DODGE RAM FORUM banner
481 - 500 of 525 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am also experiencing the delamination and ghosting with my 2018 Ram 1550 with only 46K miles it seems to be a very wide issue impacting FCA vehicles across multiple models and manufacture years, I wonder why dealers are not telling people vs. largely just quoting replacements at out of warranty cost, very bad look. I otherwise love my truck but this really raises red flags for FCA with me.

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
if it’s affected by heat like they say biggie then why wouldn’t the trucks that have lesser miles on them be having this happen quicker?
Yeah, interesting observation. Another variable would be if a truck is garage-kept when not in use, or just parked outside. And if it is indeed heat-related, one would expect more failures in the south and desert west than in, say New England or Canada. I don't know if that kind of data are available though, at least not to us down here in the cheap seats.

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
165 Posts
I am also experiencing the delamination and ghosting with my 2018 Ram 1550 with only 46K miles it seems to be a very wide issue impacting FCA vehicles across multiple models and manufacture years, I wonder why dealers are not telling people vs. largely just quoting replacements at out of warranty cost, very bad look. I otherwise love my truck but this really raises red flags for FCA with me.
That’s a really good point that I’ve wondered about myself because when it ends up getting paid for by other than your dime, it’s not the dealership that pays for it, it’s the manufacturer so as far as why like, in the case of that one member on here who got his radio replaced under warranty even though his truck was well outside the three-year limit, he said the first service writer that he talked to told him he was screwed and that he would have to pay for it but once he got ahold of another service writer, that was the one who actually got off his butt and started the process and actually got him his warranty claim so whether or not the first guy was just being lazy or if he just thought that since even though he wasn’t outside of the mileage warranty, he was outside of the three-year warranty that he just assumed Chrysler wasn’t going to do anything.

And on a sidenote, please don’t call it FCA anymore…Lol. Ever since fiat and Peugeot merged, the company FCA is no more and I think Chrysler is just back to being Chrysler again. They’re still a subsidary however of the new company Stellantis but this FCA crap is gone, thank God….lol.

I never really did mind it when fiat owns Chrysler, I just don’t like that they had to incorporate their name in front of Chryslers which made far too many people think that all of a sudden everything Chrysler was now a Fiat…LOL. I know you didn’t say they were, I was just saying in general.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2018 Ram 1500 Limited 4x4
165 Posts
Yeah, interesting observation. Another variable would be if a truck is garage-kept when not in use, or just parked outside. And if it is indeed heat-related, one would expect more failures in the south and desert west than in, say New England or Canada. I don't know if that kind of data are available though, at least not to us down here in the cheap seats.
Sounds legit to me but unless I missed it, why does it seem like it’s just happening to the 2018 models and not the 17s or perhaps the 16s?

·
Registered
3 Posts
That’s a really good point that I’ve wondered about myself because when it ends up getting paid for by other than your dime, it’s not the dealership that pays for it, it’s the manufacturer so as far as why like, in the case of that one member on here who got his radio replaced under warranty even though his truck was well outside the three-year limit, he said the first service writer that he talked to told him he was screwed and that he would have to pay for it but once he got ahold of another service writer, that was the one who actually got off his butt and started the process and actually got him his warranty claim so whether or not the first guy was just being lazy or if he just thought that since even though he wasn’t outside of the mileage warranty, he was outside of the three-year warranty that he just assumed Chrysler wasn’t going to do anything.

And on a sidenote, please don’t call it FCA anymore…Lol. Ever since fiat and Peugeot merged, the company FCA is no more and I think Chrysler is just back to being Chrysler again. They’re still a subsidary however of the new company Stellantis but this FCA crap is gone, thank God….lol.

I never really did mind it when fiat owns Chrysler, I just don’t like that they had to incorporate their name in front of Chryslers which made far too many people think that all of a sudden everything Chrysler was now a Fiat…LOL. I know you didn’t say they were, I was just saying in general.

I guess it just depends on the service tech you get and maybe how engaged they are on what common issues there are and what particulars, I have an appointment to bring my truck to the dealer next week and I have my fingers crossed they will recognize the problem as delamination and help me initiate an out of warranty claim since I am the original owner. You are right out the FCA thing, I had honestly forgotten that after the merger they are under one banner as Stellantis. Regarding heat being pointed to as the culprit, I have read in some other Chrysler/Jeep forums that these 8.4-inch screens can run hot to the touch some report 125+ F., I keep a sunshade on my truck when it is not undercover so I definitely don't think exposed to direct sunlight is a factor in my case, but I guess I will see what the dealer says.

·
Registered
1 Posts
2018 Laramie Longhorn with 25,000 miles, however, it is almost 4 years old. The top of my screen has delaminated and my Sirius favorites change randomly. Very frustrating. This should be a recall issue given the frequency of the problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I also have a 2018 Ram 2500 Crew Cab Laramie with 79,000 miles and the delaminating started at around 50k. Mu truck is black and in the Texas sun it happened overnight. Once the delaminating reached a certain point the “ghost touch” got unbearable… still is. I went by the dealership i purchased the vehicle from (happened after 3 months of ownership) and was started a case and escalated which i was then told would not be covered. Due to the price of the replacement cost of the screen i have opted to see if Dodge would eventually do anything with this manufacturer defect in their screens. I was told they know have a new vendor for the screen. I am unable to drive my truck currently as the heater/a/c constantly changes while driving. Additionally have missed several turns cause the gps continues to cancel and move all over the map. Please Reach out to me Dodge!!

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Greetings @slramsey57 and @Krackerkyle!

We would like to review your vehicle concerns if interested. Please send our team a private message with your vehicle's VIN as well as any relevant information and images relating to your concern for us to review. We hope to hear from you both soon.

Hannah
Ram Cares

Reactions: LBellaSpano

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello.... new to the Forumz. I'm having the same problem with my 2018 Ram Laramie with 54,000 miles. Been reading everything posted so I'm taking mine to Carlock Ram, Tupelo, MS tomorrow to see what they will say. Like most on here, it started in the left top corner and spread across at a rapid rate. I guess after I take it to dealership I'll contact Ram Cares. As much as I have read on this forum and others, this should not be an expense to the owners since everyone has pretty much admitted to it being a ongoing problem. Looking forward to learning more about the RAM from all of the members!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reached out to RamCares along with Chrysler and my uconnect radio was ultimately replaced under warranty. Be advised, you'll be ask if you've taken it to a dealership yet? which I had done. In short the service advisor I used wrote up a repair order on the radio as being delaminated and then he contacted Chrysler as I was already past the 36/36 warranty period.
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 with screen delamination. The factory warranty expired 9 months ago and the mileage is currently at 34k miles. I'm the second owner, but my stepfather was the original purchaser. I went to the local dealership today, which happens to be where the truck was purchased, and was approved for a new screen under a goodwill repair. Much like Chief has stated, if you have a good rapport with your dealership, give them a try. I contacted UConnect and RamCare before the dealership and they both denied me because the factory warranty was expired. If your vehicle falls under the time OR mileage of the factory warranty and you can find a decent dealer, there is hope.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I am happy to report that after taking my 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie to the dealership they were able to confirm the delamination issue. I was then able to call Ram Cares support and they opened a case and contacted the dealership directly to confirm that it was a delamination issue and ultimately offered to take care of the replacement expenses for me even though I have 46K miles and it is out of warranty. Ultimately, as wide an issue as this seems to be, I wish it was a recall item and we wouldn't have to go through this convoluted process to have it addressed, I am thankful that the dealership and Ram Cares were able to take care of this. My advice to anyone else having the issue is to take it in to the dealership and let the service managers know that even if they have not seen it, most likely they have, it is a fairly widespread issue and Ram Cares is aware of it and can intervene for out of warranty repairs.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Hello,

We're so glad to hear that you were able to get your concerns addressed in such a smooth fashion, @jmb19812001 ! Our teams are always available if you have general questions or concerns. If anyone is currently experiencing concerns while working with their dealers, please don't hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and details about your situation. We'd be happy to look into it for you!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello,

We're so glad to hear that you were able to get your concerns addressed in such a smooth fashion, @jmb19812001 ! Our teams are always available if you have general questions or concerns. If anyone is currently experiencing concerns while working with their dealers, please don't hesitate to send us a private message with your VIN and details about your situation. We'd be happy to look into it for you!

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares
POSSESSED 2018 Dodge Ram

I have a 2018 Ram that the screen has started delaminating at the top, I called our local dealership and was told it would be 1200 to 1500 to fix and that they had never heard of any other dodge products having this issue, a quick Google search lead me here. I also live in Florida as do many of the others on the forum, and bought a Dodge specifically, for previous quality customer service.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
POSSESSED 2018 Dodge Ram

I have a 2018 Ram that the screen has started delaminating at the top, I called our local dealership and was told it would be 1200 to 1500 to fix and that they had never heard of any other dodge products having this issue, a quick Google search lead me here. I also live in Florida as do many of the others on the forum, and bought a Dodge specifically, for previous quality customer service.
Hi there,

It sounds like you might be running into some concerns while working with your dealer to get this properly inspected and addressed. You're always welcome to seek out a second opinion from another dealer nearby if you are not satisfied with your current dealers service, as they may be willing to work with you once all of the necessary information is considered. If you'd like us to look into this for you, send us a private message with your VIN and any additional details/documentation that will help me get a better understanding of your situation?

Thanks,

Courtney
Ram Cares

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2018 Ram 2500 Longhorn and it’s a serious problem. It started out of nowhere and now you can’t do anything. It will make calls, jump from program to program, change the air temp. It’s horrible, and of course it’s out of warranty now. I’mso frustrated with this it’s ridiculous. The truck of my dreams is beginning to turn into a nightmare.
Do you know how to register for the lawsuit. My dad has a 2018 dodge ram and his radio is doing the same thing

·
Registered
1 Posts
New member here but basically same issue here thanks to Google searching. 2018 1500 Laramie with the 8.4 uconnect that I just noticed doing it too. 53k miles on the truck and I have a call into my dealership in California awaiting to hear back from them. I really wish since this does seem to be a known issue, that a TSB be created for the head unit replacement. Nowadays with how "connected" these vehicles are centralized through the head unit dealerships should have a computer hardware technician on hand to service these screens instead of an entire head unit. Just my $.02.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Also new member here due to this occurring and google search. 2018 1500 Big Horn 49k. Delamination bubbling at the top of 8.4 screen that I assume will get worse. Called into FCA customer care and since its just out of warranty they said to work with the dealer.

This is widespread with the 2018s it seems. Last poster is spot on with his comments.

481 - 500 of 525 Posts