DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was puttting running boards on my 2012 big horn c/c 4x4 and there are 2 "donuts" about 3" around and 2" deep bolted back to back on a bracket on the frame rail about midway under the cab. They are rust colored and rough surfaced. I noticed some on the bed or body mounts also I think . What are these and why are they mounted by themselves on the frame?

Just really wondering what they are.:4-dontknow:

thanks applebutter

·
Registered
57 Posts
I noticed the same thing and was wondering what they are for. hopefully someone will answer this thread ive got a couple guys i work with that are also wondering.

·
Some Assembly Required
7,205 Posts
They are counterweights, designed to reduce NVH-Noise, Vibration and Harshness. Dodge went to ALOT of meticulous trouble to make the 4thg gen ram as smooth as possible.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
They are thing-a-ma-jigs that are supposed to be there...I think. LOL

·
Registered
168 Posts
Thanks for the answer! Also, thank you so much for your service to this country. I salute you sir!

They are counterweights, designed to reduce NVH-Noise, Vibration and Harshness. Dodge went to ALOT of meticulous trouble to make the 4thg gen ram as smooth as possible.

·
Registered
22 Posts
ArmyOfOne got it, they are to reduce harmonic vibrations through the chassis....had 'em on my Xterra, took 'em off and it was actually a noticeable difference

·
Premium Member
32,782 Posts
Sometimes you will also find them hanging on your exhaust, mostly on the 2500 & 3500 models

Those people who FEEL a movement with the brake or gas pedal, may find that IF they had those weights/vibration dampners, the FEELING may go away

1 - 7 of 7 Posts