DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I simply add the usb cable to the existing uconnect module if I have uconnect and the 130 RES radio and have it work?

If so do you access the input mode by cycling the Aux button?

Reading all of the Uconnect posts I feel like :LOL:

TIA.

·
Registered
801 Posts
It looks like you have a 2012 vehicle. If this is correct, then you will want to purchase the iPod / USB cable PN 82212160. This will plug into the Uconnect module which should be behind or under the glovebox. The cable has a mini USB connector on one end and a USB connector on the other end. You'll plug the mini USB into the small connector on the module. You'll see only one spot that it will mate up to. To access the iPod mode, yes cycle thru the AUX mode. The cable is about $35.

Can I simply add the usb cable to the existing uconnect module if I have uconnect and the 130 RES radio and have it work?

If so do you access the input mode by cycling the Aux button?

Reading all of the Uconnect posts I feel like :LOL:

TIA.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cable has a mini USB connector on one end and a USB connector on the other end. You'll plug the mini USB into the small connector on the module. .
Thanks for the reply. Do you know if it is a standard mini usb end? If it is couldn't one just buy the right cable and plug it in or did Ram use a special mini USB end?

·
Registered
59 Posts
If you have Uconnect the cable is behind the upper glove box.
Hemi Joe may be right, I've read on other posts that if you have the Uconnect the cable may already be connected to the module and just taped up in the harness that is behind the upper glovebox bin. I would take out the 2 gloveboxes and check to see if the cable is there before ordering a $30 USB cable. If it is there, you can replace the upper bin with the one that has the hole & mounting clips for the USB.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Hemi Joe may be right, I've read on other posts that if you have the Uconnect the cable may already be connected to the module and just taped up in the harness that is behind the upper glovebox bin. I would take out the 2 gloveboxes and check to see if the cable is there before ordering a $30 USB cable. If it is there, you can replace the upper bin with the one that has the hole & mounting clips for the USB.
That's correct. Here's a link to a thread where I replaced my bin with the upper glove box. The USB cable was taped to a harness. I simply untaped it and attached it to my new glove box.

http://www.*************/f42/added-upper-glove-box-my-express-15787/

replace the stars with ram forum dot com

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well, dropped the glove box yesterday and the cable is definitely there, just need the time to cut all the tape off of the main harness as it is wrapped from 1" away from the uconnect box right to 1/2" from the connection. It was an awesome surprise to find it there already.

The parts counter confirmed that all 2012's with Uconnect appear to have the cable whether it is installed in the upper glove box or not!

·
Registered
801 Posts
This is correct about the connector being there. The reason for this is that Dodge went to a single IP harness (Instrument Panel / dash harness). This was to keep from having misbuilt vehicles, also for cost savings. Instead of having 6 different harnesses, they have a single harness with some give away connectors.

Well, dropped the glove box yesterday and the cable is definitely there, just need the time to cut all the tape off of the main harness as it is wrapped from 1" away from the uconnect box right to 1/2" from the connection. It was an awesome surprise to find it there already.

The parts counter confirmed that all 2012's with Uconnect appear to have the cable whether it is installed in the upper glove box or not!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Thats pretty cool, you would think they would just make the receptacle in the upper glovebox standard if the wire is there already. Mine has the lighted USB port in the upper glovebox, but I would be happy with any female USB plug in there.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The connector is there as a freebie, this makes it so that Dodge can have only 1 IP harness vs having to have several. This eliminates the possibility of the plant putting in the wrong harness and then to pay a tech to change it out. The price of the cable is cheap compared to having several different harnesses. The price of having all the compartments would be expensive and not everyone wants the cable but it there for those that do.

Thats pretty cool, you would think they would just make the receptacle in the upper glovebox standard if the wire is there already. Mine has the lighted USB port in the upper glovebox, but I would be happy with any female USB plug in there.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Sorry to revive a dead thread, but searching for "USB" and "130" doesn't show any results because of the short words. I do have the connector, and ran a USB extension cable from the connector into the lower glove box. I plugged in a USB flash drive, and it didn't see or play anything when on the AUX setting. Is there something special that I should be doing?

·
Registered
801 Posts
you didn't mention if you have the Uconnect system installed. If you don't then it won't work yet. You'd need to have Uconnect installed. Does your radio have the Uconnect buttons on it?

Sorry to revive a dead thread, but searching for "USB" and "130" doesn't show any results because of the short words. I do have the connector, and ran a USB extension cable from the connector into the lower glove box. I plugged in a USB flash drive, and it didn't see or play anything when on the AUX setting. Is there something special that I should be doing?

·
Registered
397 Posts
I have the RES 130 media center but it does not have the uconnect buttons on it. And I do not have the USB cable.. :-( I plan on putting in the RBZ mygig.

·
Registered
801 Posts
If you're going to change the radio, then you'll want to wait to install the Uconnect kit. The kit for the RBZ radio is different than the one for the RES w/o the Uconnect buttons. Uconnect can be added to the RES w/o buttons as well as the RBZ.
For that information you can see my other thread onn that subject:
http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=113410&highlight=uconnect

Now for the RBZ radio, you'll need the Mopar kit PN 82212159 and the USB / iPod cable PN 82212160. You can find both parts on line or eBay. Once the kit is installed, you'll need to have the dealer flash the vehicle for code RSP.

I have the RES 130 media center but it does not have the uconnect buttons on it. And I do not have the USB cable.. :-( I plan on putting in the RBZ mygig.

·
Registered
19 Posts
you didn't mention if you have the Uconnect system installed. If you don't then it won't work yet. You'd need to have Uconnect installed. Does your radio have the Uconnect buttons on it?
I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure. According to my build sheet, I have the "RESS Uconnect 130 AM/FM/CD/MP3" but I don't know what particular Uconnect buttons you are referring to.

I don't plan on keeping the radio for a long time, and saw that the USB connector was there when installing the cabin air filter, and was just curious to see if it worked.

·
Registered
801 Posts
The Uconnect buttons would be 2 buttons either on the radio or steering wheel. One button would have a white phone on it and the other would have a facial profile with sound waves coming out of the mouth. If you have these buttons, I'd say that you may have the Uconnect system and the USB issue would need to be looked into. If you don't have these buttons then hold off till you decide to change out the radio before installing the Uconnect system (just to save you the expense of buying 2 different kits).

I thought I did, but now I'm not so sure. According to my build sheet, I have the "RESS Uconnect 130 AM/FM/CD/MP3" but I don't know what particular Uconnect buttons you are referring to.

I don't plan on keeping the radio for a long time, and saw that the USB connector was there when installing the cabin air filter, and was just curious to see if it worked.

·
Registered
19 Posts
The Uconnect buttons would be 2 buttons either on the radio or steering wheel. One button would have a white phone on it and the other would have a facial profile with sound waves coming out of the mouth. If you have these buttons, I'd say that you may have the Uconnect system and the USB issue would need to be looked into. If you don't have these buttons then hold off till you decide to change out the radio before installing the Uconnect system (just to save you the expense of buying 2 different kits).
I do NOT have the Uconnect buttons either on the steering wheel or the radio, so I guess I'm out of luck. Oh well, it just speeds up my time line for upgrading the radio.

Thanks for all your help!

1 - 20 of 37 Posts