DODGE RAM FORUM banner

upper control arm clearance, tire size, popping ball joints

6K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Moparite 
#1 · (Edited)
I have read a lot about 13+ Rams popping ball joints after leveling. I have a 2014 4X4 with a 2.5" kit. I have had no issues with the ball joints, but my upper control arms are VERY close to the tire. I can not even slide my finger between the arms and the tire. I am running the stock Wranglers on the 20" wheel. (275/60/20) I was hoping for a tire upgrade to the BFG 285/65/20. My question is...Am I crazy to think that my Ram will not pop the ball joints? Do they all do this? Will the larger tire be too close to the upper control arms? Will they rub? What about turning and off road scenarios? I am thinking about spacers. I do not want to get too far away form the stock stuff. I really like the way the truck looks leveled. Not sure what to do.

#2 ·
Welcome to the forum!
There's a section dedicated to leveling the Rams. I opted for the Bilstein adjustable struts rather than spacers; it not that much more money and it's a better strut.
Look through the "sticky's" at the top of the forum page for various guides to leveling; I posted the link below for you.

http://www.ramforumz.com/forumdisplay.php?f=261

#3 ·
Thanks...already leveled it. Just wondering about the ball joint problem and why my UCA's are so close to the tire. I am considering aftermarket UCA's, not de-leveling. I just did not know if I should really worry about it, (ball joint problem) or if new tires would fit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.