DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a `99 ram 1500 sport, the only mod i have done to it is the TB mod and im burning through gas at an alarming rate. i set the trip last time i filled up and i have gone about 20 miles n burned through about 1/4 tank of gas! when i go to my average fuel economy it shows 6.7 MPG!! can anybody explain/give me some tips or something to improve this? i have really babied it especially since i filled up

·
Registered
21,490 Posts
Check all your vacuum lines . Back in February when we had several blizzards , I was down to 7.6 mpg . This past June I did a water pump , all new heater hoses , thermostat , coolant change out and found several vacuum hoses that were leaking . They go right to the throttle body where the map sensor is . Pretty critical . The biggest leak was the hard plastic line from the throttle body to the firewall around to the r/f fender . That line had several leaking hoses . Heres a pic of the line with the hose being replaced . Follow that same line around to the r/f fender and I'll quarantee ya you'll find another leak .

Attachments

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think the gasket on the intake is blown too, the plenum gasket? if anyone has a write up on changing that out it would be much appreciated

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
how much did fixing the vacuum leaks effect the gas mileage? also on a side note, i know this is a lil off topic, but is there any way to check if my computer is throwing codes? one of my friends told me to check the codes for problems but im not sure how to do so

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
how much did fixing the vacuum leaks effect the gas mileage? also on a side note, i know this is a lil off topic, but is there any way to check if my computer is throwing codes? one of my friends told me to check the codes for problems but im not sure how to do so
You would need a scanner, most shops should have one. We have one at school. It reads the codes, and you can delete the codes. It plugs in to the OBDI port.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Yep, do the key dance. 3x on/off, leave to on and read the flashing "check engine" light and count or read the numbers in the digital OD.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Ive got a leak from the manifold to the left fender. Any ideas on what to use to replace that?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive got a leak from the manifold to the left fender. Any ideas on what to use to replace that?
Replace what the fender or the manifold? :LOL:

Anyways, start a new thread, you will get a better response. :smileup:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts