DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal for the Hemi to vibrate at idle or while in park. I can see the antenna, and passenger seat shake. It's not much, but noticeable. Is it because it drops from 8 to 4 cylinders? I also noticed the tach needle move up and down ever so slightly.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I can't say I've noticed anything too excessive on mine. Also - I don't think MDS is active when the engine is idling (correct me if I'm wrong).

I do notice some vibration when the MDS kicks in though. It's not enough to be annoying but it is noticeable. The MDS vibration seems to have definitely eased off though now I'm nearly at my first thousand miles.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Good to know

I have noticed the same thing on my express. The needle moving up and down has me more concerned than the vibration(its hard to contain 390 horses). In talking with someone that is good with cars he said it may be the AC unit coming on and off which is normal to keep it lubed. Have you noticed your truck dropping rpm's when driving? It is like its shifting but not as agressive. What about a whining/humming noise at the 1100 - 1400 rpm range?

I love my truck and am hoping that these are all normal functions of the newer technology. My previous vehicle was a 97 GMC.

Oh and my 'Eco' monitor shuts off at idle so I am assuming that it shuts off when the vehicle is not in motion, in order to give good off the line performance. Just a guess though.

Thanks for posting your observations with this!

·
Registered
7 Posts
mine too...

When my truck is in Neutral or Park the truck will idle at about 700rpm with rpm fluctuating a little up and down with little vibration, seems normal. When in drive and warmed up the rpm's will drop down to 500rpm with absolutely no vibration and smooth idle.... No fluctuation in rpm. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I've noticed it. Surprised at how much engine vibration there is in this vehicle. Hoping it might settle down once broken in.

Ed

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've noticed it. Surprised at how much engine vibration there is in this vehicle. Hoping it might settle down once broken in.

Ed
Good to hear I'm not the only one. I thought for sure a big V8 would have zero vibrations kinda like an old 72 Delta 98 I used to have...you couldn't even tell it was on.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I was gonna post the same topic. I figured I was being a little too picky my antenna shaking but now im glad i saw this post. I also wondered if the ECO mode was active at idle. I hope somebody has an answer. Thanks for the post

·
Registered
24 Posts
The MDS isn't active when stationary.

The conditions necessary:

* Low engine load
* 1200 to 3000 rpm
* Vehicle speed between 12 mph and 90 mph
* Battery voltage from 9 volts to 15 volts
* Oil pressure from 15 psi to 147 psi
* Oil temperature greater than 120 F
* Engine coolant temperature from 158 to 248 F
* Ambient temperature from 14 F to 248 F
* No throttle position sensor or MDS faults

If you listen - you can hear (and feel) when the MDS is active.

·
Registered
251 Posts

* Low engine load
* 1200 to 3000 rpm

Yeah, I got it backwards. I just can't believe that my old truck had a smoother idle than this one.

·
Registered
44 Posts

* Low engine load
* 1200 to 3000 rpm

Thanks for the post. This is good to know:smiley_thumbs_up:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've got 12000 miles on a 2010 model now and the vibration at idle/park/low speeds is significant to the point it actually causes discomfort overtime. The passenger headrest also has very visable vibration.

My question is what seating do you guys have? I'm wondering if the leather bucket seats make the matter worse or not. I'm having a very hard time calling this normal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
This has to be something related to the motor mount, considering I can't find any way to link to to a specific accessory or sub-system. I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't take a drive down to a dealer and see what they have to say.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My ram express just hit 1500 miles and I've noticed the only time I feel any vibrations is when the motor is cold and idling. It's not a constant vibration though its almost like the motor is shaking around a little bit. My previous vehicle (08' Jeep Patriot) shook constantly when idling, especially when in D and the AC was on. That 4 banger hated the load of the AC. Just an idea I'm running 87 octane gas and have decided on my next fill up to try 89. The owner's manual recommends it and who knows maybe the motor will run smother with higher octane gas.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I can tell you exactly what the dealer is gonna say..."could not duplicate customer complaint". Mine shakes only when engine is warm.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Similar to my issue

I know this thread is older, but yes I posted something similar to this, and was told it is fairly normal. My dad's Express seems to exhibit the issue. I even showed my service tech, and after that they said they'd hook it up to check for any issues... nope nothing wrong! I have learned to live with it, and every once and a while it freaks me out when I see my backpack bouncing in the passenger seat at idle haha

·
Registered
346 Posts
Everything in these trucks is lighter and thinner, so what may not have been noticable in an older truck, may be in these.

The metal and such just ain't think enough or heavy enough to fully dampen the vibes anymore.

Thank the fuel economy requirements for this.

I noticed tonight while washing mine, that if you put your hand on the outer door skin and lean against it while washing the bottom of the rocker panels, the door panel gives. This is the 1st truck I have had that has such thin sheet metal.

·
Registered
9 Posts
It's funny because the dealer can observe the same problem I can but because "the computer" doesn't say anything is wrong, there isn't anything they can do about it.

They did perform an ECM update they found in another technical bulletin but now the transmission is shifting roughly. I'm going to hope it's shifting roughly because the memory got flushed and it has to relearn my driving habits again.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts