DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a can of VHT Nightshade for $11 from advanced auto parts and decided to blackout my tail lights. Took about 30 mins and looks great. Just have to make sure you wash the lights with soap and water to remove any oil or grime. The first picture is the before and the other two are the after...enjoy

Attachments

·
Registered
230 Posts
Man that looks good I did mine the same way except I wet sanded it first found a really good video on YouTube on how to do it congrats on the good look

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I cleared mine. Clear will make it shinier, to match the clear on the paint. Looks good though man.

Another reason I cleared mine was because I masked off the reverse lights, so there was a "lip" there, so clearing it all smoothed that "lip" out. Also helps protect.

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Not the best pic, but you can see how it is "shiny" with clear:

I'm not sure if it would be dull or satin or what without clear, never did a set without clear.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not the best pic, but you can see how it is "shiny" with clear:

I'm not sure if it would be dull or satin or what without clear, never did a set without clear.
i really wanted to do that to my lights as well but i couldn't find my painters tape anywhere laziness i guess...:LOL:

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
I hear you lol. It was a MAJOR PITA to do. Probably just because I want everything just perfect though. The tails weren't too bad, only had one sharp corner, but the damn third brake light was tough. In the end I'm glad I spent the time to do it, I like the look on the white paint and get to see where I'm going at night when backing up lol.

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
looks great! like snrusnak said its a pita to tape off the spot for the reverse bulbs, i did that and my 3rd brake light and taped off the 2 spots for the cargo lights... are you going to do your 3rd brake light?

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
looks good guuys and it is a very easy mod to do and the outcome is awesome too

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
looks great! like snrusnak said its a pita to tape off the spot for the reverse bulbs, i did that and my 3rd brake light and taped off the 2 spots for the cargo lights... are you going to do your 3rd brake light?
I will eventually do the 3rd brake light and will tape off the white. I just resealed my light so i don't want to have to go through dealing with another leak...

·
Registered
236 Posts
WOW!! looks GREAT!!!

·
Registered
135 Posts
This might be a dumb question, but do you guys remove your taillights first then paint them or just mask off the truck?

·
Registered
13,690 Posts
Remove them, it only takes a few minutes and is much easier, that way you don't have to mask the whole truck lol. And you can work on a workbench.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts