FCA. FCA then put together a ticket and I never heard back. I probably should go to a dealer. I don’t like mine and I feel they’re all the same. Maybe I’m wrong..
Well I guess maybe it’s luck of the draw if calling the manufacturer of the truck would be a better first move or not but I just can’t unwrap my mind from going to the dealer first.

I can’t believe FCA, Chrysler or Ram Cares, whoever it was you spoke with told you call Uconnect. That doesn’t make any sense at all.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The system locking up is more of an issue than the screen delam. They know it’s a very common issue, yet they don’t make good on it.
Maybe the screen delam is what’s causing the lockups. Was it ever locking up before your screen started to delaminate? I’ve heard of a few lockup issues with these radios but primarily from what I’ve heard that causes that is from the very touchy update process of the radio when you don’t have the built-in WiFi with the SIM card and have to do it with a flash drive.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Sport
4 Posts
Maybe the screen delam is what’s causing the lockups. Was it ever locking up before your screen started to delaminate? I’ve heard of a few lockup issues with these radios but primarily from what I’ve heard that causes that is from the very touchy update process of the radio when you don’t have the built-in WiFi with the SIM card and have to do it with a flash drive.

Yes, system freezing started before the delam. I’ll probably end up buying a new screen and replacing it. Doesn’t look too difficult. Love my truck, but these little quirks annoy the shit out of me.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Yes, system freezing started before the delam. I’ll probably end up buying a new screen and replacing it. Doesn’t look too difficult. Love my truck, but these little quirks annoy the shit out of me.
Oh, I hear ya. I’m just glad I have a very long warranty on my truck that will pay for stuff like that up until the price of the repair out-costs the monetary value of my truck.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I called FCS

Here's the best skinny I can provide on getting a new uconnect screen at no charge. I had to go to the dealership two times before I found a service advisor who knew anything about the uconnect screen delamination issues. The 1st service advisor knew absolutely diddly squat about uconnect and told me to call uconnect or I could pay for a diagnosis, I declined. Went back a week later to Fowler Dodge on I-240 in OKC and talked to a different service advisor (Fabian Munoz) who told me he had seen dozens of these and there's a goid chance Chrysler will replace it at no charge. He took a pic of my XM radio code, plugged in his OBD thingy and then and wrote up a repair order stating the screen is delaminated. He also advised me he would contact Chrysler and get back to me. In the mean time I contacted RamCares on here and sent them details of what my uconnect was doing ie ghosting, locking up etc along with the delamination over half the screen. I also sent them color pics of my screen and current odometer reading. Now to be upfront, my truck is 4 months past the 36/36 warranty and mileage is very low at 17,800 approx. I also called Chrysler who initially told me to go to a dealership. RamCares contacted me and advised they were going to advocate on my behalf to get this resolved. And after approx a week, RamCares contacted me and stated they had escalated my case to a rep with Chrysler and provided a case # as well. A week after that Chrysler called me and stated they were going to replace my uconnect with no charge to me. 3 days later the service advisor who knew all about uconnect delamination issues called me and stated that Chrysler contacted him has approved replacing my uconnect at no cost and the new uconnect has been order and should arrive in approx 5 to 7 days. A couple days later,
Uconnect sent me an email stating the new Uconnect radio had been ordered and should arrive in a few days.. All in all I believe it was finding the RIGHT SERVICE ADVISOR who knows what the hell their actually looking at, contacting RamCares along with sending photos and also contacting Chrysler. Also keep in mind the service advisor and mechs at the dealership make absolutely zero on this type of repair/replacement so most will not want to deal with this, just like the first service advisor I talked to who said to call Uconnect.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Sport
4 Posts
Here's the best skinny I can provide on getting a new uconnect screen at no charge. I had to go to the dealership two times before I found a service advisor who knew anything about the uconnect screen delamination issues. The 1st service advisor knew absolutely diddly squat about uconnect and told me to call uconnect or I could pay for a diagnosis, I declined. Went back a week later to Fowler Dodge on I-240 in OKC and talked to a different service advisor (Fabian Munoz) who told me he had seen dozens of these and there's a goid chance Chrysler will replace it at no charge. He took a pic of my XM radio code, plugged in his OBD thingy and then and wrote up a repair order stating the screen is delaminated. He also advised me he would contact Chrysler and get back to me. In the mean time I contacted RamCares on here and sent them details of what my uconnect was doing ie ghosting, locking up etc along with the delamination over half the screen. I also sent them color pics of my screen and current odometer reading. Now to be upfront, my truck is 4 months past the 36/36 warranty and mileage is very low at 17,800 approx. I also called Chrysler who initially told me to go to a dealership. RamCares contacted me and advised they were going to advocate on my behalf to get this resolved. And after approx a week, RamCares contacted me and stated they had escalated my case to a rep with Chrysler and provided a case # as well. A week after that Chrysler called me and stated they were going to replace my uconnect with no charge to me. 3 days later the service advisor who knew all about uconnect delamination issues called me and stated that Chrysler contacted him has approved replacing my uconnect at no cost and the new uconnect has been order and should arrive in approx 5 to 7 days. A couple days later,
Uconnect sent me an email stating the new Uconnect radio had been ordered and should arrive in a few days.. All in all I believe it was finding the RIGHT SERVICE ADVISOR who knows what the hell their actually looking at, contacting RamCares along with sending photos and also contacting Chrysler. Also keep in mind the service advisor and mechs at the dealership make absolutely zero on this type of repair/replacement so most will not want to deal with this, just like the first service advisor I talked to who said to call Uconnect.
That’s great information. Thank you!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello all, I'm in the same situation here. I purchased a 2018 Ram 1500 with the 8.4 4C Uconnect screen that has a delamination issue. I purchased the truck used, listed as certified pre-owned. Turns out the Ram dealer I purchased it from lied about the certified pre-owned status, another issue I'll be most likely having to deal with later. So this experience has been brutal. I like my truck with the exception of this screen issue. How is the best way to get this sorted? Will going the route of talking to a dealer maintenance department help? How is the best way to contact Ram Cares? Sorry if these are redundant questions. I'm completely new to this forum, as well as these types of forums in general.
Thanks.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
How is the best way to contact Ram Cares? Sorry if these are redundant questions. I'm completely new to this forum, as well as these types of forums in general.
Welcome!!
Not the most cheerful circumstances for your first visit here, for sure, but welcome anyway.

The best way to contact ramcares is by private message, which we call "conversations" here on Ramforumz.
From here, the easiest way is for you to click on your avatar (which right now is a big letter "S" in a pink square, you can change that later if you want) in the top right hand corner of your screen. A popup will appear with a list of several options, and about in the middle of that list you'll see "conversations".
Click on that and you'll be take to a place where you can begin a conversation with ramcares. Enter "ramcares" in the address box, give your message a title, then write the body of your message and send it.
They will eventually ask for the kind of information from you that is best not posted in a public space (like your Truck's VIN and the name on the registration etc), and that's why private conversations are best in this situation.

I will say that ramcares will probably ask the name of your dealer, so if you have not had a conversation with them (doesn't have to be the dealer you bought from if you're already having issues with them) maybe that would be a first step. You don't mention mileage on your Ram, so be aware that if you're well beyond the original factory warranty mileage limit it may be an uphill struggle to get any reimbursement from RAM, but hey, never hurts to try.
This is a really looooong comment thread where some folks have reported success in getting some reimbursement, and others have had zero satisfaction in that regard.

This is definitely a known and regrettably common issue, but currently RAM is not offering any kind of policy to repair these units outside of warranty.

If you click on my avatar next to my comment here, you'll get a popup with the option to send me a message too. If I can be of any further help with anything, please don't hesitate to do exactly that.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Hello everyone,

We're disheartened to hear that some of you are experiencing concerns with your touchscreens. If anyone is currently working with their dealer and would like our support, please send us a private message! We'd be happy to look into it for you.

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

421 - 440 of 494 Posts