DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
477 Posts
Well after looking at the interweb for information. I'm definitely interested in knowing what people think of it I'm tempted to get one myself now.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Honestly I like it. i hear you get better performance from magnaflow, but I got a good deal and I like the way the tips come out angled behind the wheels. I might switch over to a magnaflow muffler but keep the tailpipe setup.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I had it out the back at first but I switched it for two reasons I liked the out the sides and the kits out the back the drivers side pipe support hook is a little to far up where theres a bit of hang and wobble when you bounce and I didn't like that. granted Its an easy fix if you can weld and have a welder but I just swapped it out for out the sides

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
i am going to say neither, as i have yet to see any posted significant gains from cai. my answer changes if you are going to start upgrading the cam shaft valves ect. though.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I like Vararams idea of pulling air from in front of the radiator. Its ambient fresh air and its also a high pressure region, which should help force some of that air into the throttle body. Its a design that has proven itself well on other sports cars over the years, such as the Vette, etc..
--Glenn

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'll let you know I just picked up a vararam will install this weekend. Honestly don't see it being any worse in the rain/snow/sleet than a traditional ramair same concept different location. plus I've seen the pics from the 4th Gen which brings its air from behind the grill and water doesn't make it over the lip. Plus oiled filters are supposed to stop water from entering the the TB so it should be ok. If it turns out to be shit I'll send it back no harm no foul. I doubt that'll be the case though I've heard about 98/2 good/bad ratio on these things

·
Registered
128 Posts
I`ve had a Vararam on my 08 Ram for about a year now and the install is different than on a 4th gen ram. You have to remove the front bumper and remove the tow hooks and their mount since it uses that hole for the intake. Rain and snow are no problem since it would have to travel atraight up for about 2 feet. I put window screen in front of the intake scoop to keep bigger stuff from getting in. The only problem I`ve had is the screen plugging up if I`m driving in wet snow, only has to have about 25% of it blocked for the engine light to come on. There is a noticeable increase in low end torque which isn`t a shock when you consider the difference in size of the intake tubes.

·
Registered
15,696 Posts
tks moose and hemitrx, must be getting old, not interested in getting out and cleaning screen on long trips in the snow. we used to turn our air breathers over and expose the air filter over for some good sound and seat of the pants gains. now you have to spend all kinds of money for this. lol

1 - 13 of 13 Posts