DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
Recently I upgrade from the basic radio 3.0 to the touchscreen uconnect 5.0.
Everything was easy, plug and play, however the compass didn't work, (which I don't mind)
I am able to pair my iphone via bluetooth, stream music, listen to incoming messages,
Incoming calls, can answer the calls but since I don't have a microphone they are not able to hear me, so this is the issue that I have, my truck was equipped with back up camera and the monitor for that is located in the rearview mirror, when I put it on reverse, I can still see the monitor on the rearview mirror, and on the screen of the radio I have a blue screen with the title "check your surroundings" , so my question is : in order to see the signal of the camera in my radio screen, do i need to take truck to dealership so they can flash the new radio to camera? Or do i need a harness for that? Or is the camera already wired to the radio? Thank you in advance for your help.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I just finished upgrading from a 3.0 to an 8.4 and can offer up some help.

The camera is not wired to the radio harness from the factory. There is three wires that have to be spliced and pinned into the factory radio harness connector. Once you do that the radio will display the backup camera, no trip to the dealer needed. The wires are in a harness behind the passenger side air vent. I used an 18/2 shielded cable to tap into these wires and connect to my radio.

The microphone is a little more involved. The factory mirror microphone is actually two seperate microphones with four wires, my truck had the wiring in place, you would have to confirm if yours has it or not. I believe it should. I tried splicing in a cheap aftermarket microphone and it really wasn't working to well. Ended up finding a factory mirror with just microphone and auto dimming, no display. If you do go this route try to find the new mirror with a wiring pigtail as the connectors are different, 14 pin on the mirror with a display and a 10 pin for the mirror without a display, I think there is also a different mirror connector for the mirrors with 911/assist buttons....

I can find the part numbers for the pins needed on the radio connector if you want

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just finished upgrading from a 3.0 to an 8.4 and can offer up some help.

The camera is not wired to the radio harness from the factory. There is three wires that have to be spliced and pinned into the factory radio harness connector. Once you do that the radio will display the backup camera, no trip to the dealer needed. The wires are in a harness behind the passenger side air vent. I used an 18/2 shielded cable to tap into these wires and connect to my radio.

The microphone is a little more involved. The factory mirror microphone is actually two seperate microphones with four wires, my truck had the wiring in place, you would have to confirm if yours has it or not. I believe it should. I tried splicing in a cheap aftermarket microphone and it really wasn't working to well. Ended up finding a factory mirror with just microphone and auto dimming, no display. If you do go this route try to find the new mirror with a wiring pigtail as the connectors are different, 14 pin on the mirror with a display and a 10 pin for the mirror without a display, I think there is also a different mirror connector for the mirrors with 911/assist buttons....

I can find the part numbers for the pins needed on the radio connector if you want
Thank you for your help and information bobbo7915, but yes , if you have the part numbers for the pins I would really appreciate that info. One question, did your truck had the rearview mirror monitor also before you did the upgrade to the 8.4?

·
Registered
60 Posts
yes, my truck came from the factory with a backup camera so it had the display in the mirror, which is why i think your truck will also have the wiring, like mine did, for the microphones.

so if you take out the passenger side vent you will see a wiring harness, there will be a bare wire, a green/brown stripe and a green/orange stripe. those are the three that need to be pinned into the radio harness at position 31 (GR/OR), 32 (GR/BR) and 33 (BARE)

i am 95% sure those are where i put the pins, i ended up having to swap the 31/32 pins so i'll double check tonight.

the pins you need for the radio harness i purchased from mouser, part # 571-638551-3

i would have typed all that info out last night but couldnt find the email with the part numbers i used....

anything else let me know!

·
Premium Member
32,781 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes, my truck came from the factory with a backup camera so it had the display in the mirror, which is why i think your truck will also have the wiring, like mine did, for the microphones.

so if you take out the passenger side vent you will see a wiring harness, there will be a bare wire, a green/brown stripe and a green/orange stripe. those are the three that need to be pinned into the radio harness at position 31 (GR/OR), 32 (GR/BR) and 33 (BARE)

i am 95% sure those are where i put the pins, i ended up having to swap the 31/32 pins so i'll double check tonight.

the pins you need for the radio harness i purchased from mouser, part # 571-638551-3

i would have typed all that info out last night but couldnt find the email with the part numbers i used....

anything else let me know!
Thank you again for your help, sounds easy, will order the pins that I need for the radio and we'll see how it goes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
How did you connect into the wires in the passenger side vent connector? The mouser connectors listed don't fit into the connector. Did you splice into the wires directly?

This thread has been very helpful. Moving the rear view camera from the mirror to the 5.0 is my last step to complete.

TIA
Jack

1 - 8 of 8 Posts