DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,
I have been looking at a new 2012 ram 2500 outdoorsman (with Hemi engine) for a while now. I have also stumbled upon a used one - 2011 with 28,000 miles on it. It's about 8-9k less than the new one. The biggest difference I can see between the two is the 5spd transmission in the 2011 vs 6spd in the 2012. Are there any other significant differences that I should consider? Is the 6spd worth holding out for? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If it were me....for $8 or $9K less, I'd buy used. IMHO The 6 speed is not worth the difference in price difference plus the drop in value that youre gonna take as soon as you pull that 2012 off the lot.
But thats just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
38 Posts
Depends on if you're financing or not. Normally the low interest rates on a new model will give you a lower payment then used one.

I bought a 2011 longhorn in December of 2011 but forwent the 0% interest for all the rebates. Was able to $8,000 below sticker w/ 2.5% apr.... and 7mi on it :)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Depends on if you're financing or not. Normally the low interest rates on a new model will give you a lower payment then used one.

I bought a 2011 longhorn in December of 2011 but forwent the 0% interest for all the rebates. Was able to $8,000 below sticker w/ 2.5% apr.... and 7mi on it :)
This would tip the scale. I bought my brand new 2011 very well also. Huge incentives and very good interest rate. But that was in December as well. These types of deal are going to be harder to find right now.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would wait till truck month (usually march) to buy new. I got mine last year during truck month. Sticker price- $39,100 took it home for $30,600. Minus $6500 for trade in. Took the rebates and got 5.24% apr. Couldn't get the 0% because I'm only 23 with not much of a credit history. But it was def. a deal I could not pass up. Is the 8k difference between the sticker price of the 2012 or the final price including any rebates?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts