DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 2500 v10 that needs a new crank position sensor. I have called over 2 dozen auto parts stores, 6 dealerships, and even several auto salvage yards in my area. No one has the part and none of the warehouses have the part to send to the stores. I tried the online stores too but the part either shows out of stock or there is no way to get a real person to verify they actually have the part.
The dealerships say the part(56027864)has been discontinued but there is no replacement. Apparently there isn't one in any dealership in the country. Aftermarket auto parts stores say the standard pt# pc343 is on national back order.
Has anyone else run into this? My truck is down until I get a new sensor. I would appreciate any advice to help solve this problem.
Thanks
p.s. If there is already a thread on this issue I am sorry but I didn't find it.

·
Registered
3,062 Posts
A real long shot, but any chance one for a Viper V10 would work, truck or sports car?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From what I have read the truck engine and the viper engine are completely different except that they share the same number of cylinders and don't share any common parts. Someone correct me if I am mistaken because I would be happy if a different part could be used if available.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Update!
A shop that I use sometimes found one. They originally said they couldn't but they did. I don't know where they found it yet but they said it wasn't easy. I thought I might have found one after calling even more stores but the story was there wasn't one in a State near me.
Good luck to anyone else needing one of these sensors. I don't think they are going to get any easier to find.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Would one from the 5.9 work? The V10 as I understand it is basically a 5.9 with 2 more cylinders, would that sensor maybe work.

I just bought a 96 V10 and all these threads about unavailable parts and little to no support is starting to make me regret it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, I apologize because I'm sure this is probably the wrong place to post this but I'm new so I'm not sure where exactly I am supposed to post at lol. I have a 95 2500 8.0 liter V10 and I'm trying to figure out the exact size of the camshaft position sensor mounting bolt. Does anyone have any idea?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Same situation

Hi, I have the same problem. My truck is a 97 4x4 V10 Auto ext cab. My truck is down til I get or to put it more clearly, find a new sensor. Problem is this truck is my and my Kid Sis's only transportation. Were just two girls stuck out in the boonies now with no transportation for 2 & 1/2 months now. I'm on a fixed income so buying another vehicle is out of my means.

Can anyone please help. Please tell me where I can find this sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Alli

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Hi, I have the same problem. My truck is a 97 4x4 V10 Auto ext cab. My truck is down til I get or to put it more clearly, find a new sensor. Problem is this truck is my and my Kid Sis's only transportation. Were just two girls stuck out in the boonies now with no transportation for 2 & 1/2 months now. I'm on a fixed income so buying another vehicle is out of my means.

Can anyone please help. Please tell me where I can find this sensor?

Thanks in advance.

Alli
try calling Dodge or get one from a wrecking yard

·
Registered
131 Posts
V-10 parts are mostly N/A from the dealer, long out of stock. Some of the sensors work in a Viper application and have been cleaned out.
If you have a '97 the Standard Motor Products number is PC343, they come up on Ebay sometimes.
If you can find one for an older V-10, OBDI version, it should work, but there is the potential for interference if the tone ring is a different diameter and you will have to change the connector, but the pinout is the same.

Got curious and found this:
https://dvautoparts.com/discount-st...97-03-dodge-ram-3500-8-0ll-v10-w-lrjilnomjqqq

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the same problem with my 94 Ram 2500 V10. Standard Motor Products part # PC37 will work, but there are none to be found. Did see one on ebay for $400.00 listed under Viper parts. My truck is lawn art until I can find a fix. Is there any conversion possible to use the newer sensor?

·
Registered
131 Posts
PC 37 is the camshaft not crank sensor. based on the the mounting tab. If that is what you need, good, then they seem to still be around. If you need a crank sensor and you have the original part number, then you should be able to figure out what the aftermarket replacement number is (was) and go from there. The later '97-up crank sensor should work, as the eletrical pinout is the same, you would need them side by side with a wiring diagram to change the pigtail to fit your truck. You need to verify that the depth (length) of the sensor is the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
The cam sensor is what I'm needing. And they seem to be non-existent. I've found one on ebay for $500.00. I searched the salvage yards within driving distance and nothing there either.
I ordered a crank sensor by mistake and after it arrived decided to keep it rather than return it. Not like it's going to spoil.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I'd return the crank sensor. I've helped several people on here fixing engines who went through several brand new crank sensors before they got one that actually worked. You are correct that it won't spoil, but it may not be good right now. If you wait until you need it, and it doesn't work, you'll likely be out of the return and or warranty period.

Also that sucks about the cam sensor, I actually looked it up round abouts these parts and they're all out of stock as well. Not sure why that's the case.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had hoped that there was a way to use the cam sensor for '96 and later. But from the research I've done it doesn't work. It's frustrating to have my V10 sitting as lawn art because of a sensor. As I said, there are some people willing to sell me one for $500.00. If in a few weeks I can't find one anyplace else (and it doesn't look good) I might have no other choice.

·
Registered
367 Posts
Have you checked with a dealer? I know it's kind of sacrilege to buy something from a dealer, but it'd have to be better than $500.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Cam sensor

Rock Auto's economy one is available: ULTRA-POWER 5S1275 for $39.99, not something permanent, but might get you going while waiting.:smileup:

Never mind...that's '96-'02...sorry

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem with my 94 2500 V10. I finally found one for $200.00 new. I couldn't bring myself to pay out $500.00 to the vultures on ebay for a used part. I also replaced the coil packs. Truck starts and runs. Idles good but on acceleration it backfires. Also after a couple of minutes of idle it dies and won't start again. after a few hours it starts and idles good again with the same result. It's driving me crazy. Anyone have advise?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts