DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so i'm getting an intake for my truck and i think i'm gonna do a major cleaning on the engine bay when I install it. What do you guys use to clean everything? Any specific products that make it really look good? thanks for any input.

·
Registered
3,666 Posts
I have been using the meguirs interior detailing wipes on the underhood before shows, that way i'm not soaking everything with water and it still looks clean.

·
Registered
17,710 Posts
I start with a cool engine bay, spray everything down with simple green, I'll use almost a full spray bottle each time, then using a pressure washer (not using full pressure, just the amount that comes out when idling) I'll rinse down the entire interior of the engine bay. I'll hit the underside of the hood, rad, and lower engine bay with full pressure, but everything else is done with the idle pressure.

Once everything's rinsed and degreased with the simple green I go to town with the Mother's interior detailer on all the hoses, plastic surfaces, and fire wall. I'll then wipe down most of the excess from the detailer and run the engine for 10 min to warm everything up and dry out the engine bay. I'll normally only have to give the engine bay a quick dusting when I get to the show and all the plastic, hoses, and billet stuff looks great.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I'd be careful around electrical components (alternator, coils, harnesses, etc) with water and would avoid high pressure hose unless you're certain you can avoid electrical components. If you have stubborn grime, there are long handles soft brushes available (I get them at Walmart) to scrub with. In addition to interior wipes, I've used foaming tire cleaner on plastic and rubber components with good results... works well in hard to reach areas too.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts