DODGE RAM FORUM banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi gang,

My new Volant CAI arrived on Friday. I installed it this morning. :smiley_thumbs_up:

At idle and easy acceleration, you can't even notice the new intake. But when I leaned my foot into a little bit, I could definitely hear the low end roar building up under the hood until around ~4000 rpms, at which time the noise from the higher revving engine more or less out paced the throttle roar.

I've read a fair bit of discussion here on the board about mpg gains and whatnot. I can't comment on the horsepower as my butt dyno really isn't that finely tuned and I'm not really an aggressive driver. I can comment though on the mpg change. Before I installed the CAI, my combined city/highway driving for the last 2 weeks or so has been somewhere between 13.8 mpg and 14.6 mpg, pegged. After the I installed the CAI, this jumped up to 15.5 mpg almost immediately. I made the same trip today as I had been making for the last two weeks, and I also made another 17 mile run each way tonight to go play hockey. When I pulled in the driveway when I got home, the EVIC was showing 15.6 mpg.

I'll give it another couple weeks (~2 tanks of fuel) before I pass final judgement, but if these first indications hold through, then I will be very happy with my investment, as with the amount if driving I do, this will represent some real dollar gains for me.

I've attached a pic of my new Volant CAI installed.

Saw-

Attachments

·
Registered
150 Posts
installed the same CAI on my 09 and noticed the same mpg results. I drive it with a heavy foot more often just to hear it roar more. did it fit the inside of the fender well? had to seal it with a rubber strip on mine. i also attached a flex tube on the underside that goes to my bumper.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The fit was a little off and I did have to fuss with it a little to get it in. The air box sits about 3/4" higher than it should to line up exactly with the fender air hole. When the weather warms up a bit more, I'll put some more time into it. And I will be adding the flex pipe as well, or hopefully, if Volant releases the ram air duct for this truck, I'll install that.

I posted more pics of the installation in the Knowledge Base forum

JJ

·
Registered
150 Posts
The fit was a little off and I did have to fuss with it a little to get it in. The air box sits about 3/4" higher than it should to line up exactly with the fender air hole. When the weather warms up a bit more, I'll put some more time into it. And I will be adding the flex pipe as well, or hopefully, if Volant releases the ram air duct for this truck, I'll install that.

I posted more pics of the installation in the Knowledge Base forum

JJ
i think they already sell the air duct for your ram, not sure, have to check it. i couldn't wait and think the flextube does the same at only a fraction of the cost. both will help! :smiley_thumbs_up:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts