DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Starting to look into buying an undercoat product to do the underneath and wheel wells of my 2014 Ram 2500 before salt season is upon us here in the Northeast. Wondering if anyone has experience with asphalt based products as opposed to rubberized products?

I used a rubber based aerosol spray on my 2007 1500 and it barely lasted through one full winter before it started to flake and chip away. A longtime Chevy owner that I work with said he uses a thicker asphalt based undercoating (comes in a 5 gallon paint can) and mixes it 2/3 to 1/3 parts cleaner before spraying it on with a paint gun (obviously with the screen removed) and it holds up years longer than any rubberized product he's tried.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on specific products, I want to do the work myself, not interested in taking it to a shop to be done, so the product would have to be consumer accessible online or in-store.

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Starting to look into buying an undercoat product to do the underneath and wheel wells of my 2014 Ram 2500 before salt season is upon us here in the Northeast. Wondering if anyone has experience with asphalt based products as opposed to rubberized products?

I used a rubber based aerosol spray on my 2007 1500 and it barely lasted through one full winter before it started to flake and chip away. A longtime Chevy owner that I work with said he uses a thicker asphalt based undercoating (comes in a 5 gallon paint can) and mixes it 2/3 to 1/3 parts cleaner before spraying it on with a paint gun (obviously with the screen removed) and it holds up years longer than any rubberized product he's tried.

Wondering if anyone has suggestions on specific products, I want to do the work myself, not interested in taking it to a shop to be done, so the product would have to be consumer accessible online or in-store.
I would not put a rubberized product on, it will not adhere properly unless it`s a brand new truck. The problem with rubberized or asphalt coatings, they crack and chip and moisture will get in behind it. I got Krown done on mine right after I bought the truck.
I would spray an oil base product (fluid film is a good product). Unless you use an oil base product, it will not seep into all the crevices specially rockers, bottom of doors, tailgate.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the responses guys, I'm definitely going to avoid the rubberized stuff. I did look at fluid film at Lowe's today, not sure how I feel about the waxiness of it, seemed kind of thin to me. Any thoughts on a polyurethane coating? Something like a spray on bedliner material?

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Anything hard can get chips/crack in it & then rust will develop from there.

Any of the oil style spray on products will do a much better job. They're more messy in some cases but far superior for protection. By oil I mean Rustcheck, Krown, CorrosionFree & this Fluidfilm that is so popular in the States.

If you have Corrosion Free dealers in the States, have a look at them. The stuff is awesome & drips far less than Rustcheck & Krown.

https://corrosionfree.com/

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Anything hard can get chips/crack in it & then rust will develop from there.

Any of the oil style spray on products will do a much better job. They're more messy in some cases but far superior for protection. By oil I mean Rustcheck, Krown, CorrosionFree & this Fluidfilm that is so popular in the States.

If you have Corrosion Free dealers in the States, have a look at them. The stuff is awesome & drips far less than Rustcheck & Krown.

https://corrosionfree.com/
Thanks for the info, I ended up buying Fluid Film and an oil based spray-in bedliner. Planning to use a combination of the two, Fluid Film in the areas that get the most action and the bedliner mainly on the painted underside of the bed and inside the panels.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I just had my 2017 sprayed by "Pro Fleet". Its a thin and a thick oil spray. A friend of mine bought a "Pro Fleet" franchise. The truck dripped for 2 days. I cannot see that any undercoating will hold up as well as getting it sprayed every year. My neighbor does his every other year and the thick oil is still hanging on. He gets in behind every metal panel, in the rockers on both sides of the reinforcing that there. He pulls the tail lights. Sprays every seam. Smells good for several days also.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts