DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I have a 1500 and a 3500 6.7 Dually, the 3500 is a mega cab and I tow a 30 ft ultra lite 5th wheel it, great for towing but the ride as a daily drive is not good, the 1500 is like a limo in comparison.
My question please if I can get a 2500 mega cab is the ride better than the 3500 and would a hemi pull the van?
Difficult to get answers here.
Thank again

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
Yes, in fact, why do you need a 2500 to tow a 30' trailer? I tow a heavy 32' fifth wheel with my old 2005 1500 hemi. Trailer weighs over 10,000 lbs. The new "392" hemis have a lot of nuts. Friend of mine traded his 5500 Cummins car carrier for a new 5500 with the 392 and sings it's praises, says it gets same mpg! Now if Ram would offer the 392 in the half tons...:smileup:

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Hi
I have a 1500 and a 3500 6.7 Dually, the 3500 is a mega cab and I tow a 30 ft ultra lite 5th wheel it, great for towing but the ride as a daily drive is not good, the 1500 is like a limo in comparison.
My question please if I can get a 2500 mega cab is the ride better than the 3500 and would a hemi pull the van?
Thank again
I've looked into what your discussing with the very stiff ride with the 3500 when its empty vs loaded, there are a couple different forums where this was a big topic. I know a few have removed the large flat overload spring at the bottom of the stack and then added an airlift system so they didn't lose their hauling capacity. I've done somewhat the same, I don't use my truck at all near the capacity so I cut the overload spring using an angle grinder and cutting wheel while still on the truck, I took my time so I didn't cut into the next spring and it worked very well. I chose this instead of removing the spring so I wouldn't have the hassle of un-bolting the whole stack to remove it. In essence what's left of my overload is still in the stack acting like a spacer and my truck still sits the same height. I can tell you that the harsh ride has most definitely gotten better.

http://www.ramforumz.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60298&stc=1&d=1463010427
I might even cut more off to the edge of the rest of the stack, I'm sure that will further improve the ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Hi
Thank again
yes, a 2500 will ride so much better than a 3500. Yes, a RAM 5.7L Hemi, reg cab, long box 4x2, 8 speed tranny and 3:92 rear end will probably pull your trailer just fine, payload might be an issue, depending on tongue weght. would ned further , on teh trailer, to dial it in.

25000 will pull it, all day, up hill, in a hurricaine.

You have no need for a 3500 tow vehicle, England ain't that big.
Texas to North Dakota to Maine, yes, a 3500 would be much more enjoyable tow rig. Aroudn ENlgalnd or Central USA, 2500 is plenty.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
yes, a 2500 will ride so much better than a 3500. Yes, a RAM 5.7L Hemi, reg cab, long box 4x2, 8 speed tranny and 3:92 rear end will probably pull your trailer just fine, payload might be an issue, depending on tongue weght. would ned further , on teh trailer, to dial it in.

25000 will pull it, all day, up hill, in a hurricaine.

You have no need for a 3500 tow vehicle, England ain't that big.
Texas to North Dakota to Maine, yes, a 3500 would be much more enjoyable tow rig. Aroudn ENlgalnd or Central USA, 2500 is plenty.
Don't agree with that, he'll more than likely runout of payload with just the pin weight of his trailer hooked to a 2500, before anyone is even in the truck.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Don't agree with that, he'll more than likely runout of payload with just the pin weight of his trailer hooked to a 2500, before anyone is even in the truck.
Payload on my 4x4 crew cab 1500 is over 1400lbs. How does a 30ft utlra light trailer go over that, yet alone, the payload rating of a 2500 series truck?

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Payload on my 4x4 crew cab 1500 is over 1400lbs. How does a 30ft utlra light trailer go over that, yet alone, the payload rating of a 2500 series truck?[/QUOTE

I don't know, as an example, let's say the trailer is 8000#, is that light for a 30ft 5th wheel?, haven't shopped for one, probably close I would think. I think 20% of most 5th wheel empty weights compute to the pin weight as a rule give or take. 20% of 8000 is 1600lbs, so a 1/2 ton isn't even close to being in the running, now load up the trailer with gear, then throw in people in the truck, you might be totally maxed out if not over with a 3/4 ton. How is a one ton too much truck? The OP's original concern was the stiff ride when empty, I suggested what others have done by removing the flat overload spring and installing air bags so he wouldn't lose carrying capacity, this way he has a reasonable ride when empty.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
7-15% tongue weight is ideal.
BVall height of 17-19" is norm.

Always exception but those are the rules.

30' Ultra lights run about 6k pounds, give or take. some higher, some lower.
10% tongue weight makes that 600lbs. as mentioned in my earlier post, on a 1500 payload would be a consideration but doable. 2500 payload is usually over 2600lobs. Even an 8k trailer at 15% is onlly 1200 obs.

3500 is best used, hauling heavy weights, long distances, for hours at a time, days on end. SIngle axle 3500 is basically a waste. GUy lives in ENgland. for that trailer, I see no need for a 3500 in that country.

Of course, what the hell do I know? I'm just a 3rd Generation RR Engr, almost 30 yrrs now, who hauls trains up to 3 miles long and weights up to 25,000K tons. Being a 6000 HP Locomotive Throttle Jockey, I would not know anything about Grades, HP to tonnage, Buff Forces, Draft Forces, etc.

Carry on, I;m done with this.

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
7-15% tongue weight is ideal.
BVall height of 17-19" is norm.

Always exception but those are the rules.

30' Ultra lights run about 6k pounds, give or take. some higher, some lower.
10% tongue weight makes that 600lbs. as mentioned in my earlier post, on a 1500 payload would be a consideration but doable. 2500 payload is usually over 2600lobs. Even an 8k trailer at 15% is onlly 1200 obs.

3500 is best used, hauling heavy weights, long distances, for hours at a time, days on end. SIngle axle 3500 is basically a waste. GUy lives in ENgland. for that trailer, I see no need for a 3500 in that country.

Of course, what the hell do I know? I'm just a 3rd Generation RR Engr, almost 30 yrrs now, who hauls trains up to 3 miles long and weights up to 25,000K tons. Being a 6000 HP Locomotive Throttle Jockey, I would not know anything about Grades, HP to tonnage, Buff Forces, Draft Forces, etc.

Carry on, I;m done with this.
Well don't beat up on yourself, I simply suggested an avenue for the fella to make his life easier, but what do I know, I only drove highway trucks, tandem, tri axle , A and B trains for 12 years before flying airplanes for 20 years now. I'm fairly qualified myself. :box2::box2:now:gy:: :LOL: Don't take offence so easy. I wasn't entering a pissing match with you. I'm pretty well versed in "balancing" loads as well. Besides, we are talking about 5th wheel trailers, those numbers you mentioned are more in line with bumper pull travel trailers.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've looked into what your discussing with the very stiff ride with the 3500 when its empty vs loaded, there are a couple different forums where this was a big topic. I know a few have removed the large flat overload spring at the bottom of the stack and then added an airlift system so they didn't lose their hauling capacity. I've done somewhat the same, I don't use my truck at all near the capacity so I cut the overload spring using an angle grinder and cutting wheel while still on the truck, I took my time so I didn't cut into the next spring and it worked very well. I chose this instead of removing the spring so I wouldn't have the hassle of un-bolting the whole stack to remove it. In essence what's left of my overload is still in the stack acting like a spacer and my truck still sits the same height. I can tell you that the harsh ride has most definitely gotten better.

http://www.ramforumz.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=60298&stc=1&d=1463010427
I might even cut more off to the edge of the rest of the stack, I'm sure that will further improve the ride.

Thank you for the information, did cutting this make such a difference?, this seems to me the best solution for me.
Would you have any idea what it would make to the loading capacity or towing?.

Thanks again for your time

·
Premium Member
1,074 Posts
Thank you for the information, did cutting this make such a difference?, this seems to me the best solution for me.
Would you have any idea what it would make to the loading capacity or towing?.

Thanks again for your time
Yes, cutting the flat overload spring made a big difference, it's still a firm suspension but it takes out the jarring hits of bumps and cracks in the road. This will reduce your payload capacity but I know a lot of guys have gone this route and then added an airbag system like the airlift 5000. For me it was a cheap upgrade because I will never need the full capacity so it might cost you some money to add the airbags to gain the payload capacity back but then when you don't need the load capacity you can at least enjoy a reasonable ride when empty.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes, cutting the flat overload spring made a big difference, it's still a firm suspension but it takes out the jarring hits of bumps and cracks in the road. This will reduce your payload capacity but I know a lot of guys have gone this route and then added an airbag system like the airlift 5000. For me it was a cheap upgrade because I will never need the full capacity so it might cost you some money to add the airbags to gain the payload capacity back but then when you don't need the load capacity you can at least enjoy a reasonable ride when empty.
Your response makes good sense to me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts