DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all! I haven't posted in quite some time, but I wanted to inquire about an issue I'm having with upgrading my stock Alpine system with a Digital Signal Processor (Rockford Fosgate DS1), T- Harness, 5-channel amp to power 2 pairs of Pioneer D-series component speakers and an 8" Pioneer sub in the factory box. After talking to Crutchfield they said I could have the upgrade installed and still utilize the center channel speaker (3.5" tweeter) by having it powered by the factory amp. After taking it to a local installer, they said I would have to lose the center channel speaker when using the DSR1 interface for an aftermarket amp. Otherwise I would have to buy a 6-channel amp, which is hard to find, then go through the rigmarole of returning the 5-channel amp, and waiting to have the 6-channel come in only to power the center channel speaker when my 2 pairs of component speakers will likely be sufficient. Now I've heard that the center channel speaker runs a mixture of L and R signals, and when tinkering with the radio balance L<>R it seems as though the center channel speaker is substantially louder than the corner dash speakers, hence, why I thought it would be beneficial to have a center channel speaker installed. So I guess my question is, does this local installer know what he's talking about, or is Crutchfield's stance on being able to wire the center channel off the factor amp skewed after installing the DSR1 interface? Any help or suggestions are appreciated! Thanks!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I did alot of web searching on different components, specs, price, etc...

Ordered some of the list of things in my list (even had to return a couple do to fitment issues) and
eventually came up with what I have now. Here's the details:

Dash speakers (corners): Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m 3.5" Mid-ranges (center left as-is)
Front doors: CDT Audio CL-69S 6X9” mid-bass woofers
Rear doors: Infinity Reference REF-9622IX
Sub box under rear seat: (MTX dual 10" enclosure) with JL Audio 10w3's
Front door pillars and overhead: Hertz Energy ET 26.5 Tweeters

For processing, interfacing, and amps:

JL Audio HD 900/5
Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP
iDataLink Maestro ADS-MAR
iDataLink Maestro AR-CH2

Power distribution and wiring:

MESA AKCO 0 Gauge OFC Amp Kit
MESA FDBUQM Dual Power/Ground Distribution Kit
Stinger SHW516B-500 16GA Speaker wire
Stinger SHW512B-250 12GA Speaker wire
MESA RM6 6' M-Series Twisted RCA Cables
MESA PWCB4 4AWG OFC Power Wire
MESA RM1F2M 1F-2M M-Series Twisted Y-Adapters

Right at $2k in parts - not including what labor would cost while retaining the stock head unit and all functionality of the factory controls/systems.

Here's a basic layout of the system:

·
Registered
560 Posts
I did alot of web searching on different components, specs, price, etc...

Ordered some of the list of things in my list (even had to return a couple do to fitment issues) and
eventually came up with what I have now. Here's the details:

Dash speakers (corners): Infinity Kappa Perfect 300m 3.5" Mid-ranges (center left as-is)
Front doors: CDT Audio CL-69S 6X9” mid-bass woofers
Rear doors: Infinity Reference REF-9622IX
Sub box under rear seat: (MTX dual 10" enclosure) with JL Audio 10w3's
Front door pillars and overhead: Hertz Energy ET 26.5 Tweeters

For processing, interfacing, and amps:

JL Audio HD 900/5
Kenwood Excelon XR600-6DSP
iDataLink Maestro ADS-MAR
iDataLink Maestro AR-CH2

Power distribution and wiring:

MESA AKCO 0 Gauge OFC Amp Kit
MESA FDBUQM Dual Power/Ground Distribution Kit
Stinger SHW516B-500 16GA Speaker wire
Stinger SHW512B-250 12GA Speaker wire
MESA RM6 6' M-Series Twisted RCA Cables
MESA PWCB4 4AWG OFC Power Wire
MESA RM1F2M 1F-2M M-Series Twisted Y-Adapters

Right at $2k in parts - not including what labor would cost while retaining the stock head unit and all functionality of the factory controls/systems.

Here's a basic layout of the system:

how many different stores did you have to go to/order from to get all of this? I've been thinking of upgrading my system but I suck at wiring.

·
Registered
259 Posts
ToeJam...please continue with your layout and build...any pics??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Toe jam. Did you require an aftermarket amp to power your center dash or did u run it off factory amp? My installer said he can't save the center channel unless i use another amp altogether... crutchfield says differently...

·
Registered
246 Posts
Center channel still works (stock speaker) but have it turned off through the head unit. It will throw off the staging if enabled.

·
Registered
246 Posts
how many different stores did you have to go to/order from to get all of this? I've been thinking of upgrading my system but I suck at wiring.

Bought some online, some at the local car stereo shop, and had a buddy thats an installer do the install. took 2 days to do it maintaining a stealth look except for the door pillar tweeter pods, but they blend in very nicely.

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
1,642 Posts
ToeJam, do you turn the center back on for phone calls/gps or have it routed elsewhere?

OP, the factory enclosure and anything that will fit will not be worth your time. Have a custom enclosure made or at least buy a prefab with quality mdf, IMO the only area the 8.4 lacks with a good EQ adjustment is the low end. If you don't have a lot of knowledge on DSP integration, the Canbus will be nothing but costly and/or headaches for you.

·
Registered
246 Posts
ToeJam, do you turn the center back on for phone calls/gps or have it routed elsewhere?

OP, the factory enclosure and anything that will fit will not be worth your time. Have a custom enclosure made or at least buy a prefab with quality mdf, IMO the only area the 8.4 lacks with a good EQ adjustment is the low end. If you don't have a lot of knowledge on DSP integration, the Canbus will be nothing but costly and/or headaches for you.

The factory microphone still works as designed, and the iDataLink Maestro ADS-MAR handles the phone calls/gps routing to the left and right dash speakers.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts