DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Uconnect 8.4 Screen Delamination

183K views 660 replies 268 participants last post by  DisgruntledCanuck 
#1 ·
I looked in other Dodge forums and found where several people living in the south (mainly FL) have a problem with the screen "bubbling" due to delamination. I was surprised not to find anything on this forum. I have a 2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon. We're now done with winter here in FL, but I didn't notice it until about the end of Feb. It's very noticeable. If heat is the issue, I wonder why it didn't start until Feb, when it was still rather cool. Unless it was a matter of it being cool (45-55) in the mornings and warming into mid-70 or higher during the day, plus considering the humidity. I don't have my windows tinted.... yet.
When I clean my screen, I spray screen cleaner lightly on a rag and wipe the screen, the same as you would do a computer screen.
This seems to be a manufacturer defect. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Thanks!

#362 ·
I looked in other Dodge forums and found where several people living in the south (mainly FL) have a problem with the screen "bubbling" due to delamination. I was surprised not to find anything on this forum. I have a 2018 RAM 2500 Power Wagon. We're now done with winter here in FL, but I didn't notice it until about the end of Feb. It's very noticeable. If heat is the issue, I wonder why it didn't start until Feb, when it was still rather cool. Unless it was a matter of it being cool (45-55) in the mornings and warming into mid-70 or higher during the day, plus considering the humidity. I don't have my windows tinted.... yet.
When I clean my screen, I spray screen cleaner lightly on a rag and wipe the screen, the same as you would do a computer screen.
This seems to be a manufacturer defect. Has anyone else noticed this issue? Thanks!
This issue just started in the top left corner of my 2018 ram 2500 power wagon. I have the life time extended warranty option. Do you know if this is covered?

#368 ·
Like so many here, I have a 2018 Ram 2500 with the same delamination problem. It's a shame Dodge just doesn't stand up and do the right thing with such a wide spread and well known manufacturer defect but instead chooses to ignore and make their customers foot the bill of hundreds of dollars to repair and make right. In comparison, I've had several Toyotas - cars, trucks, suvs with none having such an expensive repair required even after 100K+ miles. This is my first Dodge product and now a significant issue at just 45K miles with a dealer quote of 2K+ to repair. Plus I find after googling - like on this site - how wide spread it is. Let me compare that to one of my Toyotas...I had a 2012 RAV that after 7 years and 150K miles the paint started peeling. A few months after that started, I receive a letter from Toyota acknowledging the problem and to take it to a dealer for evaluation. Bottom line, Toyota proactively reached out, acknowledged they had a defect with the particular color paint mine had and paid to have the whole car repainted - AFTER 7 YEARS AND 150K MILES !!!! Dodge won't even step up to right a clear defect after 3 years and 45K miles !!!. This is why after 40 years of driving I avoided and never purchased a Dodge product - simply put their bad reputation for quality and backing their product. Just a shame.

#370 ·
Hello everyone,

We're sorry to hear about the concerns some of you are experiencing with your screens showing signs of delamination. If anyone is currently working with their dealers to get this properly addressed and would like additional support, please feel free to follow up via private message with your VIN and details so we can take a look into your situation.

Thanks in advance,

Courtney
Ram Cares

#373 ·
I have a 2018 Ram 1500 doing the same thing. I live in AZ and this is my 3rd Ram and the 1st one that is doing this. Radio works fine it just looks bad! Of Course it is out of warranty!

#377 ·
I also found this video that appears to me that if you’re very careful and successful at peeling the digitizer off the face of the screen… The part that is supposedly whats becoming delaminated and causing all the issues- that just simply using rubbing alcohol to clean all the old adhesive from the screen below it and the digitizer that you can supposedly somehow glue that piece back on and solve all your problems.

Also, I don’t know if it said it in the description of the video but supposedly you can order a new digitizer if you have to replace yours that’s a lot cheaper than buying a new screen.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#378 ·
Yea. I tried th
I also found this video that appears to me that if you’re very careful and successful at peeling the digitizer off the face of the screen… The part that is supposedly whats becoming delaminated and causing all the issues- that just simply using rubbing alcohol to clean all the old adhesive from the screen below it and the digitizer that you can supposedly somehow glue that piece back on and solve all your problems.

Also, I don’t know if it said it in the description of the video but supposedly you can order a new digitizer if you have to replace yours that’s a lot cheaper than buying a new screen.

Yea I watched that video and tried it. Ended up breaking the LCD. So as corneileous advises be very careful when separating. I was trying to pry the wrong junction apart. That goo in between the digitizer and lcd is a real mess. I used a lot of paper towels and denatured alcohol to clean it out. I figured I had nothing to loose as the normal process is to replace those two parts as a unit anyway. I've sent mine in to Infotainment who charges $650 to replace the screen and run it thru tests and update as necessary. I couldn't find what looked to be a reputable place that had the part in stock to replace myself. Dealer said the same thing about either a new or rebuilt one being on backorder. As I've said on my prior soapbox post...obviously Ram/Dodge put a lot of these with this manufacturing defect out there. My neighbor told me this morning he just received a letter from Ford on his truck to come in about about a similar issue. Sounds like Ford is going down the path of doing the right thing. Anyway...good luck !

#379 ·
Hello @ramcares if you could please send me a message so that I can talk with you I am having the same problems with my 2018 Ram 2500 Bog Horn. The system will not let me send you a message because I am a new member? Not sure why that is the case but I cannot do anything about that. My truck is basically useless at the moment. My Uconnect is going haywire because of the delimitation and it keeps turning my air conditioning, radio, and other items on and off. Thanks

#380 ·
I don’t mean to butt in but if you’re still within your warranty period then just go to your local dealer and set up a replacement because if you’re out of your 3-year/36,000 mile manufacturer warranty, I don’t think Ram Cares is going to be able to be much help unless Ram trucks authorizes an extension of warranty coverage on these faulty radio screens.

#389 ·
I know you guys are new here but you really need to read through the thread.

Supposedly some dealerships apparently will work with you if you’re outside of warranty but for the most part, if you’re out of warranty and don’t have any kind of extended warranty then your only option is to replace the screen yourself or very carefully detach and reglue the digitizer on the outer face of the screen.

#390 ·
Hello everyone,

We're sorry to hear that some of you have recently noticed signs of delamination in your Uconnect touchscreens. If anyone would like us to look into additional support alongside your dealership visits, please feel free to let us know! We can certainly look into it for you.

Courtney
Ram Cares

#392 ·
Similar to many others here, I have a 2018 Dodge Ram 1500 pickup, and the same issue with the 8.4” touch screen delaminating and malfunctioning. Most of the time now, it has constant random touches to the screen and hangs up phone calls, constantly changes the HVAC, radio, etc. It has become a big problem and a hazard to drive and operate the truck as it constantly beeps and changes something. I am the original owner and have only had this truck a little over 3 years. The blue tooth function is inoperable, as it will just hang up most calls. I am reaching out for help with this issue from RAM. I see Dodge/RAM is helping some owners with this problem, even out of warranty. This is not a wear and tear item, this is a manufacturer defect and safety issue and it should be addressed.
This site will not let me send you a direct message, since I am a new member. Please help.

#396 ·
Similar issues as @GregMorris19, I have a 2018 Ram 3500 Limited with 30,500 miles; however started noticing the delamination with the 8.4” touch screen nearly 6 months ago and reached out to a dealer while in FL for help. At the time, I only had 26K miles and 3 months past the 36 month warranty period. The dealer mentioned there has been a lot of similar issues with these screens and would not be covered under warranty since it has expired. The quote they gave me to replace the screen and labor cost was $1200. It was very disappointing, and just chose to live with the bubble for the time being. Fast forward to now, the screen has worsened and has started malfunctioning with random touches to the screen, constantly changes the HVAC, radio, etc. I’ve had to disconnect Bluetooth with my phone due to the continuous calls it would randomly make. It’s very frustrating and a safety hazard to drive and operate the truck as it constantly beeps and changes something. I noticed that I’m not alone with this issue and wanted to seek help from RAM through this forum. I’ve been a Dodge Ram owner since 2009, and this is my third truck over the past 12 years. I would hope RAM would be able to cover the cost for me to replace this manufacturer defect on their 8.4” touch screen. I’m not sure how/who to send a PM to… I greatly appreciate your assistance.

#397 ·
I’m not sure how/who to send a PM to… I greatly appreciate your assistance.
Welcome to the forum BenJamin,

Comment #390 in this thread is from "ramcares", which is a RAM customer support account.

If you send them a private message with your concerns they may be able to help you work with a dealer of your choice, though from the reports I've read here on the forum, if the truck is out of warranty, only a very few people have had "goodwill" replacement screens installed at no cost from their dealer.

To send a private message to ramcares, hover over the ramcares avatar and a popup will appear. In the bottom right hand corner of that popup is a "message" tab. Click on that and you'll be taken to where you can begin a private "conversation" with ramcares.

#399 · (Edited)
My 2018 Laramie LongHorn Uconnect screen has big time delaminated approx half the screen. I'm a couple months past the 36 month factory warranty with only 17,779 miles..ok so I'm an old guy and don't drive that much. Took truck to Fowler Dodge in Oklahoma City, service advisor jumped in and verified screen was delaminated & messed up but no techs were working until next week to verify the screen is delaminated. Let's see now, the service advisor and myself see it's delaminated but need a technician to verify what we both see and I have to pay for the diagnosis of such as I'm a couple months past the 36 month factorywarranty. Ram Care's how about an updated newer replacement screen be replaced and covered under customer satisfaction concern. Attached are pics of current screen and current odometer reading.

#400 ·
My 2018 Laramie LongHorn Uconnect screen has big time delaminated approx half the screen. I'm a couple months past the 36 month factory warranty with only 17,779 miles..ok so I'm an old guy and don't drive that much. Took truck to Fowler Dodge in Oklahoma City, service advisor jumped in and verified screen was delaminated & messed up but no techs were working until next week to verify the screen is delaminated. Let's see now, the service advisor and myself see it's delaminated but need a technician to verify what we both see and I have to pay for the diagnosis of such as I'm a couple months past the 36 month factorywarranty. Ram Care's how about an updated newer replacement screen be replaced and covered under customer satisfaction concern. Attached are pics of current screen and current odometer reading.
View attachment 139684 View attachment 139685 View attachment 139686
That dealer told you a tech was needed to verify your screen was delaminated? That’s a crock of shit. And they charged you for that tech “diagnosis”? A tech wasn’t even needed when I took mine in to start the claim and it wasn’t even as bad as yours. The service writer looked at it and said yep, your screen is delaminating, let’s go start the claim and get you a new one on its way.

#401 ·
Oh I fully agree, he even tried pushing some of the buttons and nothing worked. Guess he was afraid he'd be responsible for the charges if he did it without a techs sign off. I just retired as an aircraft master mechanic 40 years, and I know a delam screen when I see one. Anyone have a good replacement part number for screen?

#402 ·
You’d just have to look on eBay and Amazon. There’s a nice detailed video on YouTube where a guy does a good job at replacing his screen. There’s also another video on there where a guy carefully peeled his digitizer- the part that’s coming delaminated and used some other adhesive to reattach it. That’s all the problem is, they used a sub-par glue that doesn’t fair well to heat and loses adhesion.

#403 ·
I just got a 2018 ram 1500 larime ecodiesel with 68k miles and noticed it has the start of the delamination and has grown over the last couple weeks. I called uconnect and they can't do anything but acknowledge it should be a recall and started a case incase there is one. When looking for how to fix the issue I have seen LG and Panasonic screens. Without disassembly how do I know what the correct display to purchase?

#405 ·
Don’t completely quote me on this but as long as whatever you find says it’s for the 8.4 Uconnect, it’ll probably work. Another thing you can do is go on YouTube and search for videos that people have posted where they’ve replaced their screen because usually in the description they’ll tell you where they went to get the replacement screen and even in the comments section of those videos will probably tell you what other people have found that worked as well.

#404 ·
I just bought a 2018 Ram 1500 Laramie from dealer. Didn't notice the screen issue until I got it home. Same issue. Upper left corner of screen is completely delaminating. But now ALSO, the screen itself is messed up. It looks like the film on the screen is wearing off. When you wipe it with a soft screen cloth, it actually gets worse. Now it looks like this patchwork of dull and shiny areas. That along with the upper left delimitation is a seriously disappointing way to start my relationship with Ram trucks - especially since this is supposed to be one of the "high-end" versions. Is this covered under any kind of warranty and can it be fixed? It's kind of ridiculous for a truck with 36k miles on it.

#406 ·
So have you gone back to the dealer and talk to them about it since you just bought this truck or did you come on here first? Being that you just bought it, they’ll probably work something out with you. Did you not buy the truck with any kind of an extended warranty?

#407 ·
So the replacement screens are practically non existent except for the OEM SL01's which will in all likelihood delaminate just as well. Sent RamCares a message 2 days ago along with pretty color pics of my delaminated screen, but haven't heard a word from them...so we'll see.

#409 ·
i just purchased a 2018 Ram Laramie 1500 from Cleveland Ohio. I flew there one way and drove the vehicle 14hours straight to fargo North Dakota. Everything was great however, the next day when I went to show my family the vehicle after I awoke from catching up on sleep delamination was observed beginning on the top left of the screen. In a matter of 24 hours now it’s gotten worse. I’ve never seen anything like this. Love the pickup completely baffled that something like this would happen.
I purchased the vehicle used (impossible to get a new vehicle right now) with 49500 miles on it. Ram please make this right. Please contact me…

#410 ·
2018 Ram 1500 Laramie LongHorn, 17,800 miles, 4 months past the 36/36 warranty. Just received a call from Chrysler, they verified the diagnosis of my delaminated uconnect screen with ghosting, and they are going to replace my uconnect radio free of charge through my local dealership :). Received fantastic assistance from RamCares in resolving this issue. I sent Pictures of my screen and odometer verifying all to RamCares, so that may have also helped, but not sure.

#411 ·
To be honest, I’m not really sure what worked in your case but I’m glad they’re going to help you out because there’s been a lot of people who’ve said they haven’t been that far out of their warranty like you yet are being told they’re SOL.

You don’t by any chance have any kind of extended warranty, do you? As I mentioned before, when I had to have my radio replaced, they still insisted on charging me the $100 deductible for my Mopar MVP maxcare lifetime warranty even though number one, this is a known issue that’s happening to a lot of people and number two, I still don’t even have 36,000 miles on my truck but I was about 5 months past the three-year part of the factory warranty. But then again, I guess I really can’t use my experience because who knows what would have been different if I didn’t have the lifetime warranty. I guess they could’ve worked with me and I suppose they also could’ve told me it would be on my dime. We’ll just never know.

#412 ·
My radio is starting to delaminate and its barely 3 years old and only out of the warranty because of mileage and the dealership that i purchased it from told me the only option was to have them install and program a new one. How has there not been a recall for this since these radios run a major portion of the truck?

#414 ·
My radio is starting to delaminate and its barely 3 years old and only out of the warranty because of mileage and the dealership that i purchased it from told me the only option was to have them install and program a new one. How has there not been a recall for this since these radios run a major portion of the truck?
Usually recalls only have to do with safety and are forced by the government but considering that this problem can create a safety hazard when the screen gets bad enough to the point that it starts making the screen ghost-press stuff and other functions, that could be quite a distraction that it creates so it pretty much constitutes as a safety thing when the delamination gets to a certain point.

#416 ·
Does anyone have a list of the head unit's part # that is compatible with the LG screen?
Apparently, there is multiple versions where LG were not used.
I can't pull the radio apart because the truck is in my farm overseas, and I want to take the part with me and replace it.
My radio unit has the following part number: 68331634AH -

Thank you in advance,

#423 · (Edited)
Has anyone heard of a recall or service bulletin for UConnect issues? I have a 2018 1500 Sport with 42,XXX miles and the screen is starting to delaminate. Dealer said since out of warranty, repair would be $1200. I am meticulous with my truck and the screen looks horrible. Besides the delamination, the whole system freezes up about once a day. The only way it resets is if I turn the vehicle off and on. I love my truck, but Ram’s quality control is atrocious.

@ramcares

#424 ·
has anyone heard of a recall or service bulletin for UConnect issues? I have an 2018 1500 Sport with 36,XXX miles and the screen is starting to delaminate. Dealer said since out of warranty, repair would be $1200. I am meticulous with my truck and the screen looks horrible. Besides the delamination, the whole system freezes up about once a day. The only way it resets is if I turn the vehicle off and on. I love my truck, but Ram’s quality control is atrocious.

@ramcares
No offense but just because of a faulty glue that they did address with the newer radios, their quality control is atrocious? If it takes generally three years for the screen delam to rear it’s ugly head then how can you say it’s a quality control issue?

But there is no service bulletin or a recall on this issue and if your dealer can’t somehow finagle Chrysler to buy you a new radio then your only options is to pay to have it replaced, go to infotainment.com and look into their repair service or look around on the net for a replacement screen and fix it yourself.