DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Upgrading tires

857 17
Hey there
So I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Tradesman, Current stock tires are 265 /70/R17
I will start by saying I'm in Canada (Vancouver, BC) I also have put Bilstiens 6112 Shock Leveling Kit on my truck , (Shop Set it at 2.25)
I want to upgrade to 33" tirers , so I shop around and I'm seeing 285/70/17 or 295 etc
Then I goto a " tire comparison" web page that shows the differences and my stock tire is about 32 inch
Also I know most guys up here go for the BFG KO2 , I'm kinda Liking the Toyo Open Country AT III - I'm trying to keep my cost down a bit also , I keeping the stock rim also.
Any suggestions ?
Wheel Automotive parking light Automotive side marker light Tire Land vehicle
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,451 Posts
You're going to get many different opinions on this competitive market, but my Nitto G2s are still whisper quiet since day 1 and do well on all terrain. After 4 years and 60k hard miles(light towing), they still have 8-9/32 tread rotating every 5-6k miles. Gonna pay the premium, but next year plan on replacing with the same exact set.

Father had BFG KO2s, noisy after 20k miles and Father in-law runs Falken Wildpeaks with similar results after wearing through the outer soft compound.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea it's a crazy time trying to filter out any negative to get to good. I guess finding out what size will be the best choice 1st then choose a tire , I heard that possibly 295 will rub

I shopped my local store and there's one called sumitomo encounter at and they seem ok , but I am looking for more aggressive tread
Cheers

·
Registered
430 Posts
How aggressive? The more aggressive the more road noise you'll get. Plus that usually is more of an off-road centric tire that will be a softer compound and will last fewer miles.

I see lots of budget tires running around. I don't how long they'll last but those manufacturers are still in business for a reason. You will get a good deal up front with up to 50% off a comparable "name brand" tire but I don't know how much you save in the back end (ride quality, tire life, etc.).

You can find a good deal out there if you look for it but, for the most part, you get what you pay for.

I went with Nitto Ridge Grapplers and got 55K out of them. I usually mix things up each time I get new tires but I liked the Nittos so much that I replaced them with another set.

Just my .02

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,269 Posts
Hey there
So I have a 2016 Ram 1500 Tradesman, Current stock tires are 265 /70/R17
I will start by saying I'm in Canada (Vancouver, BC) I also have put Bilstiens 6112 Shock Leveling Kit on my truck , (Shop Set it at 2.25)
I want to upgrade to 33" tirers , so I shop around and I'm seeing 285/70/17 or 295 etc
Then I goto a " tire comparison" web page that shows the differences and my stock tire is about 32 inch
Also I know most guys up here go for the BFG KO2 , I'm kinda Liking the Toyo Open Country AT III - I'm trying to keep my cost down a bit also , I keeping the stock rim also.
Any suggestions ? View attachment 145455
This is a thread best left for people that have actually used different AT tires in various terrain, snow, mud, etc.
So far the only ones that I've used in all types of terrain are the Falken Wildepeak AT3W's and the Pirelli Scorpion AT plus tires. I highly recommend a tire that's 3-peak mountain rated (has the symbol on the side of the tire) because I'm sure you'll be running through some snow being in Canada. Wildpeaks are a little better than the Pirelli on the highway and in snow but for rock, sand, gravel, mud...the two preform pretty evenly. I chose to not get the KO2'S because of so many reports of people loosing wet traction after the first 12k miles or so. Coopers wear out too fast per my friends that have tried them.

·
Registered
19 RAM 1500 5.7 Etorque. Falcon Wildpeak AT3W/ JMS PedalMax/weatherTech TechLiner/Gator Quad fold
1,269 Posts
You're going to get many different opinions on this competitive market, but my Nitto G2s are still whisper quiet since day 1 and do well on all terrain. After 4 years and 60k hard miles(light towing), they still have 8-9/32 tread rotating every 5-6k miles. Gonna pay the premium, but next year plan on replacing with the same exact set.

Father had BFG KO2s, noisy after 20k miles and Father in-law runs Falken Wildpeaks with similar results after wearing through the outer soft compound.
Outter compound? Its not a coating, The entire tread is made of the same compound. That goes for all AT tires and whatever tread compound they use...

·
Registered
2014 345ci 8hp70 44-44 3.92 Truetrac NX Express Comp Greene Racing
2,451 Posts
Outter compound? Its not a coating, The entire tread is made of the same compound. That goes for all AT tires and whatever tread compound they use...
The industry has moved on to advanced technology and chemistry. Toyo/Nitto is the pinnacle of R&D in the manufacturing world of racing, others just kind of follow due to capital/warranty expense constraints.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
The industry has moved on to advanced technology and chemistry. Toyo/Nitto is the pinnacle of R&D in the manufacturing world of racing, others just kind of follow due to capital/warranty expense constraints.

Toyo aren't bad tires by any means but I would never refer to them as the pinnacle of tires although they are renownedin the racing dept. Hardly an argument for a truck forum. The article you posted definitely has some interesting information but it does not support the claim of the tread having a basic coating that rubs off.

·
Registered
43 Posts
To the original poster, do you have Les Schwab Tire stores up there in BC? I live just east of Lake Tahoe and commute about 45 miles one way to Reno, Nevada on a weekly basis. I also like trail riding and off roading. I have a 2011 2500 with the CTD, so my tires are E rated LT275/70R18 125/122S. I run the Les Schwab brand, Open Range All Terrain. I like the warrenty that Les Schwab gives these tires and the Tripple Peak Winter rating that it has because when driving up to Lake Tahoe in the winter, I don't have chain up. I also like the off road performance as well. I am getting excellent mileage wear out these tires as I do regular rotations every 5,000 miles or less. Since I don't really haul any heavy loads, I run 60lbs of air pressure in the front tires and 50lbs in the rear to help give a smoother ride and promote even wear across the tread of the tire. (The sticker on the door recomends 80lbs - but realistically those air pressures are when fully loaded, which I rarely run.) If I do pull a heavy load, I'll air back up. My current set ran me less than $1,300 (USD) out the door over a year ago.

I have obtained a second set of matching rims and have been thinking of getting another set like these, but studded for winter only use. If I don't get the studded set of tires, I may get a more agressive tread for off road/summer use. In addition, I also plan on getting a Carly 2.5 - 3 inch leveling front suspension to increased suspension travel and smoother ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
'20 Ram 1500 Big Horn 5.7 E-Tourque w Rambox
34 Posts
I just got the Nitto Recon Grapplers, from my understanding I was told pretty similar to the ridge Grapplers but quieter , that was all I needed to hear....

Reactions: PowerJrod

·
Registered
231 Posts
I have been a fan of the Cooper Discover ATW+4 or now its just the AT3 4S (4S is different in compound and sipping from standard AT3). These have been tested against snow tries and out performed in some aspects. Have a substantially better stopping distance then standard All Season All terrain tire). Prior to the Coopers on both trucks i.e. 2005 F150 FX4 and now 2019 Gen 4 Ram 1500, ran the wranglers. The coopers are night and day difference in snow. And yes Mountain Snowflake rated, which is another interesting issue with respect to cooper, they do not think the perimeters required for Snowflake rating go far enough........That should tell you something about their tires performance.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
I have been a fan of the Cooper Discover ATW+4 or now its just the AT3 4S (4S is different in compound and sipping from standard AT3). These have been tested against snow tries and out performed in some aspects. Have a substantially better stopping distance then standard All Season All terrain tire). Prior to the Coopers on both trucks i.e. 2005 F150 FX4 and now 2019 Gen 4 Ram 1500, ran the wranglers. The coopers are night and day difference in snow. And yes Mountain Snowflake rated, which is another interesting issue with respect to cooper, they do not think the perimeters required for Snowflake rating go far enough........That should tell you something about their tires performance.
Almost every tire is night and day difference over Wranglers lol

1 - 18 of 18 Posts