DODGE RAM FORUM banner
461 - 480 of 521 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Try a different dealer because if Ram Trucks decides to help you even though you are outside of warranty, it’s not your dealer who’s going to be paying for it so for them to just basically tell you you’re screwed is just sheer laziness on their part. I don’t want to get your hopes up but being that you’re outside of warranty, they probably just assumed Ram would say no so they didn’t even bother to try. I don’t like telling you this because unfortunately out of warranty means out if warranty but since this is a big issue, there was a member here who actually got his radio replaced free of charge even though he only had like 17, 18,000 miles and was past the three years. How his dealer was able to swing that is beyond me but who knows, that could’ve been chalked up to having less than 20k miles on a truck that’s over three years old.

I concur with "corneileous", I was the lucky one who received a new updated Uconnect radio under warranty from Chrysler even though I was past the factory 36/36 but only had 17,779 miles when I took it in to the dealership. The 1st service advisor told me what everyone else's is hearing "sorry past warranty" blah blah. Went in a 2nd time and got different service advisor (younger fella) who knew all about the uconnect issues. He did the following, wrote a repair order "delaminated uconnect" and he then contacted Chrysler. I also in the mean time contacted RamCares. Chrysler and RamCares & Uconnect contacted me and in short replaced my Uconnect radio with a newer updated version and it's been working like perfect. So don't take just persons no for an answer, try again at another dealership. Good luck!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Try a different dealer because if Ram Trucks decides to help you even though you are outside of warranty, it’s not your dealer who’s going to be paying for it so for them to just basically tell you you’re screwed is just sheer laziness on their part. I don’t want to get your hopes up but being that you’re outside of warranty, they probably just assumed Ram would say no so they didn’t even bother to try. I don’t like telling you this because unfortunately out of warranty means out if warranty but since this is a big issue, there was a member here who actually got his radio replaced free of charge even though he only had like 17, 18,000 miles and was past the three years. How his dealer was able to swing that is beyond me but who knows, that could’ve been chalked up to having less than 20k miles on a truck that’s over three years old.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'll try a different dealer or even call ram directly if I can find a contact. I have some good video of this screen going haywire. I don't want to waste my time, but IMO they should recall these screens as it is 100% a safety issue. We pulled over to mess with it before re rearended someone. Not being able to shut it off or control it is just a mess.

I'll keep you guys updated.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I'll try a different dealer or even call ram directly if I can find a contact. I have some good video of this screen going haywire. I don't want to waste my time, but IMO they should recall these screens as it is 100% a safety issue. We pulled over to mess with it before re rearended someone. Not being able to shut it off or control it is just a mess.

I'll keep you guys updated.
Excellent!!! I did the same thing when contacting Chrysler & RamCares, i sent both color pics and a video as well...don't give up the ship !!!

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
164 Posts
I concur with "corneileous", I was the lucky one who received a new updated Uconnect radio under warranty from Chrysler even though I was past the factory 36/36 but only had 17,779 miles when I took it in to the dealership. The 1st service advisor told me what everyone else's is hearing "sorry past warranty" blah blah. Went in a 2nd time and got different service advisor (younger fella) who knew all about the uconnect issues. He did the following, wrote a repair order "delaminated uconnect" and he then contacted Chrysler. I also in the mean time contacted RamCares. Chrysler and RamCares & Uconnect contacted me and in short replaced my Uconnect radio with a newer updated version and it's been working like perfect. So don't take just persons no for an answer, try again at another dealership. Good luck!!
I don’t know, I and I’m not trying to dissuade anybody from trying by saying this but sometimes I really think the only reason why Chrysler worked with you is because even though your truck was older than three years old, you still had so little miles on it is why you got a new radio even still considering that no matter what, for most people, out of warranty means out of warranty. Unless they decide to officially extend the warranty on these radios, they’re not obligated to replace it if you’ve had your truck longer than three years or if it’s under three years old and you’ve got more than 36,000 miles on it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I don’t know, I and I’m not trying to dissuade anybody from trying by saying this but sometimes I really think the only reason why Chrysler worked with you is because even though your truck was older than three years old, you still had so little miles on it is why you got a new radio even still considering that no matter what, for most people, out of warranty means out of warranty. Unless they decide to officially extend the warranty on these radios, they’re not obligated to replace it if you’ve had your truck longer than three years or if it’s under three years old and you’ve got more than 36,000 miles on it.

I have 41k and just put 4k on it going on a cross country trip. I'm not 100% sure, but if it's a safety issue I don't think your miles/years on the truck really matter. This was the most distracting thing I've ever seen on a truck and then it beeping for 8 hours straight randomly like 100 times a minute. The screen off button not working, etc.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have 41k and just put 4k on it going on a cross country trip. I'm not 100% sure, but if it's a safety issue I don't think your miles/years on the truck really matter. This was the most distracting thing I've ever seen on a truck and then it beeping for 8 hours straight randomly like 100 times a minute. The screen off button not working, etc.
You’re right, if it’s an announced safety recall then duration owned and miles accumulated doesn’t matter but unless the government deems it as a safety issue and forces a recall on it then out of warranty means exactly that unless Ram finally realizes that there is a bunch of customers having this problem and treats these radios with an extended warranty like they did for the fuel tank straps.

·
Registered
15 Posts

I fully agree with you on this one, they were under no obligation as technically I was over the 36/36. Plus the service advisor & mech make absolutely squat on warranty replacements and service is their bread & butter so to speak. The service advisor that helped me out knew all about the Uconnect issues and even stated most likely Chrysler would replace it based on the low miles I had. Once Chrysler called me, that demonstrated he (service advisor) was willing to go the extra mile knowing he wouldn't make a dime, but saved me $1500.00 on a new one. The day they installed my new updated version of Uconnect and we verified it was fully operational, I made sure he was let's just appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
2018 Ram 1500 Big Horn, 57XXX miles and no longer in warranty, the screen delamination started in the upper left corner and is now starting to appear on the right corner. Took it into the dealership, they quoted a screen swap part for $780 plus whatever labor necessary.
I've sent a PM to ramcares to see if they can help, just waiting to hear back from them.
My 2018 1500 Big Horn started in Dec. By Feb it was much larger. View attachment 132397 View attachment 132398
Mine looks the same. Curious if you reached out to Ram about the issue and if they gave any replacement?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine looks the same. Curious if you reached out to Ram about the issue and if they gave any replacement?
I reached out to RamCares along with Chrysler and my uconnect radio was ultimately replaced under warranty. Be advised, you'll be ask if you've taken it to a dealership yet? which I had done. In short the service advisor I used wrote up a repair order on the radio as being delaminated and then he contacted Chrysler as I was already past the 36/36 warranty period.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks, I'll try reaching out the them. Not sure about the warranty. Its a 2018 Big Horn and I just hit 54,000 miles. Probably way past the window time for a free replacement.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2018 ram 1500 Laramie quad cab 26000 miles. I have the screen delaminating and was pressing the clock reset button nonstop until the delam went past it. I first noticed it around 24000 miles in February. It seemed that heat sped up the process. My windows are dark tinted and religiously use a sunshade. I need advise if I should attempt the fix myself or see what the dealer says. I know I can do it myself I just don’t want to accidentally mess up the dash trim or electrical.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I need advise if I should attempt the fix myself or see what the dealer says. I know I can do it myself I just don’t want to accidentally mess up the dash trim or electrical.
You have nothing to lose by contacting your dealer to see if they can help. Your OEM warranty has probably timed out, but your mileage is low, so it's worth a shot.
You could also send a private message to "ramcares" here on the forum to see if they might be of some assistance.
I'd try the dealer first, then message ramcares here if the dealer says there's nothing they can do.
Quite a few people have replaced their own screens with a new unit with updated adhesive. If you're careful and have some mechanical aptitude, it's not super difficult.
But that's not where I'd start, it's what I'd end up doing after exhausting all efforts to persuade RAM to replace the crappy one they put in my truck when they built it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
You have nothing to lose by contacting your dealer to see if they can help. Your OEM warranty has probably timed out, but your mileage is low, so it's worth a shot.
You could also send a private message to "ramcares" here on the forum to see if they might be of some assistance.
I'd try the dealer first, then message ramcares here if the dealer says there's nothing they can do.
Quite a few people have replaced their own screens with a new unit with updated adhesive. If you're careful and have some mechanical aptitude, it's not super difficult.
But that's not where I'd start, it's what I'd end up doing after exhausting all efforts to persuade RAM to replace the crappy one they put in my truck when they built it.
Cool thanks I’ll call the dealership to see what they say. I’ll update as needed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was on the RAM Forumz researching my issue and read through dozens of posts that describe similar issues that I have been having with my UConnect screen delaminating. It started about a year ago and the delamination kept increasing from the top. The dealership said I'd need a new radio at a cost of about $1,200. At the time I felt that was too much to fix what appeared to be a cosmetic issue. Recently the delamination increased nearly down to the bottom and now it appears to have affected the touchscreen making it go berserk ... changing radio stations, randomly adjusting or turning off the climate center, turning on the back up camera, even making calls on my connected iPhone. (Sound familiar?) I'm sure my 2018 RAM 1500 Big Horn is out of warranty (at just over 65,000 miles). From what I've read it doesn't sound like there is a recall on this. I'd be interested to see if the manufacturer is willing to cover or assist with repair or replacement. If not then is there is a reasonable repair other than replacing the entire UConnect unit? I've tried to PM RamCares but got a response that I have to interact in the forum first.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I've tried to PM RamCares but got a response that I have to interact in the forum first.
Sorry you ran into that problem.
Private conversations should be enabled for you now if you'd care to try again.

You are correct that there is not a recall on this issue currently, nor are there any programs to provide assistance with repairs if the vehicle is out of warranty, either by RAM or by the manufacturer of the screens with the crappy adhesive.
Some few people do report getting help under certain circumstances, but it would appear to be uncommon up to this point.

As for repair, it's possible to replace just the screen (without replacing the entire head unit) with an updated version. Some folks have done it themselves. Quite a few Youtube videos show the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Sorry you ran into that problem.
Private conversations should be enabled for you now if you'd care to try again.

You are correct that there is not a recall on this issue currently, nor are there any programs to provide assistance with repairs if the vehicle is out of warranty, either by RAM or by the manufacturer of the screens with the crappy adhesive.
Some few people do report getting help under certain circumstances, but it would appear to be uncommon up to this point.

As for repair, it's possible to replace just the screen (without replacing the entire head unit) with an updated version. Some folks have done it themselves. Quite a few Youtube videos show the process.
Any recommendations on some good YouTube videos to search for? I found several that were minimally helpful. I'd like to see the entire process ... removal of dashboard / panel(s) to access the head unit, removal of head unit (if necessary), proper removal of touchscreen without damaging or scratching the LCD (or would I replace the entire LCD and touchscreen), etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Any recommendations on some good YouTube videos to search for? I found several that were minimally helpful. I'd like to see the entire process ... removal of dashboard / panel(s) to access the head unit, removal of head unit (if necessary), proper removal of touchscreen without damaging or scratching the LCD (or would I replace the entire LCD and touchscreen), etc. Thanks.
This s a good one.

This one even shows you how to re-glue your digitizer onto the screen.

There’s all kinds of videos man, you just have to go to YouTube and type in Uconnect screen replacement and you’ll get a whole slew of videos.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
I haven't reviewed but a couple of videos in this category, and neither showed the entire removal from dash, only the replacement once it's been separated from the head unit. Like you, if faced with the need to do this repair, I'd for sure want to see the entire process.
I did see a video which showed the difference between replacing the Screen/LCD combination and replacing just the screen once you've got the combination out of the head unit.
The combo replacement is a a good bit easier, since separating the screen from the LCD usually involves applying heat (hair dryer looks like it would work) to the glue strip to render it pliable enough to cut. Doable, but any mis-steps when cutting that glue strip which dings the LCD means you'll end up doing both anyway.
Maybe searching for a "head unit removal" video would fill in some gaps?

PS: If you do find one, it would be great if you could post a link to it here, or send it to me in a private conversation. With as many screens going kaput as are being reported, a "how to" thread for fixing it yourself would be a good addition to the forum. I'd be willing to put one together if we can assemble clear video instructions on how to do it from start to finish, and some help with finding good tutorial material will be really appreciated.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
This s a good one.
Hey thanks for those corneileous -
Anything you can find to help is great. I have chickenshit satellite internet with a 20 Gig monthly data cap here in the mountains, so I don't have the bandwidth to review vids hardly at all.
Still waiting for Elon Musk to send me my Starlink kit, then by golly things will be different. No telling when that will get here though. Old Elon just says "thanks for the deposit, we'll be in touch", and that's it!!!
LOL
Good sources for replacement screens/LCD would be valuable too, if anyone has experience in that area.

·
Registered
164 Posts
You know, it’s kind of weird that after reading all the posts, I don’t think I’ve read a single post yet anywhere where this problem happened to somebody before their truck turns three years old. Doesn’t seem to be affected by mileage but it’s just awful funny that it seems like it’s always just outside of the three-year portion of the factory warranty and if it’s affected by heat like they say it is then why wouldn’t the trucks that have lesser miles on them be having this happen quicker? The ones that have more miles are the ones that are obviously having a lot more of a temperature-controlled environment inside the cab than the ones that obviously sit more irregardless of whether or not you’ve got your windows tinted or if you religiously use a sunshade in your windshield when it’s hot.

461 - 480 of 521 Posts