DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
406 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you have to sand the taillight before applying the vht i would rather not because this will be my first time doing it so if i mess up on the vht id like to be able to remove it and have the taillight back to original without all the fine scratches the sand paper caused.

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
I'm not sure it would adhere well without scuffing up the plastic first. This is true for pretty much any paint application. Don't worry, if it's screwed up, you can always sand out the scratches and polish back and you'll never know it was sanded. Wet sand though, don't do it dry or the paper will clog up.

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Yes you need to wet sand it but before you do it research it here and youtube once your fine with the directions go for it mine came out like glass.

wet sand tails
clean very good with alcohol then wipe with water
hit it with fine light coats of vht
let it dry (then do as many coats as you want )

1-2 light coats =a light tinted tail
2-3 med coats =a dark tail

then after vht dries wet sand again
then apply clear coat id say 5-6 coats
after clear dries wet sand that
then youll want to use compound and buff the shit out of it i find it easier to buff on the truck

then stand back and be amazed

here are a few i did

Good luck

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
as dodgert said, yes you need to/ should, mine didnt turn out like dodgert's did, no wheres near, but due to legal "issues" I removed my vht from the 2 tails but left the 3rd brake... the tails look like shit since I removed it, I would say its next to impossible to get them back to factory after removing the vht... I am going to redo mine in the spring but alot lighter (mine were pitch black during the day, but looked wicked at night..... I am going to take my time next time

when it was sunny out you could barely see my brake lights

·
Registered
13,697 Posts
^ you should be able to get them looking like glass again; wet sand them (start with 1000, then 1500, then 2000), then buff with rubbing compound, then polish with polishing compound. I've done it many times on headlights when they get "foggy" and they look like glass when done.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Yes you need to wet sand it but before you do it research it here and youtube once your fine with the directions go for it mine came out like glass.

wet sand tails
clean very good with alcohol then wipe with water
hit it with fine light coats of vht
let it dry (then do as many coats as you want )

1-2 light coats =a light tinted tail
2-3 med coats =a dark tail

then after vht dries wet sand again
then apply clear coat id say 5-6 coats
after clear dries wet sand that
then youll want to use compound and buff the shit out of it i find it easier to buff on the truck

then stand back and be amazed

here are a few i did
What grit of sand paper did you use? And what kind of clear did you spray?

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
as dodgert said, yes you need to/ should, mine didnt turn out like dodgert's did, no wheres near, but due to legal "issues" I removed my vht from the 2 tails but left the 3rd brake... the tails look like shit since I removed it, I would say its next to impossible to get them back to factory after removing the vht... I am going to redo mine in the spring but alot lighter (mine were pitch black during the day, but looked wicked at night..... I am going to take my time next time

when it was sunny out you could barely see my brake lights

Try sanding all of it off then clear coat it then wet sand the clear then buff it out if not well you know vht makes red to right

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Try sanding all of it off then clear coat it then wet sand the clear then buff it out if not well you know vht makes red to right
^ you should be able to get them looking like glass again; wet sand them (start with 1000, then 1500, then 2000), then buff with rubbing compound, then polish with polishing compound. I've done it many times on headlights when they get "foggy" and they look like glass when done.
good info, thanks fellas. Like i said I am going to give it another shot, My buddy gave an idea of doing the outer edges (just the red reflective stuff which is on the inside of the light, pretty dark, so mask the edges off more less, than do the actualy refelctors for the lights a bit lighter, kinda like rocoon eyes I guess LOL not sure if it would look good though, I dont really think so

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
All you guys with your smoked lights and clear reverse patch make me jealous. I do not have a steady enough hand to cut out a good mask and dont want an all black tail light...

Anyone wanna sell/trad eme theirs :D

·
Registered
3,100 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts