DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's the story. About a month ago I was passing someone a got to a relatively high speed around 95mph I believe. At this speed the truck began to vibrate very loudly in a droning fashion. A few moments later after I got down to high way speed white smoke began poring out the back. long story short transfer case cracked at the rear and pored oil on exhaust. I am not 100% certain (because of the fact at the time my exhaust was very loud and may have muffled any small vibration at highway speed) that there was a vibration before this event. After driving it patched up for a while till I was able to but a new one; a vibration occurred from 50-65 mph 60mph being the worst. After I changed the tcase I assumed that would be the end of it.. Wrong, same vibration no better. I checked for play on the tcase yokes and nothing. The tcase was off of a salvaged 2012 truck with 20,000 miles on it. Checked u-joints for any sign of being bad and they felt fine. Removed front drive shaft all together and still nothing. I have notice that there is beginning to be a slack in drivetrain when going into reverse or drive. My 2 main culprits right now I believe are either a drive shaft balance or maybe rear differential? The vibration is definitely coming from driveline and is not through the steering wheel. The vibration occurs under acceleration, deceleration and constant speed. Any ideas or experiences? Also I will be getting tires rebalance this week. The truck is a 2006 4x4 trx4 1500 with the nv243 tcase, 131,000 miles and a 5.7 hemi QC

·
Registered
38 Posts
did you check all the tranny mounts? friend of mine had a similar issue when hitting highway speeds. He went thru and check all the u joints and bearing and all that stuff and it never fixed it he ended up buyin a new truck anyways but if the mounts are gone it would allow for some movement there

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could it have something to do with when I remounted the transfercase? There was a mount under it. That's the only mount I can think of

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It has a 2.5 inch front leveling kit but it's been on the truck for over a year without any issues until now

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It started imediaty after I installed it. It seems to be coming from the back not the transmition but behind it. There is a thud when switching from neutral to drive or to park and reverse. To me that tells me maybe it's a u-joint? But when I had the drive shaft off there wasn't any slop in them. Also; when the broken transfer case was in It developed a vibration almost the same but not as bad. Once I put in the new one it just got worse

·
Registered
38 Posts
It started imediaty after I installed it. It seems to be coming from the back not the transmition but behind it. There is a thud when switching from neutral to drive or to park and reverse. To me that tells me maybe it's a u-joint? But when I had the drive shaft off there wasn't any slop in them. Also; when the broken transfer case was in It developed a vibration almost the same but not as bad. Once I put in the new one it just got worse
I had a ford ranger when I was younger and I had a very very bad habit of shifting gears in that truck before I brought it to a complete stop. very very hard on the drive line ended up eventually blowing the rear diff all to hell in her. I'd check all the mounts you pulled apart and make sure they're all tight and good if they are you could jack up the ass end of your truck block the front wheels so she don't take off on ya and put it in neutral and get under it and try and turn your rear drive shaft by hand (of your could turn the wheels and watch your shaft) to see if theres play in the shaft before you rear wheels turn if there it you may be losing your rear end

·
Registered
29 Posts
I had a simliar situation or vibration and the driveshaft was installed backwards and it resulted in it being out of balance and creating vibrations at certain speeds. I had work done at a dealership under warranty and they did failed to mark it when reinstalling.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Funny thing is I use my column shifter to help me decelerate. I've noticed for awhile that putting it in first while slowing down without a little rpm rise will cause it to jam into first. I was never aware it could cause differential issues. My old 1998 ram 1500 5.9 v8 had 240000 miles on it and I did it fr 2 years while I had it with no issues. But it did crops my mind that the vibration seems to be coming from the back and there is a slack in the drivetrain now that that could be the issue. Being in college and working in my hometown I drive 2 and a half hours twice a week and have been driving it with this vibration fr ahwile. I'm sure it's bad for it but I don't have the financial means at the moment to fix it till next month. Any other suggestions on what it could be?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts