DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys, I have a 2012 ram 1500 big Horn hemi. It came with the res radio WITHOUT uconnect. I don't have uconnect buttons on my steering wheel. I'm looking at a high speed bus RER taken out of a 2009 Dodge journey. From what I understand, these RER's have the uconnect module built in, so all I'd need is a mic for it to work (and have it flashed). I was originally looking at doing a non-nav radio like the RBZ, but to add the uconnect module the parts alone are $300. I'm trying to avoid that. I don't care so much about phone use, more about Bluetooth audio streaming. If I buy the RER, is it a direct swap? Will I be able to stream Bluetooth to it?
Thanks!

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Search tool, on this website, is your friend. In just a few minutes time and very little effort, You will find more info than you know what to do with.

or

you can post, like you did here, and wait, then wait some more, then wait even more, hoping someone will anser your post AND that they know what they are talking about.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Search tool, on this website, is your friend. In just a few minutes time and very little effort, You will find more info than you know what to do with.

or

you can post, like you did here, and wait, then wait some more, then wait even more, hoping someone will anser your post AND that they know what they are talking about.
I did search, also, both "RES" and "RER" are too short for the search engine to use. Sorry I couldn't find specifically this, or maybe should say it wasn't answered completely enough for me to sepnd $350 without knowing for sure it will work. I also searched Jeep forums as well. I'm fairly certain the information I stated in the op is correct, I was just hoping someone Who has completed this swap or knows way more than me would confirm.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I am also looking at an RHR radio. Did the rhr even come in low speed canbus? Or are they all High speed?

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you're putting in an RER in place of an RES, then this should be helpful to you:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102254

Differences: 1. you will need to add the GPS antenna in the dash even though you have a dual band antenna on the roof (less expensive than a signal splitter)
2. You won't need to disconnect the UConnect module.
3. You will need to put a microphone in (connects to the center connector in the back of the radio). You can get one from infotainment.com.

Things to know:
The newer (than 2009) Uconnect module has more functionality than the internal RER like some texting capability. (Even the RHR doesn't do that).
The maps are very expensive to update, where I heard that the lower nav system that needs the UConnect module can be updated with downloads from Garmin. Don't know exactly where I read that tho.
As far as low speed RHR, check the same site as above for the microphone with your vehicle and it will give you what's available.

Andy

·
Premium Member
32,661 Posts
Dodge Rams beginning in 2007 use the High Speed CanBus system
Only the high priced Jeep models also used the High Speed CanBus system back around then

all of the radios between 2009 & 2012 were called MYGIG radios
unfortunately both the Low Speed & High Speed radios used the same model names or letters in the lower right corner of the radios

MyGIG radios run on two different Bus systems, a low-speed computer Bus system (CAN-B) and a high-speed computer Bus system (CAN-C). MyGIG radios designed for a high-speed electrical bus will not work on a vehicle with a low-speed bus, and vice versa.

RER 730N
- Featuring North American maps by Navteq. Manufactured by Harman Becker.
The 2007 model was released with buggy application firmware and the 20GB Hitachi hard drives that are now notorious to crash.
In 2008 HB replaced the HDD with a more reliable Samsung 30GB, the application firmware and map database were now a lot easier to use.
In 2009 HB added the "iPod integration" feature which allowed users to connect a Mopar iPod integration cable to the system to relay audio, control the iPod from the touch-screen display, and charge the iPod device simultaneously.
In 2010 HB didn't make many changes to the main board, just firmware updates.
In 2011 HB started to slowly phase out the RER platform only releasing minimal quantities made for high speed CAN-C vehicles & the 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
All RER radios feature built-in UConnect hands-free, Sirius satellite radio, and Sirius Traffic.

RER 730N radios were replaced by the RHR 730N

RHR 730N ....
Featuring North American maps by Navteq. Manufactured by HB
The 2011 model was released with the 30GB Samsung HDD with two rear USB inputs, the later years consolidated to one USB input.
The 2012-2013 models are nearly identical featuring a 40GB Hitachi HDD and requiring an antitheft code to operate in a donor vehicle.
All RHR radios feature built-in UConnect hands-free, A2DP (Bluetooth Streaming Audio), Sirius satellite radio, Sirius Traffic, and Sirius Travel Link.

Everything about the MYGIG radios is covered at this website
https://www.infotainment.com/blogs/news/7991105-mygig-radios-explained

at https://www.infotainment.com , you can look up any particular radio
The radios manuals can be found there
Installment instructions are also there
any modifications that you may need are also there.

https://www.infotainment.com/collections/all/products/2011-2012-ram-1500-2500-3500-gps-navigation-rhr-730n-radio

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Rep points given for the link.
Saved me from finding it for the guy.

If you're putting in an RER in place of an RES, then this should be helpful to you:

http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=102254

Differences: 1. you will need to add the GPS antenna in the dash even though you have a dual band antenna on the roof (less expensive than a signal splitter)
2. You won't need to disconnect the UConnect module.
3. You will need to put a microphone in (connects to the center connector in the back of the radio). You can get one from infotainment.com.

Things to know:
The newer (than 2009) Uconnect module has more functionality than the internal RER like some texting capability. (Even the RHR doesn't do that).
The maps are very expensive to update, where I heard that the lower nav system that needs the UConnect module can be updated with downloads from Garmin. Don't know exactly where I read that tho.
As far as low speed RHR, check the same site as above for the microphone with your vehicle and it will give you what's available.

Andy

·
Registered
11 Posts
Looking at doing the same with my 2012 ram as the radio doesnt have am/FM anymore and sound cuts in/out, I have uconnect already from factory. So what all would.i.need to change this over?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Depends on what radio you replace the RER with.. On anything but the RHR and RER, you do not need to disconnect the voice module. Actually your voice module allows verbal to texting which the RHR (latest firmware) is not capable of doing.

One note, the lower nav units do not allow input during movement. The RHR does allow voice input during movement. So that is something to think about.

Other than above, if you choose any radio but the RER/RHR, and it's HIGH SPEED BUS, then it will be plug and play. Otherwise you need to follow the link I gave in an earlier post.

Andy

1 - 10 of 10 Posts