DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys. New to the forum. I’ve got a 2010 Ram 2500. It had the REN radio with uconnect. I just replaced with a 2012 model RBZ radio. Still no Bluetooth music streaming. Everything else works the same as the old REN radio but the Bluetooth streaming doesn’t show up. Any help would be great. Do I need to go to the dealer and have something flashed?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Really? No one will chime in on this one. I heard this forum was awesome but I guess they were wrong. I’ve never went this long on any forum without any kind of reply and I’m on a few diesel and Cummins forums. Wow. This is embarrassing.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I don't know a lot about the electronics in these rigs but did the Bluetooth/uconnect/phone ever work with the REN radio? If it didn't that could be the problem as you would have to have the sales code RSP (Uconnect Phone with Voice Command) added to your Vin. Also did you ever have the Uconnect module with either of the radios?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That’s the thing. I had Bluetooth phone calls only with the REN. And on the RBZ unit, it’ll let me pair the phone with the radio and make phone calls, but it won’t let me stream music. The truck says it has uconnect from the factory and it also has the big, clunky Chrysler proprietary iPod plug in the glove box.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I’m under the assumption if the dealer had to flash it for the uconnect to work, the phone functions wouldn’t work. Am I correct

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
I really couldn't tell you if you are correct or not. I have uconnect on my truck but I don't have a service contract. My cell phone is paired via BT and can use it hands free, but I cant tell you if I am able to stream music as I have no available device to stream music or the knowledge to do it. I'm old school, listen to the radio or just play discs. I would think that streaming music is an advanced feature of the radio and it might have to be flashed.

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
If you can make phone calls with your 2010 Dodge Ram
Then your trucks computer is communicating with the radio & there is no need to go see the dealership or anyone else

This is the RBZ 430 radio manual,
i see nothing where it suggests that it could be used for anything except Bluetooth Phone Calls, Voice Commands & the auxiliary (AUX) jack allows a portable device, such as an MP3 player or a cassette player, to be plugged into the radio and utilize the vehicle's audio system to amplify the source and play through the vehicle speakers. The display will switch automatically to the AUX mode when a 3.5 mm stereo mini-jack cable has been connected.
To change radio modes while the cable is connected to the unit, press the MEDIA hard-key until the AUX tab is displayed on the top of the screen. Touch the AUX tab to return to the AUX mode.
The control of the external device cannot be provided by the radio; use the device controls instead.

https://www.chrysler.com/en/owners/quality/rbz/index.html

I don't know if Ram trucks had Streaming until somewhere around 2013 :4-dontknow:

www.Crutchfield.com has after market radios that may do all the things that you want or need & the instructions on how to install it in your vehicle

·
Super Moderator
34,750 Posts
Really? No one will chime in on this one. I heard this forum was awesome but I guess they were wrong. I’ve never went this long on any forum without any kind of reply and I’m on a few diesel and Cummins forums. Wow. This is embarrassing.

It was one day, relax.

I'll move this to the Uconnect section and see if that helps

·
Premium Member
32,783 Posts
WOW!!
i learned something again today :)

If the radio works in your vehicle, in these modes AM/FM/Sirius
You must have a High Speed RBZ 430 radio

They also made a Low Speed RBZ 430 radio in the same years, but it would not work in a Dodge Ram. It was only for cars & some of the Jeeps

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WOW!!
i learned something again today

If the radio works in your vehicle, in these modes AM/FM/Sirius
You must have a High Speed RBZ 430 radio

They also made a Low Speed RBZ 430 radio in the same years, but it would not work in a Dodge Ram. It was only for cars & some of the Jeeps
The radio works and everything works just like my REN radio. And the Bluetooth works for phone calls, just no streaming. The mopar link I included earlier in this post shows Bluetooth streaming. I’ve got the high speed unit.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I had an RBZ in a Chrysler a few years ago, but it never supported streaming that I remember. You had to plug in the aux cable to play music from your phone.

·
Registered
4 Posts
The radio works and everything works just like my REN radio. And the Bluetooth works for phone calls, just no streaming. The mopar link I included earlier in this post shows Bluetooth streaming. I’ve got the high speed unit.
Did you ever get an answer? I’m about to switch my caravans radio to RBZ and add the Bluetooth box while I do it. Wonder if I can learn from your experience.

·
Registered
455 Posts
What year is the vehicle you are getting the radio and uconnect module out of? Bluetooth music streaming wasn't supported until the 2011 MY. Also make sure they both are the high speed bus versions as mentioned above

·
Registered
4 Posts
What year is the vehicle you are getting the radio and uconnect module out of? Bluetooth music streaming wasn't supported until the 2011 MY. Also make sure they both are the high speed bus versions as mentioned above
If you are replying to me- I am unsure of the year but it was matched to my vehicle 2016.

·
Registered
455 Posts
If you are replying to me- I am unsure of the year but it was matched to my vehicle 2016.
Yes - should be plug and play then, and bluetooth streaming should also work. I you don't have the microphone mirror, you'll probably also need the separate mic to use the phone and voice commands

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks. So do you know if I have to have the dealer add this Bluetooth box to my VIN? We already did the radio ... added the SN through the dealer connection we have and got the 4 digit code for radio. One place I read mentioned having to do something special for the Bluetooth unit too- but I’m unsure if this applies to what I am doing....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts