DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
241 Posts
Thats the MDS system when the engine reverts to gravity power and shuts down all 8 cylinders

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Yours is not legit.

Mine is.

Below's what I snapped after pulling into my driveway from recent 200-mile or so trip.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yours is not legit.

Mine is.

Below's what I snapped after pulling into my driveway from recent 200-mile or so trip.

You must have been driving like a grandma, totally flat area, a tailwind, a/c off, no passengers, no cargo, a sail on the roof, and over inflated tires.

Just kidding man, that's good gas mileage. The best I could get on my 1k trip to FL was ~16 going 10 miles over the speed limit. Most of the average killed by going through the Virginias. What I found out is that if you stick to 70 and below...gas mileage improves drastically.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Never trust the EVIC MPG reading. It will probably be 1-2 mpg off the actual calculation you can do at the pump when you fill it up.

I was able to get 18.5mpg on my 2011 Ram Hemi while pulling a 2000lb tent trailer and 2 mountain bikes. This was on a 300 mile trip to Palo Duro Canyon, TX.

Darin

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Never trust the EVIC MPG reading. It will probably be 1-2 mpg off the actual calculation you can do at the pump when you fill it up.

I was able to get 18.5mpg on my 2011 Ram Hemi while pulling a 2000lb tent trailer and 2 mountain bikes. This was on a 300 mile trip to Palo Duro Canyon, TX.

Darin
True.

However, I think you're being a little kind.

Depending on who's preaching, accuracy on the reading of your Electronic Vehicle Information Center has a plus-minus accuracey of up to 5MPG.... that's a very significant difference to what you're seeing on your instrument cluster.

The EVIC is nothing more than "rough estimate" at best.

Either, as Darin said, calculate your MPG [number of miles accumulated on your trip odometer divided by the number of gallons of fuel inputed] manually, or, if you're that concerned, purchase a quality aftermarket MPG guage.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I hand calculate my mileage every time I top off or fill up my tank. So far my EVIC has been between .1 & .2 everytime. That is about 6 different tests.

·
Registered
4,226 Posts
Mine is often 2-3 MPG's off.

·
Registered
115 Posts
There are so many variables affecting actual MPGs, you'd almost have to have a "Driving Conditions" checklist to really know how your Ram is doing. I usually get in the 15-16 mpg range in town when driving normally, and on the hwy, 18-19.

But there was one trip I took from Hutchinson Ks to KCK, all interstate at 55 mpg that I got a hand calculated 25.1 mpg. The evic showed a little over 26 mpg.

The low speed helped a lot, and I had a bit of tailwind helping the entire way too. Wind is the biggest killer (or benefactor) of miles per gallon, in my opinion.

·
Registered
19 Posts
2012 longhorn, I agree, 70 MPH seems to be the magic number. At 70 i can get just over 19 MPG. But bump her up to 72 and it drops the MPG pretty quick

·
Registered
137 Posts
Keep in mind that different gas pumps will stop the flow sooner than others. So unless you are filling up at the same pump everytime, you are not necessarily filling up to the same point in the tank.

The lower the level in the tank when you fill up the more accurate it will be because that discrepancy will make up a lesser and lesser percent. If you only drive 50 miles then fill up at a different station, your hand calc's could be off themselves.

For what it's worth I fill up at the same station and mostly the same pump everytime, and my evic is within .2 mpg of hand calc everytime if I reset it when I fill.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts