DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok for those who are interested, here's a run down on the progress so far.

I've installed the electric window armatures. They're a little clunky at one point in the movement, nothing serious but I can't see exactly why. Maybe it's cause they're from a 95, but I can live with it - might get hold of a 99 set at some point.

After market power lock solenoids mounted and work fine on test wiring. I mounted them down at the bottom of the door, so they're out the way of window mechanism and though I had to bend the actuator arm into a odd Z shape - they're good to go.

I have done all requisite soldering and wire extension for both the windows and locks. Hardest part was tapping the live feeds from the correct fuses/circuit breakers. Turns out the live feeds are there even though locks and windows didn't come with the truck. The feeds disappeared off into the loom up behind the dash, I would assume to a lonely and unused connector block I could have connected to. But given what an utter nightmare it was to get up there and do anything without removing the entire dash - I simply traced the wires from the fuse block to where they vanished into the loom and snipped them there and soldered my feeds at that point. Getting to the plugs at the back of the fuse block out was tough - really tough, but I got it done eventually.

Everything has been removed from the front of the dash, including p/s airbag -scary stuff!!!! I wanted to get the front plastic off the dash but can't work out how to do it, but with everything removed I have enough space behind the dash to route my window/lock wires through the conduit I bought and safely behind the dash.

Today will be spent installing the actual alarm. It was tough deciding where to mount the module - despite being a big truck, there is surprisingly little space behind/under the dash to mount it without allowing easy access to a crook - up under the steering column is a no no for me, because that's just too easy access. I have found a space behind the middle of the dash that works and allows all the wiring to reach everything and that will only be a 15/20 minute job to replace alarm fuses should they blow.

So alarm install today, then I'll be installing the harness I have put together for the windows/locks and then it's just a case of testing the alarm system and then putting all the dash components back in and getting my truck back on the road.

This job has taken WAY longer than I anticipated. A lot of that is down to my insistence of checking, double checking and triple checking every connection, switch, wire route - the whole 9 yards. Constantly temp wiring things up, checking they work, then stripping down again has taken a lot of time but I'd rather I find issues BEFORE it's all installed and finished.

I am taking photos as I go and will, as promised, put together a photo journal of the whole job for those who want to see it.

I think I may be writing the post to postpone the inevitable long day I have ahead of me today lol Am hoping I get it all finished today. Wish me luck!!!!

·
Administrator
2008 RAM 1500 ST 3.7L Magnum V6 PS2
53,842 Posts
Sounds like you're making good progress with it, nice job so far! Looking forward to the pics! :smileup:

- Cajun

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
sounds pretty cool...and, I'd like to get an aftermarket power lock remote thing for my truck...

but, why oh why install a "not" factory alarm? Everyone I've ever had/seen after a few years gives nothing but trouble...especially if its one of the ones that interupts the starter. The one in my truck was cool when I got it...would interupt the starter if it went off, had the remote to disable it and remote locks, starter, and all. Started going bad and would start going off for no reason, and, sometimes the remote wouldn't disable it, and, it was a $400 alarm system according to the booklet in the glovebox.

If somebody wants my truck bad enough that I have to go through all that...they can have it. (luckily, I was able to rewire it out of the system)...

But...to be honest, install a good old fashioned kill switch under the dash. If someone is stealing your truck, they're not going to spend much time looking for a switch...so, they'd go on to another vehicle.

·
Registered
3,466 Posts
sounds good. I feel your pain as far as checking and rechecking... been there and done that

Exco

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey there, sounds like you know what your doing.. I thinking of attempting a process like this how did your turn out?

~Mike :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
any updates? wanna do the locks myself, but am not going to be doing the alarm.

could you post a link to what lock/keyless kit you used?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Long time coming.

Hey folks, been away for a long time due to work commitments, so I thought I'd update you all on the wiring job.
Sadly, during my time away I suffered a dreaded hard drive death, which meant all the pics I'd taken of the job I lost. Sorry about that, but if you close your eyes real hard you may be able to imagine what I'm talking about ha ha ha ha.

It's been over a year I think since I did the job and I've not had a moments problem with the work I've done. Everything still works, the alarm still works - I've had no issues that I know are common with after market alarms.

Overall the job took a lot longer than I anticipated, but it was worth the extra time to not not set my truck on fire!!!
In the long term, for the central locking, I didn't run through the BCM which would have locked the doors above 15mph - I just decided that risking tapping into it and getting the wrong connection wasn't worth the risk and hassle of replacing the BCM had I mangled it. So instead, I wired the central locking through the alarm, following the instructions in the alarm booklet and diagrams. So now, my doors lock when I turn the ignition on and unlock when I turn it off which suits me fine.

Only slight niggle I have is the drivers side lock button that comes through the top of the door panel occasionally gets wedged. I assume this is from a combination of pressure applied to it from way I had to bend the armature from the solenoid and humidity/weather conditions. In these cases I just pop the key in the door and unlock it. It's an intermittent issue and doesn't happen often enough to make it worth stripping off the door panel and fixing it.
The door panels I got from the 95 model truck fitted without issues, which I'm rather relieved about.

I used after market door solenoids, and switches from a 95 donor truck. Turns out the wiring loom on the 95 and the 99 are NOT the same, so a little study of the schematics for both models and it wasn't hard to work it out and build my own looms.

That's pretty much it. As I say a year on and things are still working great. My alarm system included remote start which was wonderful in the winter months, though honestly.....I can't help thinking it's more a gimmick than anything lol

So my advice after doing this?

1. Plan time for much longer than you first estimate.
2. Be REALLY careful if you intend removing the passenger side airbag.
3. You don't need to remove the entire dash, just all the front and underside panels and switches. This will give you enough room to route looms safely and securely behind the dash.
4. When tapping in to power sources from the fuse box, check you have the right one - then check again -then CHECK AGAIN!!!
5. Always temporarily wire everything up before making any permanent connection and test it. Because you don't want to wire everything up, build your looms finish the job and THEN discover your central locking button now operates the passenger side window. lol
6. Check, check, check and then CHECK AGAIN!! I can't stress this enough. Don't be in a rush, take your time and be triple sure everything works how it should and doesn't adversely affect anything else.
7. A little planning goes a long way. Read your schematics and instructions and then plan every stage of the job out before you start. This isn't really the most complex job in the world but it's long and detailed. Know where to start and know where to finish. It helps no end.

If any one has any questions on the job, by all means ask. It's been a year since I did it so my memory may not be 100% but if I can help I will.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts