DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Would unplugging the tail gate interfere with the door locking or alarm system. I have a 17 1500 and am not having a problem. However, I have a roll top bed cover and often keep items in the bed. I would just as soon have the tailgate locked at all times.
Thanks!

·
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member
3,247 Posts
I'm not certain, but I wonder if this would have any affect on the backup camera?

I can see your reasoning though. I'm sure there's a way to override it by unplugging something, just not sure exactly what. Hopefully someone will come along who knows about this.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
funny you guys are talking about this i unplugged mine and locked it i have no problems with other door locks, i was at dealer today for recall updates one for cruise control other for dial shifter alls good there is recall now for tailgate but they did not have the parts in of cource i have to go back now next month so they said also made them look at my radio satelite radio cuts out a lot but of cource they cant find anything wrong.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
If you unplug the tailgate from the bottom of the tailgate
You should still be able to manually lock the tailgate with the Valet Key inside of your FOB

I have not looked at my 2016 Ram 1500 to see if the tailgate handle camera has a separate pigtail or not :4-dontknow:

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
yes GT thats what i did and the other pig tail i left and yes my backup camera works so all is good if anyone else is gonna disconect it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
TruBlu
You set me to thinking. I unplugged the big pigtail and every thing worked except the tail gate lock. After reading ur post, I thought crap, I never thought about the back up camera. I went out and tried it and no backup camera.
Opened her up again and plugged the connection back in. Saw the gate lock actuator and unplugged the small pigtail that plugged in to the lock actuator. About a 2 minute job. All's good.
Thanks for the responses!:wavey:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts