DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to do that? Wondering with the 2019. My concern is at this point, I cannot make a spare key to gain access to truck in case I happen to leave the fob inside it.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
If you have the u-connect active you can do it, but you have to be in a strong signal area. I live in the country and it did not work for me one time as the signal was not strong enough. You should also be able to make a key using the key in the fob (that is if you have the key in the fob. My '17 has an emergency key it the top of the fob with a little button that you slide to get it out.)

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you have the u-connect active you can do it, but you have to be in a strong signal area. I live in the country and it did not work for me one time as the signal was not strong enough. You should also be able to make a key using the key in the fob (that is if you have the key in the fob. My '17 has an emergency key it the top of the fob with a little button that you slide to get it out.)
Yes, have the key in the Fob and we did that with wife's Dodge Grand Caravan. They now have new systems at wal-mart and Ace Hardware that do not seem to be able to work with the new Fob key. The Ace Hardware guy told me they had no blanks for it.
Did you have to download Uconnect from Google Play?

·
Registered
226 Posts
As long as the profile for the KEY part matches who cares what the handle looks like. I have a spare made for my 2016 Ram from lowes. It will not fit the fob.

·
Registered
115 Posts
UConnect is preloaded on the truck. You just have to set up the account.
Hit the app screen to set up the app from the truck or go online to UConnect. (If you do so in the truck, you can have it call an operator to assist in setting it up and will also guide you through installing on the phone.)
Download the Uconnect App (The "Blue" one is the latest edition) on your phone from Google Play, install, log in with your created account, and you'll see a screen with options to start/stop engine, blink lights, blow horn, etc.

I use it all the time when heading to truck on airport shuttle after it has been sitting in the lot. Nice and cool when the shuttle pulls up to it.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
You are still in the Free Trial Period

https://www.driveuconnect.com/uconnectaccess.html

The recently launched revamp of Uconnect is a digital hub that vastly improves on prior generations. But it costs $20 per month after a free one-year trial.
A Wi-Fi hotspot option costs $10 per day, $20 per week, or $35 per month

·
Registered
323 Posts
Can’t speak on the ‘19, but I’ve left my fob in my truck, pushed the lock on the door to lock and shut the door. It unlocked the door when I closed it. So, I wasn’t able to lock them inside by mistake. But, weird situations do occur and I have a spare key hidden to unlock the door just in case.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Can’t speak on the ‘19, but I’ve left my fob in my truck, pushed the lock on the door to lock and shut the door. It unlocked the door when I closed it. So, I wasn’t able to lock them inside by mistake. But, weird situations do occur and I have a spare key hidden to unlock the door just in case.
There's a way around it on the 17's - i think you have to attempt that 3 times. I forget the actual procedure - dealership told me when they were going to lock my keys in my truck so i could pick it up after hours.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Keep in mind. If you can unlock your truck with your phone...so can somebody else. Don't make it easier for someone to break in.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As long as the profile for the KEY part matches who cares what the handle looks like. I have a spare made for my 2016 Ram from lowes. It will not fit the fob.
Yes, that is what we did with the wife's caravan. We will try and press Ace Hardware a bit more, if not, next time we go to Lowes.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UConnect is preloaded on the truck. You just have to set up the account.
Hit the app screen to set up the app from the truck or go online to UConnect. (If you do so in the truck, you can have it call an operator to assist in setting it up and will also guide you through installing on the phone.)
Download the Uconnect App (The "Blue" one is the latest edition) on your phone from Google Play, install, log in with your created account, and you'll see a screen with options to start/stop engine, blink lights, blow horn, etc.

I use it all the time when heading to truck on airport shuttle after it has been sitting in the lot. Nice and cool when the shuttle pulls up to it.
Aware of that, but isn't it just a trail and something you have to pay for to continue using some of the aspects of Uconnect?

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You are still in the Free Trial Period

https://www.driveuconnect.com/uconnectaccess.html

The recently launched revamp of Uconnect is a digital hub that vastly improves on prior generations. But it costs $20 per month after a free one-year trial.
A Wi-Fi hotspot option costs $10 per day, $20 per week, or $35 per month
That's what I thought, but will give the trial a chance and see what else I might want that Uconnect does.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Understand that also, but will opt for the spare key before I go the phone route.
Good move. Based on how easy the RF signal from the fob is to steal, any time I'm in a place with other people, I use my FOB that has no battery and access the truck with the hard-key.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Depending on what model year you have, might require download of a different app.

Uconnect is still the interface, but providers for the app and "connected services" changed in 2018.

Pre 2018, UConnect was powered by Sprint (ugh, horrible horrible) otherwise known as UCONNECT ACCESS.

2018 and up, UConnect is powered by AT&T and Siruis Guardian.

If you have a 2018 and up, you have to download the Uconnect/Sirius Guardian version of the app to be able to do remote services (unlock, lock, remote start (if equipped), and horn flash/light flash.

The Current version of the APP if you have an 18 or higher is 3.1.9. (for an Android from the play store). I am not an Apple person, so can't help ya there.

3.1.9 will also diag info.

in an 18 and up, you will have to maintain a subscription to Sirius Guardian to be able to maintain door unlock, etc. capabilities.

you will have to maintain a subscription with AT&T for the hotspot function to work. currently $20 a month for unlimited connected car hotspot data.

P.S. you have to enter your PIN # you created everytime you do any remote commands for security.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Depending on what model year you have, might require download of a different app.

Uconnect is still the interface, but providers for the app and "connected services" changed in 2018.

Pre 2018, UConnect was powered by Sprint (ugh, horrible horrible) otherwise known as UCONNECT ACCESS.

2018 and up, UConnect is powered by AT&T and Siruis Guardian.

If you have a 2018 and up, you have to download the Uconnect/Sirius Guardian version of the app to be able to do remote services (unlock, lock, remote start (if equipped), and horn flash/light flash.

The Current version of the APP if you have an 18 or higher is 3.1.9. (for an Android from the play store). I am not an Apple person, so can't help ya there.

3.1.9 will also diag info.

in an 18 and up, you will have to maintain a subscription to Sirius Guardian to be able to maintain door unlock, etc. capabilities.

you will have to maintain a subscription with AT&T for the hotspot function to work. currently $20 a month for unlimited connected car hotspot data.

P.S. you have to enter your PIN # you created everytime you do any remote commands for security.
Good to know as AT&T pretty much stinks around here

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was able to make a key today at Ace Hardware. This guy took the time to match it up with blanks they had when other employee didn't want to mess with it because the last dated blank they had was 2009. Tried it out and it worked fine unlocking vehicle although when i opened it the first time, the horn started blaring. Turned it off with the Fob. Tried it again and it no longer sound the alarm.

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I was able to make a key today at Ace Hardware. This guy took the time to match it up with blanks they had when other employee didn't want to mess with it because the last dated blank they had was 2009. Tried it out and it worked fine unlocking vehicle although when i opened it the first time, the horn started blaring. Turned it off with the Fob. Tried it again and it no longer sound the alarm.
Good deal. Never hurts to have a spare key. I've tested my luck a few times when going to pools, bike rides and stuff where I don't want to take my keys and risk losing them. I have an Apple Watch with the UConnect service. I've unlocked and started my truck a few times with it. Takes a few mins, but it works every time. My buddies say I'm like Michael Knight, just with a Ram 1500 and not a 1980's Trans Am. :LOL:

·
Premium Member
2013 RAM Laramie Crew Cab
3,454 Posts
I use the uconnect app to start my truck when its hot like its been all week. Works great. I'm not worried about somebody stealing my signal or whatever. If my truck gets stolen which it won't I'll get another one.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts